1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Ronny Deila Thread

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Glasgow_Bhoy88, Jun 6, 2014.

Discuss The Ronny Deila Thread in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

The bosses at Liege know what they’re at anyway

2. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman

Mental that. How you'd want to go from being a legend in the top city in the world, making a great salary and living in a (probably) kick * studio apartment right in the center of Manhattan.......to going to live in probably THE most boring country in Europe with a bang average team, where the highest accolade you'll manage is winning domestic trophies in Belgium.

I'd be staying in New York like if it was me

3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Closer to home. Managing in Europe which is far more attractive and high profile than in MLS.

If he was to have success with Standard Liege, he’ll end up with a job in the Netherlands or even Germany etc.

BigWilly likes this.
  4. charlietully

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Bringing Kris Commons in as Assistant.

Callum McGregor and packybhoy like this.
  5. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

Charlie Mulgrew to hold the laptop.

6. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Big Mulgrew to hold the jerseys while Ronny pans Commons’ melt in :giggle1:

Callum McGregor likes this.
  7. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The standard liege fans will no doubt be subjected to this filth

Rydo1888* likes this.
  8. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

Hero. He'll be successful there too.

BigWilly likes this.
  9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I really hope so, because he’s really likeable.

but it annoys me that a lot of our fans have rewrote history with him. He never should have been here, he got the opportunity far too early in his career. And it wasn’t good for him or us.

Guchi Gucci and johnfife1959 like this.
  10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

11. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    I maintain that his time here was not a waste and did us some good. Primed us for the sort of thing Brendan would end bringing. Rodgers executed it better, but Deila’s thinking wasn’t far behind.
    He also brought player fitness on leaps and bounds (pardon the slight pun) after Lennon’s first spell.

BigWilly and Callum McGregor like this.
  12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    And yet he had one of the unfittest teams I’ve seen, with the old Norway coach that he papped us out the CL highlighting the fact his teams badly faded. He brought in a good base for Rodgers to work with, definitely, he got the job far too early. He wasn’t good enough, but I wish him all the best.

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Ronny Deila on Celtic struggles and why he 'lost himself' in Scotland

Ronny Deila has claimed Scottish football's culture 'revolved around fear and results' and reckons he 'lost himself' at Celtic

The Norwegian boss has been widely praised for the job he's done at Standard Liege this season. He was Hoops boss for two years and won a couple of titles and a League Cup.

But Deila has admitted he never felt at home at Parkhead because he was unable to relax.

He said: "In Scotland, the culture revolved around fear and results. I don't believe in that. I believe in respect.

You get that through two things - knowing what you're talking about and treating people right.

"With a reign of fear, you can put everyone on edge, yes. But that will only yield short-term results. If I start calling someone names, there is a chance that they will react angrily, we will clash and we will grow even further apart.

"If I tell you that I am disappointed in you and explain why I was not satisfied, we can get somewhere.

"I felt like I kind of lost myself at Celtic. I had no room for movement. I am not a 9-5 guy. I work hard and am structured, but at the same time there is craziness in me. I need to be able to go out and have a drink with friends.

"I felt like I had to constantly look back there. It was like I had gone from the first year of primary school straight to the last year of secondary school, it felt like that.

"I am proud of how I did there, but I felt I had skipped steps. That's why I went back to Norway, to Valerenga.

"There I was watched extra closely again because I was that coach who had worked at a top foreign club. I started behaving the way the outside world wanted me to behave.

"That's dangerous because if you are not true to yourself, you lose your credibility. That's why New York City and even the first lockdown came so handy for me. For the first time in 25 years, I could think about who I was and I got new energy.”

And Deila, in an interview with a Belgian newspaper, insisted winning trophies wasn't his main aim at Celtic.

He pointed out: "I've never been too focused on winning prizes. I like projects. That also attracted me to Standard Liege. At Stromsgodset, my first club as a manager, getting better was the motivation and eventually, the prizes came naturally.

"Then I went to Celtic, where winning was mandatory.”

Fully87 likes this.
  14. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Fair play to the guy. Always liked him.

BigWilly, The_Bhoy and Rydo1888* like this.
  15. horseshoe

Ronny has always been straight forward and honest about his time in charge, that he didn't fully understand the pressure and scale of the Celtic job until he was in it. Compare that to the ego on Rodgers and Lennon that will probably never let them admit making a single mistake or fault in their time here.

16. PaddyJamieson

Fair play to him. Obviously just wasn't suited for the job - but he's big enough to admit that. Wish him all the best.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Ronny Deila has stated he believes the atmosphere at his current club Standard Liege's ground is better than celebrated Parkhead nights.

The Norwegian boss was Celtic boss from 2014 for two years and led the Hoops to two titles and a League Cup before leaving the club.

He's since gone on to manage Valerenga and New York City before returning to Europe with Standard Liege last summer.

Deila has enjoyed an outstanding season with the club who finished 14th out of 18 teams last term and they could get into the title play-offs after a 3-1 win against Charleroi on Friday night.

And he was so impressed with the frenzied atmosphere at Standard's Stade Maurice Dufrasne, he reckons it even surpassed Pakhead's famous European occasions.

Deila stressed: "What an atmosphere that was.

"I was at Celtic...well this is better.

"It's great to be a part of this. I had goosebumps during the match.

"The supporters pushed us tonight and that's why we won the game. The noise generated at home games this season has been incredible.

"We are still fighting for a top-four spot and a play-off place. We are dreaming here."

Deila's work with Standard Liege has seen him linked with a move to Belgian champions Club Brugge, who axed Scott Parker last month.

18. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Hes lost the plot. Time to put him in a home

BigWilly likes this.
  19. Rydo1888* Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Abit of recency bias methinks

Nothing tops parkhead ronny

20. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Ronny fucksake you can't say anythings better than Celtic tut tut.