1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben Wylie

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Dec 8, 2021.

Discuss Ben Wylie in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

2. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Good luck to the lad. Hope to see him in the 1st team in years to come. A defensive midfielder? Always useful to have.

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Mentioned him a few time's in the youth thread. Always looks a standout and involved loads in the highlights..

Creative player with a good left peg..

Like the look of him..

NomDePlum likes this.
  4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

As soon as Ben Wylie put pen to paper on his new deal that extends his stay at Celtic until the summer of 2024, there was only one thing on his mind.

The midfielder had been working on the deal for a number of months but had kept the negotiations quiet from his mum and dad back in Ireland.

So, when it was all done and dusted, he made the phone-call to surprise them with the big news.

Speaking to the official Celtic website, he said: “It was obviously such a proud moment to get the deal signed. This is my third contract with the club so it’s another big one.

“For my family, it was such a great feeling as well. I kept the deal quiet from them, so when I broke the news to them yesterday, my mum was over the moon and my dad was as proud as I’ve ever heard him.

'Hopefully now I can repay them both and play at Celtic Park and make some memories for them.'

Having joined Celtic at the age of 16, the 19-year-old from Ballymena has progressed through the ranks and is now a key man in Tommy McIntyre’s B team.

Now having signed the new contract, the aim is to make the step up to Ange Postecoglou’s first team squad at the earliest possible opportunity.

He added: “I was up with the first team for training at the start of the season, but as the campaign has got busier, then it’s become more separated.

“It was amazing to be up there, but it's a massive difference, just the speed of play and intensity is so fast.

“Celtic produce youth players, so that was part of my decision when I joined the club at 16.

“Now I just want to try and get myself on the bench by the end of the season, get myself noticed and impress the manager. Then hopefully by pre-season I can train with the team again and give it a good go.”

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

B team midfielder Ben Wylie is back on the pitch and already on goalscoring form after several weeks out injured.

The 19-year-old sat down with Celtic TV to talk about his experience in the Lowland League, his team-mates, and the upcoming Rangers game at Paradise.

Wylie, who hails from Ballymena, got himself back on the scoresheet on Saturday in Celtic B’s 3-1 victory over Civil Service Strollers in the Lowland League.

Often testing himself from range, Wylie came off the bench to score an impressive spiralling attempt goalward to seal the win and round off a good performance from the young team.

Wylie said he and the Bhoys have enjoyed the season playing in the Lowland League, with all the games having been competitive.

He said: “I felt I got off to a strong start at the beginning of the season, I was scoring and setting up goals regular, just doing my thing and doing what is expected of me.

“Regarding, statistics and numbers and that, I’m happy with what I’ve done this year.”

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Anyone know how much these youngsters earn per week? Not much surely

13. DdoubleD

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Probably slightly above min wage.

Skelleto likes this.
  14. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Around £500 per week is standard starting for their first pro contracts with the club. That’s why quite a few have moved on, like Morrison to Bayern, he’s on £5K a week there and pay for a lot of stuff for his family.

Skelleto likes this.
  15. celtic warrior

Imagine how bad my maths is I'm like £500 a week is decent then seeing its £26k a year before tax.

Imagine being in any job, whether it's your passion or not, being where it could be considered your dream.

To then get offered an immediate jump to £260k a year.

Maybe 1 in 100 people turns that down.

CookieMonster likes this.
  16. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Not to mention playing at a better level with better coaches and players. You never know how far you’ll go so it’s really a no brainer when offered that type of money.

celtic warrior likes this.
  17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member