1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Transfer window summer 22

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by jake10, Jun 1, 2022.

Discuss Transfer window summer 22 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. oh bhoy

we havent even been linked with any players from japan yet:40:

2. jambo_cfc

Winger and a striker I think are 100% , if McCarthy does go then another midfielder will come in.

still think we will get rid of ajeti, MJ , McCarthy , Jullien

I think he has the squad size to where he wants it and it will just be replacing 3 of the 4 that I still think will leave

3. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Part of the issue we face is that we’ll need to register a squad of 25 for the Champions League, 8 of which will need to be “homegrown” (at least four of the 8 being through our own youth system).

Getting rid of Jullien and Ajeti takes us down to 25 recognised first team players, but also losing McCarthy and MJ would hurt our homegrown quota. By my calculations, if we got rid of those four players and replaced them with the two Ange wants (flexible attacker + DM), then one of the two new signings would have to be Scottish to fit into our 25 man squad in an ideal world. Realistically Ideguchi is likely to be the odd man out again to make the numbers work and allow those two new signings to both be foreign (by registering a youth player as our 25th man).

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  4. ArturBorucCSC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    Nowt we haven't already seen or said ourselves, but in the absence of any proper links/rumours, this will have to do:

Reliable journalist Pete O’Rourke has claimed that Celtic will look to make two new first-team signings before the transfer deadline on September 1.

O’Rourke, speaking to The Transfer Tavern, claimed that Celtic are likely to target two more positions in particular before deadline day. He said:

“I think maybe a defensive midfielder seems to be the issue for them.

“So far this summer they haven’t been able to bring in several targets that they’ve been after and I think Postecoglou would also be looking for a new striker as well with Albian Ajeti set to move on.

So I think defensive midfield and centre forward are probably the two main areas that Celtic are looking to strengthen between now and the end of the window.”

https://www.footballtransfertavern....n-ajeti-latest-transfer-news-rumours-updates/

5. Lewis Kerr

Hope we get something soon. Desperately need some new rumours.

88jimmij88 likes this.
  6. saltire78

Stupid question maybe, but what exactly does "homegrown" mean to uefa? UK trained, British, Scottish, our own Youth Academy? For instance would O'Riley be UK by birth, or Danish by international selection etc?

7. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    I want to know if they actually enforce it and what is the punishment.

8. saltire78

I've no recollection of any team ever being pulled on it... Doesn't mean that they all ignore it, but that's why I was wondering if it was a foggy rule, with easy exceptions around it

9. King Kwon Gold Member Gold Member

I think it's something like having trained for a club in the country for at least 3 years between the age of 15-21. Eric Dier for example is not a homegrown English player despite playing for England because he was in Sporting's academy during that time. A lot of Irish kids end up counting as homegrown in the UK because they move to academies as teenagers. I'm not sure if it's considered UK wide though (e.g if English HG players also count towards Scottish club quotas).

10. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    There's 2 kinds

Academy trained - having spent 3 years between 15 and 21 at the club

And association trained 3 years between 15 and 21 in the sane association so Scottish teams.

For example Tierney would not be a homegrown player for Arsenal as he was Scottish trained

This is not gospel, if I am wrong please feel free to correct me anyone

11. Wizard of Oz

You need 4 players trained at the club for 3 years before they are 22 and 8 players trained in Scotland for 3 years before they are 22 (the 4 trained at you count as 4 of the 8). Currently we can meet the requirements with Bain, Welsh, Ralston, Taylor, McGregor, Forrest, Turnbull and Johnston registered. If you didn't have 8 homegrown players, you just leave a slot with no player and have a smaller squad. Players born after a certain cut off date (usually making them around 21 and under) are free to play unregistered regardless of homegrown status, if they've been eligible to play for your club for 2 uninterrupted seasons.

Bain, Benji, Hart, Ralston, Jura, Welsh, Jenz, Starfelt, CCV, Taylor, Bernabei, McGregor, Mooy, O'Riley, Hatate, Turnbull, Ideguchi, Forrest, Abada, Maeda, Jota, Kyogo, Giakoumakis and Johnston makes an eligible 24 man squad, leaving room for a signing.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
  12. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    I can imagine it will be, how will the huns fair if they reach the groups as i can’t imagine they’ll have much more than their keepers eligible. Wouldn’t surprise me if it was like a few hundred thousand fine

13. Keano88

14. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Think it may eek towards the last week of the window.

We will likely have a better chance of picking up a better quality of player as clubs panic to get rid. Also gives us more chance to get rid of our expensive nae users such as Ajeti and McCarthy.

CountyDownFaithful and Hammy89 like this.
  15. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Homegrown means a coming through the youths in the home association. Scottish homegrown means coming through a Scottish team.

16. StainseyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Hinkel !!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Christ with the negativity here the club are never going to do business early again. Just save it all for deadline day

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  17. Sentinel

I think it's because the 2 big signings were already "here". Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely delighted both CCV and Jota signed, but apart from them we have:

Bernabei - looks like he'll need time to settle and Taylor is still 1st choice LB for me, ie not a 1st team upgrade where we all feel is necessary, especially in Europe.

Siegrest - brilliant 2nd choice keeper.. Again, not strengthening the 1st team.

Mooy - an aged midfielder that does not bring the energy and dynamism we require, particularly in defence. He looks to me to be a Mccarthy upgrade, but that is saying absolutely nothing. Again... This is NOT strengthening the 1st team.

Jenz - pretty much see above.

I AM happy with what the club have done, but for the CL they NEED to do more. CDM is the biggest priority for me. It won't cure our defensive frailties completely, but it'll definitely help.

Lewis Kerr and stevoEOS like this.
  18. stevoEOS

Couldn’t agree more.

19. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Yeah we haven't really improved the starting XI from last season.

The squad is better but Ange spoke about coming back bigger, better and stronger and we need that to translate to the 1st team signings too.

Realistically I'd want at least one of the last two or three signings to really be able to come in and stamp down a place in the side.

20. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    When people say "last season" they aren't thinking of last season as a whole though, just the very end. The squad we have now is on another planet from the squad 1 year ago.

Last season Scales played in 13 games, Ajeti 17, Montgomery 18, Soro 19, Johnston 20, McCarthy 22, Bitton 38. This season those guys probably won't play a single game. Overall the first XI and the bench is massively improved from last season as a whole.

Half of last season was a mess with not a big enough squad and then injuries on top as well as a lot of new players we couldn't trust for months until they proved themselves. Where as we pretty much know we are going to win the League this season with the players we have already.