1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Gavin Strachan

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Jun 22, 2020.

Discuss Gavin Strachan in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Cleansheets

Except in the Xmas video...

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic midfielder Matt O’Riley has credited Gavin Strachan as one of the minds behind the team’s recent set-piece improvement, sharing it’s something they’ve been working specifically on.

The Bhoys have already scored a number of goals from free-kicks or corners this season, with defenders such as Stephen Welsh, Moritz Jenz and Carl Starfelt finding the back of the net.

Fans have wondered whether or not extra effort is being put into this at Lennoxtown, and it seems that is indeed the case

O’Riley told Celtic TV when asked if it’s been a focus from the coaching staff: “Yeah, Gavin Strachan specifically. He does quite a lot of work with me and few others on the training ground just to try and tighten up on a few things.

“I think that’s shown this season. I think it’s something that we’re going to try and develop off the back of last season because we’d like to score a few more. We’ve shown that it’s working.”

Strachan took a lot of stick from supporters for his role in the dreadful 2020/21 season, but it’s become apparent he is a valued member of Ange Postecoglou’s staff.

Known for his studious laptop style on the touchline, which became a meme that was even featured in a club Christmas advert, these comments will further ingratiate the coach with fans who are rapidly coming to appreciate his efforts.

It’s nice to hear the players credit individual coaching staff members, especially for unseen work, even if Ange Postecoglou stresses everything is a collective effort.

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Wllm likes this.
  4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Postecoglou has often talked about building on last season’s foundations to evolve this term, adding an extra degree of sophistication to his system now that the players have been grounded in his ideas. The coach wants to add a few more strings to his team’s bow, to offer alternative methods of hurting the opposition, and they appear to have done just that during the close season.

Celtic have carried a real threat from set-pieces three game into the new season, scoring from multiple corners already, but Postcoglou insists that he cannot take the credit for the improvement from dead-ball situations.

He explained: “It’s just the natural evolution of the team. Gavin Strachan is in charge of that area and puts a lot of work into it. There’s been a change in personnel, we’ve got players who really attack the ball.

“Cameron Carter-Vickers scored four goals last season from centre-half so it’s good to see defenders contributing. We’ve got guys like [Matt] O’Riley, [David] Turnbull, [Aaron] Mooy and Jota who have very good delivery.

“We want to hurt teams in different ways. If they close us down we have to find different ways to score. Gavin puts a lot of work into it and we now have the players to capitalise on it.”

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

6. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    Clearly a switch from Windows to Mac has helped him considerably

Creativecelt likes this.
  7. EddieBhoy1986

Reo's face is priceless.

King of Kings, Sean Daleer and Moore like this.
  8. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    He's like * this guy saying!

Sean Daleer likes this.
  9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

There are quotes from Reo Hatate in the press this morning about how he approached you after his World Cup snub and asked how he could better himself. You had said to him to improve in the final third. Since that conversation, he has registered two goals and six assists. Is that something that has pleased you?

Yes. He got his two goals from the full-back position. I think he took it literally when I said that! Look I think it is part of his game and all the coaches have individual responsibilities and he falls under Gavin Strachan's portfolio. Gavin will be the first to tell you that Reo is always the first in the door after a game asking for feedback. He is just that kind of player as he is constantly asking how he can improve and what areas he can get better in. I haven't had too many conversations with him. Usually, when he comes to see me he just wants a clear direction. Last year I felt that his fitness levels weren't where they should be and I felt he was dying in the last part of the games and he worked really hard on that. I think he is a lot better this year and a lot stronger. He asked me what the next layer is. I said to him for him to be the player he wants to be, and I know he has got it in him as he has always played in an attacking way, he has to have greater attacking output as he gets into such great areas. I am not dropping any pearls of wisdom as he knows the areas that he is constantly looking to improve. For me, it is just about making sure they also understand that all these things happen in time and with hard work and the right attitude. It is not just about me saying something and the players putting it into practice. I had one conversation with him but I guarantee that somebody like Gav (Strachan) has probably had one hundredconversations with him to make sure that all the information gets to him and he uses it well.

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic midfielder Reo Hatate has opened up on the influence Gavin Strachan has had on his career in Glasgow so far.

It was previously mentioned by Parkhead boss Ange Postecoglou that the Japanese playmaker had sought advice from the coach on improving his game.

At the time, the Australian said: "All the coaches have individual responsibilities and he [Hatate] falls under Gavin Strachan's portfolio.

"Gavin will be the first to tell you that Reo is always the first in the door after a game asking for feedback.

"He is just that kind of player as he is constantly asking how he can improve and what areas he can get better in.

"I haven't had too many conversations with him. Usually, when he comes to see me he just wants a clear direction.

Hatate arrived at the club last January and has taken the Scottish game by storm, helping the Hoops to a Scottish Premiership and League Cup along the way.

And after being asked a question about the impact video analysis and Strachan's coaching has on his game, the 25-year-old was keen to stress the importance of both.

Speaking during his pre-match press conference ahead of the match against St Mirren, he said: "I'm not sure how it directly impacts my play but it does help to see which part of the game was good and bad.

"Not talking from a personal perspective but also how I can contribute to the team so from that perspective, it helps."

Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
  12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    By all accounts, he’s a * brilliant Analysis, I never did get the furore over him using technology. Usually by the same * screaming about modernising the club.

13. horseshoe

People going tonto over him having a laptop in the dugout were so hilariously off their head, I almost miss it.

Liam Scales likes this.
  14. King Kwon Gold Member Gold Member

Is it just me or is this missing the part where Hatate opens up on the influence that Gavin Strachan has had on his career in Glasgow so far? :fear:

15. Creativecelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current Team:Kyogo; Invincible Team: Brown; Seville Team: Larsson; Burns Team: McNamara
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Various
    Analysis and data crunching is the way of the modern game. delighted he has this skill set and putting it to good use.

Liam Scales likes this.
  16. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Somebody tell Lennon that

:fear:

17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    To be fair I was lashing out at every *. I wanted everybody lynched..

18. EddieBhoy1986

Still think scoring directly from free kicks is something we dont do often enough. Can we not just tempt Naka over to Lennoxtown for a few weeks to show the lads how it's done?

19. jj81

Tbf it did look that way back then , not a fan of bumping posts to criticise people's opinions which looked /are true at that point , everything changes you can only comment on what you see at the time.

Same with players , start slow and underperformed then a few months later start playing out their skin and doing well , at that point when they commented the player wasn't, times change and so would opinions.

20. Cringer67

[​IMG]

DdoubleD and AussieGreek like this.