1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Better Call Saul

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Luis1967, Jan 14, 2014.

Discuss Better Call Saul in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Yeah, I really don’t know how you could skip an episode tbh. It wasn’t exactly boring either, I loved it.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  2. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

And as I’ve said before, knowing Gilligan the last episode will take on even greater meaning in the next one or two eps.

If there is one thing we know about this show is that it doesn’t waste a second. Everything means something.

3. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    That's me caught up. Season 6 has been excellent. Even though you know the fate of Gus via Breaking Bad that meeting with Don Eladio was pretty tense.

KRS-1888 likes this.
  4. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

Latest episode was class again...I'd kind of forgot about the guy approaching him beforehand but luckily watched that scene recently...they've changed the actor for some reason but the new guy done a job.Better Call Saul has been immense for a spin-off...I hope they've got more to come from the Breaking Bad universe.

Wllm and Saul Goodman like this.
  5. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    It’s in the future I read about the episode he gets the cab guy to Rob with him so he can blackmail him from giving away his secret I’m more interested in the past where he’s just became Saul proper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    Not a bad episode today with a super fast cameo from Walter and Pinkman.

7. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
  8. ticketyboo0 Gold Member Gold Member

Great episode this week and feel it's gonne get better, gonne be some finale.

9. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Tbh it was OK, didn't think it was all that great.

I guess we're getting a little insight into post BB.

I guess the old characters have all done their bit now so it's a case of maybe seeing what happens end game for Saul.

10. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    This review summed up my feelings on the latest episode / last season.

'So many missed opportunities and wasted moments. Again. Howard's wife asks Kim straight out, "Why are you doing this?"--something we ALL want to really know. Kim stares at her. Instead of giving her some good line, some excellent dialog, the director spends time showing her car driving away. Wasted.

It is also not convincing that Kim has basically devolved into this pedestrian domesticated wife, complete with a dead-end boring job and a suffocating social life. We get it--she felt guilty about Howard, but still that is not enough to explain her complete transformation from swinging big legal deals and facing down drug cartel leaders to what she has become. Maybe for 1 year afterward, but not the several years that have passed.

This episode, like others, is filled with contrived waiting scenes, such as Kim standing in Saul's waiting room after he signs the divorce papers, all the pedestrian details of Kim's job (just to show us how completely shell-shocked she is), her complete inability to even TALK to Saul, a man she loved, properly, despite being a highly intelligent, articulate attorney.

The show is classy, superbly directed and with great music, and even the "large strokes" of the writing are decent. What is missing is EXPOSITION. This show likes to throw you into the middle of a scene, where there is almost no context (sometimes zero), and let it play for 10 minutes, and only much later do they "reveal" what the scene was about. Hitchcock was great at mystery because he gave you a little context and motive to get you thinking; Gilligan thinks he can direct "mysterious scenes" by simply not telling you what the scene is about.

While this episode has more exposition than others (the tedious mall theft episode comes to mind), I was again left disappointed that so little happened in one hour. Only the action and fear scenes are the best now, such as the episode of Nacho on the run, or Lalo closing in on Gus after killing Howard. But all these long, lingering, silent closeups on expressionless faces, closeups of beepers being laid down on the table, potatoes being sliced, dough being cut into Cinnabuns, is akin to watching water drip or cars drive by / staring at people in a cafe. It's hiding lazy dialog and writing.

In essence, BCS is such an inferior show to BB precisely because it's so incredibly padded out, and very little happens (think of all the boring episodes with the Kim and Jimmy drama), whereas BB started with a bang, stayed dangerous and edgy all the way through, while BCS tries to come off classy and mysterious, but just wastes our time.

Think about Gus going into that private wine bar and having a conversation with the wine steward, who then fetches a favorite bottle for them to share together. Suddenly, for no reason, Gus just up and leaves. At first I thought perhaps he was worried that the cartel hired someone to poison him, but that was not clear, esp. since the steward was going to share the * bottle. No exposition or explanation on that. Yet that scene took about 10 minutes of screen time. Such inefficient writing and wasted scenes. And that scene was typical of the latest season. I'll just be glad to watch the final episode and be forever done with this second-rate spinoff from BB.'

11. Al Bootyerbaws

I like Better Call Saul but this series has been a bit of a letdown. Couple of good episodes and some great moments but as the post above says, a lot of it is just filler.

littlekennie and NakamuraTastic like this.
  12. Sparda

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King of Kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry
    I actually thought the season was pretty strong up until the second half. Episode 8/9 were good but not fantastic. The Gene stuff has dragged on far too long. They've been concentrating on pointless character arcs instead of wrapping up important plot elements. I don't get it. There's no way they can cover everything in one episode.

Like when Kim was in Jimmy's office getting the divorce papers done. The amazing parallels from when Chuck told Jimmy, "you never mattered all that much to me". They done nothing with it.

At this point I'm not expecting to get anything out of Jimmy about Howard, Chuck, Clifford Main, Lalo, their careers as a lawyer or probably even any BB stuff. I'm only only expecting a half-assed conclusion to his relationship with Kim and his Saul persona.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  13. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Would agree that the last three episodes have been a bit drawn out, however I would not put it past Gilligan to have us eating our words with a strong finale.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  14. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I can’t believe some of the posts in here. That last episode was utterly incredible, possibly the best episode of TV I’ve watched.

15. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Very very brave decision to wrap up the Cartel story so early in the final season. Threw everyone off even though we were all complaining because we knew most of their fates. Now? Still don’t know how it ends. It’s * tremendous television.

16. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

The only thing that will disappoint me is not going in to the background of Gus in Chile.

Would have loved a few flashbacks regarding that issue with a younger actor for Gus casted. A bit of background on how he got involved with Madrigal - Peter Schuler appeared to have a close bond with him.

17. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Fantastic ending.

FrankMcCallum and FCBarca like this.
  18. ticketyboo0 Gold Member Gold Member

Sad it's all over.

Saul Goodman likes this.
  19. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Meh..should have taken the 7 year deal and kept it in line with his character. Personally, I thought the last season was a snooze fest....

BB season finale had Neo-Nazis machine gunned in spectacular fashion

BCS was a long drawn out plea deal...but horses for courses as they say. Shame it's over.. but all good things.

Sparda likes this.
  20. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

I’m gutted for you that you think that. The best TV series I’ve seen by a mile and the last season for me was the best out the lot.

The full thing went full circle. Ultimately, the message was that everyone must at some point take responsibility and accept consequences for their actions.

The juxtaposition of him being in jail for life yet being more free than he’s ever been is perfect.

Sean Daleer likes this.