1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Maeda or Abada, if it was your choice?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Liam Scales, Jul 30, 2022.

Discuss Maeda or Abada, if it was your choice? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Who would be first choice?

2. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    For me it would be Jota on the left and Abada on the right, but I suspect Ange will start the majority of games with Maeda on the left to run teams ragged then bring Abada on later against tired defences. And I'm not too unhappy at that option.

NomDePlum and Liam Scales like this.
  3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Think I’m leaning towards that way, it’s Jota on the left that swings it for me. Maeda’s got an insane influence on the game more so than the numbers he posts but he still does get assists and goals, Abada’s end product is mental for a guy his age, but doesn’t have the same influence (even though he still does have a big influence on the game as well).

It’s trading off the opposites for me, decent end product and insane influence on the game or insane end product and decent influence on the game.

I think Jota * adores playing on the left though, and that’s what swings it for me.

Lupis likes this.
  4. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Jota just seems much more comfortable on the left and so has more of an impact from there. Against teams that park the bus where we are going to have the vast majority of the ball anyway, without needing to chase much, I'd definitely be starting Jota and Abada, but if we may need to close down high up the park it's probably Maeda starting. It's a nice change to have different viable options in those areas though.

Liam Scales likes this.
  5. PaddyJamieson

I've written about this a lot in the Maeda thread so I won't bore you by repeating, but I think Maeda is extremely underrated and is basically vital to the way we play. In my opinion he offers about as much as Abada going forward and, like a Milner in the Liverpool side of four or five years back, does so much hidden work that allows our system to work. I also think Jota is effective off the right, though I agree he probably excels on the left. He seems to get more assists off the right, which actually in a way suits his game more because he's not really the type to cut in and shoot, that's not so much in his arsenal.

6. Zanderama

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ALL OF THEM!!!!
    Abada. Bring Maeda on later on in the game to cause havoc down the left as Jota switches over to the right to terrorise the other side of defences (or Forrest comes on too)

7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Maeda just now..

8. horseshoe

They're both pish, start Forrest imo.

9. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Maeda.

10. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand old team to play for
    It's just horses for course for me. Abada on the right and Jota on the left against teams that are very defensive. Against teams that will attack more I'd play Maeda on the left and Jota on the right, so Maeda can press the * out of them.

11. jambo_cfc

Over the course think Abada gets you more goals and assists which is why he would be my choice. Would play maeda in Europe though as his pressing would benefit us

12. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Different players. I prefer Jota on the left though.

And still think Abada needs that regular game time to really improve. His finishing is definitely better than Maeda.

But the latter brings more off the ball.

Voted Abada for now.

greengrocer likes this.
  13. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Maeda will always be involved and hassling the opposition, whilst Abada has been anonymous in a few games. So Maeda for me at the moment when you consider overall value to the team. Good to have the option of both, of course.

14. PaddyJamieson

Exactly 50/50 :56: Good thing is both players will play 40+ games this season, injuries allowing, and will both have massive roles to play. Even though I prefer Maeda I think Abada is class and contributes so much - I'll never be unhappy to see him a starting line up. I do, however, think Ange will start Maeda in every big match this season.

Liam Scales likes this.
  15. Onefootwonder

Tough one and I can't call it. Both players offer different qualities.

16. Mr. Slippyfist

Maeda left, Jota right

17. horseshoe

This is the thing I really love about the squad Ange is trying to build, options that you can sub out and over the course of a season will both contribute good numbers, but they're not straight like for like swaps, they bring genuinely different attributes for their roles that can change a game, but still work within the same system. Kyogo or GG, Maeda or Abada, Juranovic or Ralston, completly different players that still work effectively as a unit.

18. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Horses for courses, expect both to improve significantly this season.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

19. jj81

Maeda

20. Onefootwonder

I do as well. I think both players have loads of potential and improvement coming. Abada started last season as a 19 year old and his figures and key input helped us win the league. I think he has massive potential.

Dublin Celt likes this.