1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Joe Hart

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Aug 3, 2021.

Discuss Joe Hart in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

Think it's gonna be a regular fixture this year.

2. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    I remember Ange trying it last season too :eek:

3. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Him, Mooy and McCarthy would be some race.

NomDePlum likes this.
  4. Maestro 08

Definitely going to be. I remember when Ange first joined there was a couple of howlers getting posted from his Yokohama team with keeper getting caught out miles off his line. Looks like we are gonna try and implement it this season. Yet to see that the risk is worth the small rewards tbh.

5. Ipswichbhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Can see the benefit of him playing further out against the teams that sit in against us in the league but surely we’re not doing that in the champions league

6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Massively giving me the fear..

His lack of mobility in his own box almost caused us for what would've been the second time in pre season alone..

Then don't get me started on how high he's being asked to play. Basically in-between the two centre halves on the halfway line. We're nowhere near good enough to do that against anyone decent and keep the ball constantly....meaning if he can't get about well enough in his own box, then what use will he be when running 40 yards back when the opposition are lining up a shot..

Bizzare the noticeable change in how he's being asked to play. He's done really well for us, but this is just ripping the * out of it from Ange....and looks completely unnecessary. Just basically risking disasters to pop 5 yard passes off left and right when our own centre halves can do it and McGregor drops deep..

7. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    This is the thing. It’s adding absolutely nothing to to our build up.

It’s not like he’s doing what other keepers who play like that do and inviting pressure and playing around it to break their press etc.

All he’s doing is getting in the way. It just looks ridiculous.

Dan Breen likes this.
  8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Pretty much..

He's being asked to play a sweeper keeper, Neuer type role but doing nothing..

Neuer would be out and slicing the press open and dinking ball's over *'s head's..

It's a risky game, even for the elite.....and sometimes goes wrong.....but it's all gonna end in tears for us..

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
    Dan Breen and Valhalla like this.
  9. davidhannah

I'm not worried at all. We've got a safe pair of hands in Joe Hart. The more he does it. The better he gets!

Let him play out from the back every SPFL game. He's not going to do it in the Champions League. I enjoyed seeing him coming out. Adds to the excitement. Its almost rubbing it in the faces of out opposition. So good even the goalkeer is our playing. Its nuts.

Its something different we've never seen before! The Scottish league put 10 men behind the ball. Hart is barely involved in most fixtures. A fact.

However. They will be practicing their shots from the half way line.

Again. I must have been watching a different game. I'd love to see him upfield. Ange is nuts. He's only read the attacking section of the library. Let's * embrace it!

I'm not saying Ange is immune from getting it wrong though but his football is entertaining!

Why the * not?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
  10. Zanderama

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ALL OF THEM!!!!
    Might as well give him the number 5 haha

11. Zanderama

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ALL OF THEM!!!!
    I remember him being the same last pre season though, so hopefully just to gethim fit or something if that even makes sense. I dunno know, am pished and overthinking

Noskeil likes this.
  12. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    I said much the same in the match thread, I think it's more of him doing and trying things preseason that he won't be allowed to do during the season. I'm more than happy for them to do that as long as it stops as soon as the season starts.

13. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    a la Ronnie Simpson and a certain nutmeg on a certain Inter Milan forward in a certain Cup Final in 1967.

Zanderama and Wllm like this.
  14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Only a matter of time before we lose possession and Hart get's lobbed, mental.

16. celtic20

It's fine doing it now and giving it away to the likes of Kenny McLean. But I'll be watching from behind the couch if it's the likes of Modric we're up against and doing the same.

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic’s Joe Hart reflects on banishing “danger, danger” thoughts as sweeper-keeper during pre-season unlike any in memory
    Celtic players simply aren’t allowed to get too snug under Ange Postecoglou.

Joe Hart can testify to that. Only now, a year on from signing from Tottenham Hotpsur, does the 34-year-old feel sufficiently schooled and practiced in - for him - the new tactic of positioning himself 30 yards from his goal to build the play and operate, essentially, as a third centre-back. Yet, when it comes to his personal status, Hart can’t remember feeling more comfortable than he has across the summer programme Celtic have completed in preparation for beginning their title defence at home to Aberdeen next Sunday. And that doesn’t relate entirely to the keeper becoming a peripheral figure with Manchester City six years ago. A situation that prompted loan spells with Torino and West Ham before moves to Burnley then Spurs. Asked if he felt as comfortable as he had for a long time, the former England international was unequivocal.

“Yeah, definitely. Simple as that,” he said. “As far back as it [goes, nothing] springs out to me. Even when I was set at Manchester City, I was still coming off the back of Euros, World Cups, this and that, coming in with a couple of weeks to prepare. So in terms of knowing where I was going to be, what was required of me and having time to prepare for it, I’d say...I don’t really look back too much. I’ll look back when I’m done. Right now I feel good.”

The assumption is that this should be a recipe for Celtic further driving up standards in the forthcoming campaign. Hart is like the majority of the squad Postecoglou has recruited in that he has enjoyed a first full pre-season with the exacting Australian taskmaster. “Time will tell. In theory, that is beneficial,” he said. “Speaking as a new player from last year, I’ve really enjoyed knowing where I was at the start of the season, being part of our pre-season, going in to do what we are going to do. It’s not an easy system to walk into and it’s going to be easier when the majority of us are a year in and understand what is required. The newer players will see every day what we are doing. Last year we were learning on the spot a little bit. The option [for more to come] is definitely there, but it is down to us. To me, us as individuals, us as a team. The manager constantly references it: Why not make the game you are about to play in your best game you have ever played in. I love that message and I live by that message, so there’s definitely that opportunity, but how it will play out, we will see.”

Learning on the spot for Hart extended to apprehensions he has now surmounted over playing as a sweeper-keeper. “That’s always where he wants his goalie,” Hart said. “I know that, we know that. That’s how he sees football. But he also understands you have to play with the players you have got. I couldn’t just come in and play as high as that as I’d never done it before, so I had to learn and I’m still learning. That’s why I absolutely love being here and playing under the manager. It’s becoming less uncomfortable to be that high. Before, to be that high, I always thought: Danger, danger. But now I understand the reasons why I am there. I am not there for any reason other than to help the team to progress and move forward. I understand the reasons better, so I feel more comfortable.”

18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

No concerns for me on Hart, he’s being asked to be a cog in something bigger and he’s doing it.

If it was Seigriest, or anyone else for that matter, he’d be told to do the exact same thing.

19. PaddyJamieson

Part in bold is very interesting, and challenges some of the assumptions from fans. Ange obviously does accommodate his style to the players he has; he obviously wants his keeper to play high up all the time but understood that would be too risky last year without proper time to practice it. I think we'll see a real development of his style of football this year with a full pre-season behind us. If you ask me, we can already see some of it in pre-season - the pressing has no doubt improved and some of the one touch in midfield has been sublime.

20. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

I can’t see how this new tactic is anything less that completely suicidal.

Extremely high risk, very low reward.