1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Giorgos Giakoumakis

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by The Thumb, Aug 31, 2021.

Discuss Giorgos Giakoumakis in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Completely different strikers and both exceptional in what they do.

2. JamesM09

I think Obi-Wan Kenobi said it best: “He’s more machine now than man”.

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

GIORGOS GIAKOUMAKIS jokes that he is still waiting on his trophy to mark his achievement of being the Scottish Premiership’s top scorer last season, but the Celtic striker received an honour that meant a great deal more to him over the summer in any case.

Footage emerged on social media of a clearly emotional Giakoumakis recognised by his home village of Atsalenios, a suburb of Heraklion, for everything that he has achieved in football to date. To make the moment all the more poignant, his elderly grandfather – also Giorgos - was on hand to present him with his award

It was a moment that hammered home just how much he is carrying the hopes of his family and the wider community with him as he blazes his trail in Scottish football.

He is now determined to do them all proud on the Champions League stage, as well as by maintaining his position as Scotland’s top marksman. If he can do that, it would make for a heck of a party in Crete next summer.

“It was something really emotional,” Giakoumakis said. “My grandfather is very old, he is 94 years old. So it was a special day for me that I will always remember.

“They just gave me an honour because it is my village. It is where I come from and they had a big festival, a big party. We also had some musicians. It was something amazing. They just gave me this trophy in order to give me an honour.

“He was always proud. They always want you to have success in your life, your grandfather, your father, your family, they already feel proud no matter what you do in your life. So even more when you are a successful football player, and he always loved football.”

Topping the scoring charts may prove even more difficult than last season, when the Greek managed the feat despite injury and illness wreaking havoc with his first six months at Celtic, and him netting only once prior to the winter break.

His colleague Kyogo has warned his teammate that he is coming for his crown, and it may well be something for Celtic fans to witness the pair trying to outdo one another in the coming season as their friendly rivalry drives each of them on to new heights.

First of all, I’m still waiting for my trophy,” he laughed. “Where’s my trophy? Maybe they lost it, I don’t know. We will see.

“It suits the strikers [in this team], who have better chances to score. That’s one of my main targets this year, to score as many as possible. Why not be the top scorer in the league? Alone…”

Does that mean there is even more to come from the forward with what he hopes will be a full pre-season behind him?

“Yes, of course,” he said. “Last year, I was struggling a lot. I think I had almost three pre-seasons, or four, I can’t remember.

“It was a season when I was struggling a lot, but I was fighting with my heart because you are not happy about it and you must have a good pre-season, a hard pre-season, in order to help you during the season that is coming.

“This year is going to be better. I try to improve push a lot. I try to stay healthy, stay fit and it’s going to be totally different.”

Giakoumakis is relishing the chance to test himself once more at Champions League level, having sampled the tournament when he was at AEK Athens. He is certain he can make an impact there, just as he has with the step up to Celtic from VVV-Venlo.

“I will always try to make an impact whatever I play in,” he said. “I try to change my level, I try to push myself, to improve myself a lot.

“The Champions League is something amazing, the best league that a player can play in in Europe. It makes me feel like we are at the top level.”

Giakoumakis got off the mark in pre-season with a spectacular effort against Banik Ostrava in Wednesday night’s friendly. It was an example of how sharp he feels after having some notable success over the early summer with his national side too.

“I always try to work as much as possible in order to improve myself,” he said. “If everyone in the team keeps improving individually, the team can change levels. That’s what I do. I try to improve myself.

“I work a lot and I will keep working in the future. It’s also nice because I had some success with the national team. That was something I was waiting for. I have been looking forward to this success for many, many years. I try to change my level every day.

“It was a good game [against Banik]. It’s always good to try to get a positive result, even in friendly games. I think this game was better than the last one [against Rapid Vienna].

“We tried to impose our intensity. We tried to play our game. We have a lot more to improve but we are improving day by day.

“Also, I am very happy because I scored but it doesn’t matter for me if it’s a nice goal or not. I try to score as many as possible.

“That was what I kept telling last year and my method is exactly the same.”

Taz likes this.
  4. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Cracking story that. He needs to open a bar in his village, will be a place of pilgrimage for Celtic fans

5. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Kind of unfortunate for him that at any other time in recent history he'd be our main man, but to have him and Kyogo both capable of being top scorer in the league - it's a blessing for us.

The_Bhoy and Dan Breen like this.
  6. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    VVV Venlo and Celtic combined stats:

51 games (subs and starts)
    39 goals.

* insane! Anyone know how many has been as a sub? Must be at least 15.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Congratulations big man

0EADB86D-6582-48A2-BF35-574F183DE2DE.jpeg

8. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Right big man gear on make footy, if KT can get to hospital get stitched up and be back for game then this is nothing.

Liam Scales likes this.
  9. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  10. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Gio has taken a couple of personal days as his missus is due. We sent a personal trainer so he’s not getting away with that.”

Lol

Keano88 and Liam Scales like this.
  11. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    Ange,
    “Gio has taken a couple of personal days because his missus is due to have a baby. But we sent a personal trainer with him so he’s not getting away with it!”

how professional has our club become under Ange, brilliant

Rydo1888* likes this.
  12. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Did Ange actually say that? That’s quality :giggle1:

jake10 likes this.
  13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

In his Celtic shorts too. Love the *.

AussieGreek and Jacob knows like this.
  15. shaunm

Would love to see him and kyogo play together

16. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Man management on another level.

Ange knows he's gonna be busy during the season so allowing him time to see and bond with his kid during preseason. Ange proper gets this club and I love that he treats players like human beings not just robots that play football 24/7.

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

18. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Paternity leave is also a legal right but it sounds a good way to support

Noskeil and Liam Scales like this.
  19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member