1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

James Forrest

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Drakhan, Jul 25, 2015.

Discuss James Forrest in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    'As far as the Celtic fans are concerned Ange walks on water but a 3 year contract for Jamesy looks like a mistake' - are you a bit drunk this afternoon or did you just conveniently not acknowledge the very first sentence in the post - I disagree with a 3 year contract for Jamesy - and the board may have sanctioned it but Ange will have initiated the deal

Noskeil likes this.
  2. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Apologies it was a bit of a tldr when on the bog <3 didn't read it properly.

Also never drunk as I'm allergic to alcohol hehe

moravcik1888 likes this.
  3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

This is the same Forrest we’ve seen for two years, though.

I know some people love the guy but it genuinely seems as if people are denial regarding him. Every player eventually slows down and starts declining.

Based on his last two years, that’s what is happening to Forrest. His legs look gone.

Noskeil likes this.
  4. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I agree he's lost pace, but I think he can still be a useful player if he applies his game in the right way. Pre-season won't be the time where I judge whether he's capable of it, that's for sure.

5. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    I think that's the issue many fans have with him atm, he's not applying anything. For the last 2 seasons he's come on puffed and panted around. His stats for the last 2 years are dismal, this preseason that trend is looking like its going the same way.

I've been a cynic and critical of him for a while now as I've seem the Forrest that was on fire under Rodger and know how he can play, since then he's been a passenger riding off past performances years past.

The Prof likes this.
  6. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Fair enough.

Again though, he’s not being judged solely on this pre-season. It’s been two years.

The Prof, Zander and Noskeil like this.
  7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

IN Ange we trust.

That’s the message from everyone connected to Celtic at the moment.

James Forrest insists from a player’s perspective, that’s certainly their mantra too.

Postecoglou has rightly earned the belief of everyone at Celtic Park after the transformation he performed on the team within a single year.

One particular aspect of his overhaul that’s been crucial to their success is the recruitment of top class, first team players.

From Kyogo to Joe Hart and Liel Abada to Cameron Carter-Vickers, the list of new players over the past 12-months who’ve made a substantial impact on the Hoops starting XI is extensive.

The Aussie boss clearly has an eye for a player, with several of the captures coming from his knowledge of the game.

Postecoglou revealed that the Scottish champions are close to adding another two or three names to their squad.

Forrest reckons that can only be a good thing. He said: “If you look in the past, sometimes one or two new signings do really well. Last year, I don’t think you can come up with one who hasn’t made an impact.

“The fans are behind him (Ange) but also the players as well as all of his staff. Rightly so after how good last season was. He wants to keep building and be a part of that.

“Every manager here has always strengthened. Whenever you think you’re doing enough, it’s always good to keep adding.

“It’s always good to add quality players as well. It’s only going to help the team and help to build it stronger.

“If he’s said he’s going to sign another two or three then definitely it’s going to help the squad.

“Obviously with the Champions League, it’s a good attraction to get players in when we can offer those type of games.”

It will also be interesting to see how many current academy players make the grade in the coming season.

Rocco Vata has impressed during training and pre-season matches with the first team.

With Forrest coming through that pathway, he admits he’d loved to see another teen follow the same route to become a Hoops star.

He added: “He looks really well. He’s adapted to our training right from the start of pre-season.

“I think he’s only just turned 17 but physically, he looks ready. He’s in good shape and is quick.

“You obviously don’t want to put too much pressure on him but I think he’s a confident boy.

“It’s maybe benefitted him being up training with us right from the start with first team players. He’s looked sharp and in some of the pre-season games.

ARTUR BORUC is a larger-than-life character.

The Polish stopper was certainly widely regarded as being a big personality in the Hoops dressing room during his time at the club between 2005 and 2010.

As he was on the way out of Parkhead in the summer of 2010 as he headed for Fiorentina, James Forrest was well on his way to becoming a future first team star, having impressed greatly for the club’s academy sides.

Their paths only crossed briefly, but Boruc’s stature at the club was something Forrest, 31, will always remember.

Of the current squad, the winger is the only player to have trained with the legendary Hoops keeper.

They will meet again later this week as Celtic take part in a tribute match for their former player against Legia Warsaw.

It’s something Forrest is relishing – as the Scotland international remembered how good the Pole was with younger players breaking though at the club such as himself.

He said: “I was young at the time, coming through, but I heard a lot of the players talking about him. From what I remember everyone liked him. There were a lot of stories about him but he was really quiet in the changing room and around the place.

“Any time I met him he was always really good with me as a young boy. He did so well here and I think it will be a good testimonial, a good game for him getting Celtic. Hopefully it’s a sell-out for him and a good night.

“There were so many big names there at the time, a lot of big personalities as well. I think it’s always good for young players coming through to learn off the big players who have played in the Champions League and internationals.

“It’s always good to be around big players like that and big characters, you always take bits off everyone and it helps your game as well.

“I think it’s different now (senior players approaching academy players). For the ones who have come through here, like Callum as well, when you see younger players you always take an interest because you have done it as well.

Everyone has been young and come through the youth system to get to the first team. It’s good for them to train with the first team boys and see what it’s like every day, and hopefully they get to that stage themselves some day.”

It was put to Forrest if Boruc was one of Celtic’s greatest ever No.1s. He replied: “I think he has to be right up there. If you ask a lot of fans about what he did here he was just so well liked.

“He’s definitely up there. For him playing against Celtic is perfect, he couldn’t have picked a better team to play against. He is definitely right up there.”

Forrest was speaking at Monday’s open training session at Celtic Park.

In the blistering heat, Ange Postecoglou’s squad showcased the intensity of their training in front of 10,500 of the club’s season ticket holders.

The moto of the club for the past 12-months has been ‘We Don’t Stop’. Forrest reckons it was good for the fans to get a glimpse of exactly the kind of hard work that goes on behind the scenes on a daily basis at Lennoxtown.

He said: “I think it was a really good day. The manager spoke about it before we went out as well. Even for the younger boys at training today they maybe trained in front of more fans than they’ve played in front of in a game. It’s good for everyone. Kids finished school and came to watch Celtic train, it’s a good day all round.

I don’t know how many fans were here, five-to ten thousand, and it just shows you even for a training session they are turning up for that.”

After last summer’s hefty overhaul of players, it may seem like transfer business has been fairly slow in Glasgow’s east end so far this year.

The only fresh faces in the squad are Benji Siegrist and Alexandro Bernabei, with Jota and Cameron Carter-Vickers signing permanent deals after their respective loan moves.

Celtic’s Japanese contingent of Kyogo, Daizen Maeda, Reo Hatate and Yosuke Ideguchi have all had time to get used to their surroundings in Glasgow, in a new continent.

And Forrest reckons Celtic will see the benefits of that during the 2022/23 campaign.

He said: “They know the scene now, especially the way they have come in and done really well. Kyogo right from the start of last season came in and did really well and then the other Japanese boys came in January and they just started straight away, just like Kyogo.

“They all work hard and they fit into the Scottish game really well. They have all been here a wee while now so they can all speak better English and they all get on with all the boys as well and that is a big thing. They have all performed really well and they can all kick on again.”

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
  9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Been doing my * in for a while..

Almost everytime I watch him he does nothing in term's of helping the fullback out. Kinda jogs with his opponent but doesn't put tackles in or try to block crosses..

Back's out of challenges constantly..

So tentative on the ball and particularly infront of goal..

Used to love Forrest. Some player and servant......but I don't want him anywhere near our 11 this season..

10. We named the dog Indiana Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic song
    Thought he shoulda scored 2 at least yesterday.

11. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    He's starting to run like when someone's trying to cross the road, jogging but slower than a walking pace, yet makes it look like he's blowing his * out.

The Prof and McChiellini.. like this.
  12. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

The backing out of challenges has always annoyed me.

There was one yesterday that broke to him, and he must have been 70/30 to win it. He shat out and the Legia player slid in to win it.

If he’d actually attempted to go for the ball he’d have skipped past the defender and been through 1v1 against the keeper.

Would much rather see Vata get game time.

13. shaunm

Think with the way he’s playing,he will be a back up at best this season,wouldn’t be surprised to see Roco Vata taking over from Forrest,within the next 6 months.

14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Plays with fear now. That's sometimes what experience and age does but he knows he's getting on and injury prone.....and plays it safe..

Vata is the exact opposite when you see him. Fearless..

Forrest sort of nailed the coffin last year at home to the diets. That tentative finishing when he kinda shat it from a collision with Gordon and nicked it on the post. Then backed out of challenges and was clean through late on in the 1 nil game and missed. Knew he was missing the whole way as well..

His leg's have drastically gone and he doesn't suit our high tempo side..

He was out his depth when he came on against the huns in the semi and was as big a man down defensively as you'll see.....offering nothing going the other way either..

Genuinely always looks like he'll miss to me now when Infront of goal..

I've been desperate to add a different option to compete with Abada on the right side. A left footed or something..

Feel bad bashing Forrest. I've never been a hater and a big fan of him. Time's up for me though..

The Prof likes this.
  15. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Just don't understand what the club were thinking with a 3 year deal.

A 1 year deal I'd have understood, he's a legend at the club, and it would give him the chance to prove himself again.

3 years makes no sense.

The Prof likes this.
  16. Antz1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emillio Izaguirre, Joe Ledley, Beram Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    'You'll never walk alone' 'Let the People Sing'
    Why do we need to wait to confirm he’s done.

He has barely kicked a ball in two years and has lost his one major asset, pace. He is also worried about getting hurt every time he gets near some one and can’t do the pressing any of the other wingers do.

Just like the 4 year deal for McCarthy, the 3 year deal Forrest was awarded looks like madness.

in an ideal world we would get rid of both him and MJ and replace them with a new winger who suits Anges style of play.

The Prof likes this.
  17. Maestro 08

I don't think he's done at all.

18. G40B

He is done.

He’s not technically gifted enough to reinvent himself now that the pace is gone.

The extension will simply be because it’s cheaper to renew his contract than sign a replacement.

19. Sentinel

I've been slaughtering him for years. That counts as carryover privileges.

Zander likes this.
  20. Keano88

On another day he has 2/3 goals yesterday and the conversation isn’t as negative as it is today.

Plenty players worse yesterday IMO.