1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Aaron Mooy

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Valhalla, Jul 19, 2022.

Discuss Aaron Mooy in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Cleansheets

Keyboard just been sprayed with coffee you *!!!

2. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    I need everything translated as well when I visit Glasgow :56:

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

3. Mr Cleansheets

At * last. Wanted this ever since Ange signed - he's gonna be huge for Celtic.

Just don't do your ACL on debut like * Arzani!!!

4. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    You know you've * this now :40:

5. Mr Cleansheets

I was going for the double-reverse jinx, but now you've * that!

6. phreeky

I understand some hesitancy due to having been playing in China and age, but he absolutely bossed the Championship and was still key to a lower-table Premier League team - he has loads of quality.

Yes not a great speaker, luckily that's not his key role, but he comes alive during games.

He made China money, I expect he is in Glasgow for family/lifestyle now (COVID lockdowns in China would have been brutal) so I doubt he is demanding big money.

NakamuraTastic and MAP like this.
  7. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Nah, you double * it. Mr Cleansheets no more, well and truly soiled.

Can't believe you did your fellow Ozzies, Ange and Mooy like that.

8. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    So an Australian with a Glaswegian wife speaks English slowly in interviews because he played in China and gives off dyslexia vibes at the same time.

ArturBorucCSC and MacEwan like this.
  9. richie87 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonny Doyle
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    :50:

10. apevrak

Welcome to Celtic, Aaron!

I think he'll be good business for us coming on a free. With our style of play we need to rotate midfielders often to avoid fatigue. He got a great passing range and close control that will come handy when up against teams that will mount some serious pressure on us in Europe. Don't think he'll be a part time player either.

Draupnir likes this.
  11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. anthony valletta

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom rogic
    im super stoked that Mooy has signed for Celtic!!!! as an Aussie im probs a little bias toward him but he is by far my fav aussie player of the last 10 years or so i just think he is such a quality player. yes he seems a little slow and heavy legged at times but i do think that he is quite deceiving in that respect. IMO Rogic couldnt lace this guys boots and i have been following them since they were teenagers so if you liked Rogic you will love this guy!! i think bringing in Mooy will give Cal Mac more freedom to get forward.

13. Hope N Ur Heart

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone followed closely by Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Them all!!
    Welcome to Celtic:83:

14. Mr Cleansheets

Saying on KDS that sevco tried a last minute gazump on Mooy...

15. Kiro Kompiro

I watched Aaron play for my team in Melbourne.

He should have been at the 2014 WC but Postecoglou didn't pick him. He went up to another level in 2015 and owned the A-League and Postecoglou again didn't pick him for the 2015 Asian Cup. For the 2018 WCQ he could not be ignored by Postecoglou as by then he was Australia's best player, by far. I got the feeling Aaron just wasn't Postecglou's type of player as he held the ball up longer (but also picked the pass doing it).

At the 2018 WC he was IMO the best midfielder on the park against France

Kyogo will love playing in front of him as Aaron will see the runs, time and weight the pass perfectly for him.

16. Mr Cleansheets

Maybe that was a hoax...

17. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    For those who thought his time at Brighton was underwhelming, the assistant manager at Brighton disagrees:

Aaron Mooy earns Celtic rave review as Brighton insider insists any doubters will become believers

Brighton’s assistant manager Billy Reid coached the 31-year-old during his time with the Seagulls and is a major admirer of his former charge.

Billy Reid has heard that Celtic’s fans have been rather underwhelmed by the signing of Aaron Mooy and he’s scratching his head to understand why.

Brighton’s assistant manager, who coached the Australian two years ago when Mooy made 31 appearances for The Seagulls in the English Premier League, reckons it was a no brainer for Ange Postecoglou to bring in a tried, tested and trusted campaigner with whom he previously worked at national level Down Under. Former Hamilton boss Reid, Graham Potter’s No 2 at The Amex Stadium, admits the management duo thought so highly of the 31-year-old that they were gutted when he opted to leave Brighton for China at the end of season 2019/20, but with Mooy’s contract at Shanghai Port expiring, he insists a reunion with Postecoglou makes perfect sense for both parties.

Reid told Record Sport : “The manager obviously knows him from his time with the Australia national team, so he’ll have first hand knowledge of Aaron’s character and what he can bring to the team, On both of those fronts there will be nothing to worry about. He’s a model professional, hard-working and dedicated and on top of that, he’s a really good player.

“We took him on loan from Huddersfield and he did really well for us before signing permanently. Then he got a big move, financially, to China and to be honest we were disappointed to lose him because he was in our starting 11 at the time and doing great for us.

“He’s a quiet lad, who just gets on with his business without making any real fuss and he is like that on the field as well.
    “But he’s a really effective football player without having to be overly flamboyant. He’s really good on the ball, is willing and able to take it in tight areas and can play off both feet. He uses his body really well and spins out of tight situations.

“I also think he might surprise people by chipping in with a few goals. He’s capable of hitting from distance and getting in the box and is easily capable of scoring six, eight, ten goals a season. He’s a strong boy as well. That’s crucial in the English Premier League and Aaron more than held his own in that regard.”

Reid believes Mooy’s ability to keep his team in possession of the ball will suit Celtic ’s style of play down to the ground. And any fears that he may not be the quickest are nullified, in his opinion, by his sharpness between the ears.

He added: “The supporters liked him down here. His ball retention was excellent and he’s a proper all-round footballer He’s not the quickest player getting about the pitch but he’s got a really good football brain and outstanding positional sense that compensates for that. I think he’ll fit into Celtic’s ethos really well and the manager will know what’s getting.

“They are a team that enjoys the massive share of possession in most matches, so that will suit his style because he’s so good with the ball at his feet. If he was going to a team that hardly had any of the ball and was having to chase and close down the opposition, it might be slightly different but Celtic will suit him down to the ground.

“This isn’t a gamble for Ange Postecoglou. He’s getting a player that he won’t have to get to know and understand. He’s getting experience and a proven international who is going to the World Cup. It makes sense in every respect.”

The fact that Mooy, who spent two seasons at St Mirren before returning home to Oz a decade again, has a working knowledge of the Scottish game - and strong family roots here - further fuels Reid’s belief that everyone will be a winner in this deal.

“Scotland is well known to Aaron, which is also a real bonus,” he said. “He had that spell with St Mirren early in his career, so it’s not as if he will come to Celtic thinking it will be a stroll in the park for him.

“It’s fair to say that some players have come up to Scotland maybe thinking it will be easy - then finding out to their cost it is anything but easy - but Aaron won’t be thinking like that.

“The Scottish Premiership is much maligned at times but I’m always telling people down here that it isn’t easy. I’m sure Aaron doesn’t need to be that because he’s played in it.

“And away from the pitch, he’s married to a Scottish girl, so it will be like coming home in that respect. It’s so important to feel settled when you join a new club and that will help him massively.

[​IMG]

“Like everybody else, he won’t be guaranteed his place in the team and will have to fight for it, but he’s more than capable of doing that.”

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

19. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Seen happier folk in hostage videos

Skelleto likes this.
  20. Draupnir

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I'm obviously in the minority but I'm massively happy with this signing. Mooy is a great player.