1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Transfers/Transfer Rumours Thread

Discussion in 'World Football' started by holy pope, Dec 19, 2011.

Discuss The Transfers/Transfer Rumours Thread in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    £42.5m for a 33 year old ? That's absolutely mental.

NakamuraTastic and McChiellini.. like this.
  2. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

With one year left on his deal.

Bayern must be pishing themselves laughing.

Ghost_Jiggle, The_Bhoy and Twisty like this.
  3. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
  4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

5. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

This whole Barca thing makes no sense to me at all.

Can’t afford to give De Jong the money he’s owed, yet are splashing out hundreds of millions.

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

7. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    :giggle1:

Hopefully they go bust.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  8. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I don't think their problem is really money though, its that the League rules about spending compared to income or something. They can only have so high a wagebill, so players had to cut down on the money they are being paid so they could register a squad even though I think they could actually have paid the wages they just aren't allowed to because they'll break the rules.

The rules seem in place to stop clubs from becoming unstable, like if they spend too much then they need to cut back to correct themselves. Barcelona though rather than correcting themselves like they should by selling players and lowering their wage-bill, they pretty much kept their players and made them lower their wages or deffer the wages until into the future. So once they are maybe back in line they can pay them.

But because they want to stay good, they are just wheeling and dealing like normal trying to sneak about the rules to build a good team.

9. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    If that was a team in the 2nd division or a yo yo team they’d be fined, banned, banished whatever is possible. Barca are getting away with madness here

neilly1987 likes this.
  10. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Yeah, or basically extending the contracts. So, in Spanish Law, to protect workers pay, a company can only reduce your salary by a maximum of 50%. So when they went to the old guard, players like Busquets, Alba, Roberto, Ter Stegen, Pique etc, they asked these guys to reduce their salaries by 50% but gave them a further two years on their contracts so that they would get the money eventually, just over a longer period of time. So Pique, who's 35 or something, still has like 3 years left on his deal.

You're also only allowed to spend 85% of your revenue on wages, that's La Liga rules. So, Barca with Messi at the tail end of 2021 season, were spending 104% of their revenue on wages. When Messi left, it dropped them to 97%... they then had to restructure their wages, like they did with the old guard, that brought them down to 85%. Then this year, with Covid effectively over, they have a new increased revenue. So, that's why they can spend more even with the giant debt. However, they still need money for FFP situations. Which is entirely different to the La Liga wage rules. It's * mental to be honest. The fact they're trying to punt De Jong for £65m, while owing the guy nearly £20m in wages, is astonishing.

NakamuraTastic and The_Bhoy like this.
  11. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    With De Jong they are probably just happy to get rid of him though, Gavi and Pedri have emerged as better players than him and hes never looked capable of taking over from Busquets in the deeper role either, he's probably their 4th best midfielder and on a big wage and they have replaced him with Kessie for free and probably lower wages.

Just don't think De Jong worked out for them, all the times I seen him playing for them I was underwhelmed apart from once or twice where he did have great games and was all over the park but overall he's not attacking or defensive enough for them and they have other skilled technical players who do more.

Will likely be trying to push him out and make a deal with him to pay him less of what they owe him while they can before they need to start paying him back.

12. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Pedri, definitely. Gavi, didn't play as much but definitely a huge talent. The talent there though is enough of a reason to move De Jong on. I still think De Jong should be Busquets natural successor. They have never given him a proper run of games at the base of their midfield. Kessie on a free is good business though and you're right. They'll have Kessie on half the wages that De Jong is on. Read somewhere that De Jong is on £25m a year, so £500k a week. It's crazy numbers really. Kessie more like a Yaya Toure than a Busquets though, nowhere near as good on the ball but he's a * lump of a lad. Will do a lot of dirty work in that midfield and let Pedri/Gavi do their thing in the middle of the park, like the Xavi/Iniesta days.

He would be good for United though. He played at the base of Ten Hags Ajax team and I'd surmise that's where he would play for United. Let Eriksen and Fernandes do their thing and dictate the ball from the base of the midfield.

FCBarca likes this.
  13. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I imagine they will play

Busquets
    Kessie Pedri

With Gavi rotating with Kessie and Pedri and probably the wide players.

Kessie I think is a better fit for them than De Jong as well, hes more energetic and better defensively and probably more aggressive and better going forward as well. I liked him at AC Milan, felt him, Tonali, Leao and Hernandez were AC Milans best players and a big part of how good they were with their work-rate, running and energy and it made them good to watch. Be more like Keita that Barcelona used to have.

De Jong did have good energy and ran about well the odd time but mostly I felt he played a kind of shitebag role and just passed the ball on and never really stepped up a level and took any responsibility, was too safe and passive.

I don't think he'd ever have replaced Busquets either, I don't think he is clever enough defensively in his positioning and reading of the game to sit in there, probably needs someone else with him.

He might do better at Man Utd under his old manager and different system.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
    Sentinel likes this.
  14. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Yes and no. Definitely about money, mostly exorbitant wages & contract length that Bartomeu saddled the club with - there was no thought at what would happen downstream. Either that was down to wilful ignorance & thinking it'd be someone else's problem or incompetence - considering how he had never run a football club before it could be a bit of both

And no because they did get rid of many fat contracts from the wage bill - in Laporta's first 7 months he dismissed 22 staff members of the club and could only manage 3 free signings while enduring the golden parachute termination clause Bartomeu put in with Koeman in excess of 13M

He focused on the women's team, Espai Barca, shedding the wage bill (160M saved in yearly salaries & 140M in transfer fee should variables be met), restructuring the debt, securing a significant sponsor in Spotify, renewing Pedri & Ansu and ushering in a youth revolution with Xavi at the helm. It cost the club Messi since Laporta refused the CVC deal that would've mortgaged the future of the club irreparably in the hands of speculators

It has only improved this summer as further wages & deadweight are being shed while significant key additions added to the squad to make a far more competitive team than last season...and there remain several targets before the season starts

Frenkie would be both a sporting & economic decision to move - yes, his deferred wages are exorbitant but he's also not equipped to be the heir to Busquets anymore than he can replace Pedri or Gavi as interiors. With Pablo Torre's addition, he too will be a key contributor in the attacking midfield which for me means Frenkie is a luxury. And if Barca can land Silva as an alternative, the answer is easy

15. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Bayern man.

16. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Find it ironic that La Liga wrote to the European Union to complain about PSG whilst Barca are spending that much whilst being in crippling debt and owing players wages

17. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Over whom? Partey? Odegaard? Xhaka?

He's a utility player for sure but he will primarily play at LB

18. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    He will play in front of Xhaka. Absolutely no doubt about it. That * is mince.

19. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    In that case then, play in front of KT?

20. murphy88

Rumours are that it was Partey who was the footballer arrested on suspicion of rape recently. Think he got bailed until next month.