1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stranger Things - Netflix Original Series

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Mr Shelby, Jul 18, 2016.

Discuss Stranger Things - Netflix Original Series in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

:ange:

2. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Just got a message from my Aunt to show me my wee cousins company in the credits for this. He works for a visual effects company. Know he worked on Outlander but this is a bit of a step up.

3. TheHappyLoss

Took me ages to start watching it too. Thought it was kind like Twilight or some other teen horror. Absolutely love it.

cidermaster likes this.
  4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Last two episodes were really good.

Actually feel like that could have been a perfect ending to the series as a whole. Just needed Vecna to die. Hopper etc all returning and the whole crew back together in Hawkins. And either having Max properly dying earlier or opening her eyes just as the episode is about to finish. Nice conclusion.

Just not sure how they continue it from this point without it getting too stale or repetitive. Read an article there and apparently one of the Duffer brothers said there'll be a time jump between season 4 and 5, which I don't really understand considering the last shot of season 4. * has hit the fan already.

In terms of deaths, I'm sure one of the brothers said there would be a body count for the last two episodes, so I was expecting a lot more deaths than Eddie, Brenner and the jock guy. But as much as it would raise the stakes killing off key characters regularly i.e. GOT, I feel like some of these characters are too crucial to the quality of the show to kill them off. Steve, Robin, Dustin and Max would essentially be irreplaceable. So I'm quite happy to see them still in it.

Just hope it's not another 2/3 year wait for the last season.

Artorias and Keano88 like this.
  5. Keano88

Eddie’s death was a bit * for me, thought he deserved to die in a more heroic way. Thought he would at least make it to the house where Steve, Robin and Nancy were trapped and then maybe die helping them get to Vecna or something.

Great wee character so he was.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
  6. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Really thought the delay of the final two episodes meant we were in for something big and series altering…

Honestly done nothing for me. Just amplified the problems they’ve had from the beginning.

celtic warrior and scuzzy like this.
  7. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Still howling at this.

bagforlife and Officer Doofy like this.
  8. celtic warrior

The last two episodes were rubbish.

JamesM09 and scuzzy like this.
  9. TheHappyLoss

Didn’t realise there was a season five, thought this was the final season. Still got the two hour plus one to go.

JamesM09 and cidermaster like this.
  10. JamesM09

I really enjoyed the season overall but I have a few complaints (sorry) ..

• I think I said before I didn't really like the amount of time they spent on the Russia stuff and I still feel like that. I thought the way they linked it back to the main stuff in Hawkins was a bit weak. If I'm remembering correctly they just randomly get a phone call from the Agent lady and work out that they need to kill Demogorgons to help the kids. Just altogether weak and unnecessary IMO.

I didn't like the way Eleven came in to save the day for a few reasons.

• Firstly, I loved the way the Hawkins team had put a plan together to kill Vecna. That's classic and was really fun. They probably could've fleshed that out slightly more but that was the grade A stuff. That whole plan could've worked on its own without any outside interference.
    • Secondly, I just didn't like the 'Hero' moment that we've seen before, and the 'Power of Love' stuff to beat Vecna. It's just all a bit 'meh' at this point. Apart from anything, it didn't make much sense to me. Max and Vecna are in Max's mind, it's not the real world. Why does Eleven necessarily have powers in Max's mind. It makes sense for Vecna (or Max) to have some power since they're driving the whole thing, but it feels like they wanted Eleven to do her superman thing and they just didn't care that this season was all about mind invasion.
    • How much better would it have been if Eleven remote desktop's in to Max's mind and just supports her in a non-powered way. Like helps her run and hide, distracts Vecna etc. They could've even avoided revealing Vecna's precise backstory and had Eleven reveal it within Max's mind to distract Vecna. Show Max he's only human or whatever. I feel like something like that would've been more in tune with this season instead of just reverting to the 'Telekinesis go boom' stuff we've seen before.
    • I also think killing Eddie was a bit lazy. I think Nancy would've been a better candidate to die. It would've had such a profound effect on the other characters (especially Steve) and it would've kept Eddie in it as a character that could continue to grow.
    • The part where Eleven tries to appeal to Vecna's morality was a bit jarring too. It just seemed like a weak trope to me. I got the impression the guy wasn't even bad, he just had no actual morality, a bit like a spider. I thought that was the point. I think they only added that in because they refused to cut anything from the final two episodes.
    • Eleven bringing Max back to life was almost a show-ruiner too. Why did we really need that? It also just made an increasingly difficult to follow lore even more complicated. Like we saw Hawkins get ripped apart, then apparently it wasn't, and now it is again. Like * is going on? It again felt like they don't know what they want to do but didn't want to cut any content in the editing room.
    • I also didn't think they needed the whole 'escalation' (i.e. * will open up if he kills one more) in this season. They had to kill Vecna because he was going to kill Max eventually (among others) - that's the only real motivation they needed to urgently kill him. The show seemed insistent on escalation in preparation for season 5 and it took away from season 4 IMO.
    I feel like season five will inevitably have a time jump forward into some sort of apocalypse and will probably end with a time jump back to before it all happened. I feel like this has loosely been hinted at with the way the upside down is a timestamp of when the first gate opened.

Bonobhoy likes this.
  11. celtic warrior

Given how they made last episode over 2 hours long...

Season 5 seems redundant...season 4, for what's it worth and as infuriating as it would have been (which I think would have been great) is go for the annoying ending of....have they done it? That type of typical horror franchise ending of leaving it the ending open a little and viewers having no idea if they won out in the end and questions over the status of group and where they are.

I'm not sure what the point of a season 5 is now after how they broke up season 4....what they gonna do now? Make every episode 1hr 30 and then have a 3 hour epic finale? No chance.

It all just feels flat now.

JamesM09 likes this.
  12. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I’m only on episode 7… but…

11 being back at this place is dragging like *, it’s the only thing that’s irritating me about season 4.

JamesM09 likes this.
  13. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

That and all the Russia stuff were total momentum killers.

neilly1987 and JamesM09 like this.
  14. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Russia isn’t as bad because I’m enjoying the characters, but defo.

TheHappyLoss and JamesM09 like this.
  15. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Really enjoyed it as a whole.

I do feel like Max being brought back was cheap. I feel like her being almost finished by Vecna, then dying in Lucas’ arms was as hard hitting as they could make it, even more so than Vecna finishing her. Lucas and Eleven crying over her had me going. Then they spoil that by bringing her back with I didn’t evenknow was possible.

I do like where it’s at though and excited for what’s to come. They need to come out firing though.

16. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Binged the lot over a month or so, really enjoyed it although I would say season 4 I got a bit bored with some of the sub plots.

cidermaster and scuzzy like this.