1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Expectations for coming season...

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by celtic warrior, Jun 30, 2022.

Discuss Expectations for coming season... in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. PaddyJamieson

If we sign Souza I'll expect us to give a decent showing in Europe, be that the CL or Europa. Win the league, of course, and maybe a cup. League is the priority, but improving in Europe is so so important and I think Ange will see it that way too.

2. Ipswichbhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    League and cup double and a big home win against an elite side in the groups. Not expecting to get through the group, in fairness getting through to the Europa knockouts would be exceeding expectations given how tough the draw is likely to be. Can’t expect a treble as it’s always possible to have one off day/bad ref decision in a cup tie but league is a must. Anything above that just want to see progression to continue like it did all the way through last season. And obviously getting the better of the Glasgow derbies

3. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Anything over and above the League is a bonus imo, a decent showing in Europe would be good, don't want to set the expectation levels too high lol, but could be an exciting season ahead.

The squad is looking healthy. but still need another few signings to strengthen key positions.

charlietully and Mr Shelby like this.
  4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

If we get the “easiest” group, we’ll definitely have a chance.

If we get the usual - a group with two giants, the best we can realistically hope for is 3rd.

Hammy89 and Liam Scales like this.
  5. Melb Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Win the Sydney Cup

charlietully likes this.
  6. richie87 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonny Doyle
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Domestic wise it’s League and Cup preferably the SC this time, Skelp the Huns and The Diets, 3 or 4 times

in CL hold our own and have a big few nights at home qualify for knockout either CL or EL

doing that would be an amazing season

7. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Honestly need to disagree with a lot of comments made here. I think we might be something of a suprise package in Europe this year. Not saying we are going to win but we are going to shock some this year.

Last year in Europa/conference we had a team still gelling, still developing and lacking quality in depth. Mind we had been starting ajeti in some of those games, if memory serves me right I think McCarthy got a start along the way and am sure Welsh started more than a couple too. Since then GG has found a whole new level, Kyogo looks to have put that injury to bed, maeda and hatate finally had time to rest a little and our troublesome lb area might have been resolved. We have come a long long way since our last European outings and it appears our business isn't even done yet. I am being greedy here I know but if we get a CB that's better than starfelt and a CM enforcer that allows Callum to play higher up the pitch again then we are in for treat this year. Honestly believe we will be something of a suprise package in Europe this year, not saying we will win it but for me getting to the last 16 is feasible. It depends on the draw, our final signings and as always having a little bit of luck along the way.

What's most exciting and pleasing is I feel like for the first time in a long time the board seem to be pursuing a team that can hold its own at CL group stage!

Cannot wait for this season to begin

borvebhoy, craigtheceltic and kramer1 like this.
  8. BigDoggyWoofWoof

Domestically, we all know the expectations. Thrash the huns, win the league, make a go of the treble.

In Europe, we need to win away from home. Regardless of the group, we need to start improving our performance in that regard. I think the CL will be a real test of how far Ange's footballing philosophy can go, how adaptable it is, etc. Looking forward to it.

kramer1 likes this.
  9. Jordan MacGregor

Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I’m not wiriting us off in the CL, but i’d be more than happy with a decent run in the EL and the league…

10. celtic warrior

When is the an group draw anyway....I genuinely can't stand waiting for the season to start anymore.

Most excited I've been for a long long time

honda likes this.
  11. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I'd love a couple big wins in the champions league and a few draws. Hopefully enough for 3rd but maybe 2nd. Thing is this season will be very strange. How many big teams will we play where the players don't want injured for the world cup? This really could go in our favour.

12. Scotzbhoy

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It's not so much the signings that are giving me unrealistic expectations for next season, it's thinking about what everyone says about Ange's teams. We played some truly brilliant stuff at times last season, if based on what people who know Ange's teams are saying I can't imagine how good we'll be with a more settled squad, full pre season behind us and even more time on the training ground

13. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    At least the league and a cup.
    Should really be aiming for latter stages of Europe, QF of Europa or last 16 of CL. Last 16 of CL is a big ask as I expect us to get a cunty group as per

14. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Win at least one game by double figures. All that matters.

Hope N Ur Heart and dortmunder like this.
  15. dortmunder

Aye, been wanting this for a while. Six/seven-nil is sometimes a disappointment. St Johnstone (IIRC) should have had a dozen past them.

I expect the treble with an average of 3.5 goals per game in the league. Gonna be fun trying...

Twisty likes this.
  16. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Yeah I’m with you regarding the European comments. The whole we got smashed by Bodo is being overdone. We had 63% possession in the first game, we had 16 shots to 7… the goals were 2 LB defensive errors and a deflection. We were without both Kyogo and GG. Second game we started a weakened team to prioritise the league and taking automatic CL qualification.

As a unit, we are strengthening further and a proper DM(Souza is our answer and Ange & Mick know this) for Europe will see McGregor shifted forward providing more legs in our midfield.

Europe will be much improved this season and that excites me.

17. blackfish Screaming from beneath the waves...

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I expect to be naked every weekend save for the odd blip along the way!

I reckon we will smash opponents in the league regularly. Europe - as long as we don’t get our perfectly formed * handed to us every Tuesday/Wednesday in the autumn then I will be happy.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  18. Mr Hoopy

League - Winners
    LC - Winners
    SC - Winners
    Beat Huns in every domestic game
    CL - Third would be amazing but i feel with the calibre of teams it may be a step too far

With the squad we have, domestically I am hoping that the league will be an easy ride this year, where as fans we can relax more and have it won before the split.

I also hope that when VAR comes in after the WC it does it's job without prejudice.

19. Morcombe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo, Jota, Abada, Taylor, McGregor, the whole team!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing, This Land is Your land, Over & Over, Green, White & Gold, Hampden in the Sun, E
    1. win the league.
    2. win the treble or 1 of the 2 cups
    3. win a european knockout tie after christmas

20. ynwa1987

Win the league, one cup and 3rd in the CL. The league is the priority though.

Also expect Celtic to improve the first 11 or at the very least bring guys in who will challenge for first team spots