1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Sorry, I seem to have touched a nerve with the Aussies.

Contrary to your initial suggestion, I have never at any time suggested that simply being Australian makes you a poor footballer. Never. So let’s set that straight first and foremost.

Secondly, I completely agree that everyone deserves an opinion. However I also completely support people calling out an opinion when it is controversial or, in this case, absolutely wrong. I see that’s happened quite substantially today, so I’ll leave it there instead of further sticking the boot in on @Mr Cleansheets

VT8 likes this.
  2. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    It was some own goal for a guy called Mr Cleansheets

3. Mr Cleansheets

Oh well, I must've looked at their forum when he was having a purple patch. Where was he before in the Championship? QPR - those fans were deeply upset when he left.

Sainsbury has gone to crap leagues for money twice - China, when he'd got over his Dutch injuries (for 18 mill $AUD) and just now Qatar for I don't know but it will be plenty. He's a famous player in Asia and at 30 he probably sees it as a last big payday.

Clubs like Maccabi and Kortrijk are places he went to get back in the shop window. It's a shame because he could've been a huge star (by Oz standards) but chased the money instead of the best football he could play.

4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He's such a wet wipe..

Talks utter * as well :giggle1:

Cena and Valhalla like this.
  5. Mr Cleansheets

As I said, he went to put himself back in the shop window for another big payday. He's already as rich as * from his China deal and just signed with a Qatari club for petrodollars.

As I said several times, I'm pretty disappointed with his career choices but he's still a * good player.

6. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    When you have to keep making several, different, excuses for why a player isn’t playing at a higher level then maybe they just aren’t that good.

If they’re constantly putting themselves in the shop window and nobody bites then maybe ask why.

7. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Some amount of excuses and reasons for him not having played regularly for a good team at any decent standard.

Again, if he's that good why did he end up at Maccabi Haifa and Kortrijk? Putting himself in the shop window isn't a valid reason. Scouts from bigger clubs in bigger leagues would have been aware of him if he's as good as you say.

All I'm seeing is a 30 year old whose career highlight (domestically) has been a 20 minute cameo for Inter Milan in a dead rubber on the last day of the season. Other than that he's spent a year or two in Australia, Netherlands, Belgium, Israel, China and Switzerland. A journeyman with an average career.

Valhalla likes this.
  8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I'll explain it in layman's term's......

A diddy..

martin_d, PaddyJamieson and Valhalla like this.
  9. Mr Cleansheets

Objectively, I guess that's how it looks for anyone who's not watched him closely.

Fair enough. I've watched him a lot and still have the horrors from how Starfelt played in the first third of last season. He was still making bad mistakes towards the end of the season but wasn't getting punished so much.

I regard Sainsbury as a superior player. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...01ABC3AA31DA2A5E2F5F01ABC3AA31DA2&FORM=VDQVAP

Anyway, I'm boring the crap out of myself and everyone else.

Yay for Ange.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  10. Kiro Kompiro

Sainsbury was a talented footballer but lacked the competitive streak/attitude to play at the very top. Too casual and relaxed was a common opinion, even when he was at his peak.

11. MAP

Agree completely.

He had (or has?) the talent. Broken kneecap on that Netherlands sprinkler and chasing $$ helped get in the way of what might otherwise have been a (relatively) good career.

Alas, my son is a centre back and absolutely reminds me of Sainsbury; looks so casual you think he is completely disinterested in the game. Having said all that, I will admit Sainsbury was a name I thought of at the beginning of last season, that could do a job (we were looking thin at the back). I wouldn't take him now, CCV and Starfelt got it covered, and I think we will/can buy a better player too - the club looks willing to spend the $$. I am also a fan of Murray and think he'll be the goods in time (don't see Jullien having a future, and Welsh's role ... who knows).

VT8 likes this.
  12. Mr Cleansheets

Last word from me on this... no-one would ever suggest a player for Celtic just on the basis of nationality. I only suggest people who I think would improve the squad, and being in Australia and keen AL watcher - it's mainly Australians I see.

Obviously after that it's a matter of opinion (and what else do we have in the off season?).

Australians are cheap and (IMNSHO) are usually much better value than higher priced players from elsewhere. That goes for other Asian countries also, although I suspect Japanese players will be getting better transfer fees from now on.

13. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

14. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
  15. FairDinkumMate

Can the Mods here blank Sainsbury like they do other swear words ..ta

16. DdoubleD

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    lol Sainsbury. * me *. Only reason he is still playing for Australia is because he's * the coaches daughter.

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

18. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Have you actually seen the forward through balls he plays between the lines ? He is actually is married to her with kids.

What the * is wrong with you, so disrespectful ?

19. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Has it really been 6 weeks since our last game of the season ?

20. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Has Ange ever used a 4-4-2 formation? I think it's the best fit for us in Europe.

George Theodorou likes this.