1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Weightloss/ Getting Fit Thread!

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Joe T, Dec 29, 2011.

Discuss The Weightloss/ Getting Fit Thread! in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    82C071C8-DCC4-4ED8-A22A-6EB61429C8FD.jpeg

Another fasted run done.. a long way to go until I’m at my fittest though.

Slaw likes this.
  2. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    Good for you matey. I'm actually enjoying cycling now - and hopefully that will springboard me into eating better. My brain works like - '* i'm well fat - right, let's beat this!' Use those scales to kick start ya!

Jacob knows likes this.
  3. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Just found this an interesting watch. I'm eating waaaay too many carbs

4. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Everytime I stop eating and drinking *,crisps,chocolate and ginger etc, I'll get headaches. Something I generally never get. I usually think this is my body reacting to the sudden change of food type intake. Anyone else ever heard of or had this?

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  5. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Good video that. Anything that gives me motivation I'm all for.
    So I love a wee bit of toast. I'm always told white bread is way bad for you. So would I be right in saying brown bread is better? Or is that still classed as an unhealthy carb? I agree with @Slaw when he says you have to enjoy what you're eating. So I'm in that camp where I want to eat better but still want to enjoy my grub. So I'll cut out the crap. I'll stop having my chips in the deep fryer. In fact I'll only have chips when I have a takeaway once a week. I'll eat more fruit. I enjoy my bran flakes as a cereal(are they bad?)
    I love potatoes with my veg. They're a carb too. Some have told me they're good. Others bad.

6. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    That’ll be withdrawals, sugar is highly addictive.

7. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Brown/whole bread is definitely a much better alternative. I would very rarely eat white bread these days tbh.

In terms of bran flakes, I don’t think they are particularly good for you tbh, again they’d have a fair whack of sugar in them. I try to avoid eating cereal at all and if I do I would consider it a treat and not a nutritious way to start the day. When I’m busy and working I’ll skip breakfast and have a decent sized lunch but if I’m exercising afternoon time I’ll eat porridge with banana and peanut butter. If you’re not into that it’s just about finding something that works for you.

As for carbs, there’s a lot of truth in that video above, I did the keto diet and found I was crashing a lot less and felt energised mentally, however I couldn’t run the length of myself when I tried to exercise on it, so good clean carbs in moderation are important imo. Brown rice, brown bread, brown pasta, fruit and veg etc

8. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Yeah it's caffeine withdrawal. I stopped coffee years ago and my head was thumping and a girl at work said - have a coffee and it'll go away - and it did. Just have to push through with it or reduce your caffeine. I still get it when I stop coffee.

Twisty likes this.
  9. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I am 67 , i cant run anymore ,, getting a new knee at some point ,,, i will put the old one on E-BAY.

I swim 1 mile 4 or 5 days a week , i then go to the Gym do between 15 and 20 mile on the bike .

Weekends i just swim Sat and Sun and manage 2 miles per day.
    No cycling on those days ,, keeping fit so when i get the op it will be easier on my body, just waiting on date .

I am retired so its easier for me to make the time, which people working find it harder

Jacob knows and NakamuraTastic like this.
  10. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Good on you m8. I'm 66 and waiting to get a knee and a hip replacement so running is completely out of the question and likewise with the cycling. I won't bother to put the old ones on E-Bay - even for * all as they are so fecked. I was told by the Doctor that I was too heavy and was advised to loose some weight before my operations so I have been trying my best to eat well and I try to do three or four sessions per week at the gym however, I find it really difficult to motivate myself to actually go there sometimes and can't be arsed waiting to get on some of the equipment due to all the young posers taking selfies of themselves working out.

11. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    There should be no probs with the bike just take it easy,even if its just 1 mile per day for the first week then add another mile weekly,,, swimming helps as well just do it all bit by bit.

Find out when the gym is quiet. My gym and swim only cots me £15 per month, see if your council has the gym and pools , your Doc is rite ,,, when isyour op due ?

Wee Baldy likes this.
  12. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I had to cancel my operation in March as I care for my wife who has cancer. I've to contact his secretary once we have a better ide of what's happening. I go to the Glasgow Club which is £16 per month and has the gym, swimming and classes etc. but it's a bit of a nightmare trying to book the swimming just now as they are still operating a booking system and I can only make it if my wife's having a good day or my daughters can come to the house. Unfortunately that's early evening which is when the gym is usually at it's busiest. I'll give the bike a wee go and see how I get on though.

13. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    When I can't be arsed (this happens a lot of the times) I listen to Les Brown. He said one fascinating thing - if you listen to motivational messages everyday for 4 months, it will change the way you think. He's right. It works

Every time I want to motivate myself, i start listening again to motivational messages and it does work. Of course as soon as you stop listening, you lose it :) - but if you do listen everyday it will kick you up the *! Try it!

Wee Baldy likes this.
  14. jj81

Anyone do strongman on here ?

15. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

This time last year, i ran a 6 minute mile, but I hadn't ran for nearly 6 months until I started back last week and I'm fat as * the now. Glad to be getting back into it though! Screenshot_20220612-090933_Strava.jpg

16. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I'll definitely give it a try m8. Another thing you might be able to help me with. I find it weird that there are times when you go to the gym and you feel great and right up for a good workout yet there are times when you get there and you can really struggle. I thought it might be what I've eaten or if maybe I've had a few drinks the night before etc. however I've watched my diet etc. but still can't suss out why I get days like this. Any ideas?

17. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I use the school swimming pools , they are 25 metre pools ,, opening hours during the week are 6 am to 8 am ,, some do night times now, they are not as busy at those times .

Sorry to hear about your wife ,, i lost my youngest sister to it.

18. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Thanks Dalbeth. It's one * of a disease

19. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Any recommendations for home workout type machines ? Something cheapish that doesn't take up too much space.

Looked at this maxiclimber thing but unsure of it. Had a rowing machine in the past and found it a bit boring. Just got resistance bands just now which I need to start using again.

20. jj81

Few Kettlebells