1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Benjamin Siegrist - Dundee Utd GK

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by CountyDownFaithful, Dec 23, 2020.

Discuss Benjamin Siegrist - Dundee Utd GK in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    * me, the moaning in here.

Good keepers dont grow on trees. Great keepers are like * gold dust, and ACTUAL world class come along once or twice every 10 years ffs.

The position is a * landmine to fill properly, nevermind have it adequately covered.

Look what we paid for that numpty Barkas.

Look at how well "epl proven" Dorus De Vries did here.

Look at mr hot * Logan Bailey.

Look at how we literally couldnt hold onto Forster, TWICE, and he was far from world class.

Look how our first choice keeper, out of no other reason than lack of options, was a bitter hun * who constantly embarrassed us in Europe, and spent 4 * years moping about blaming his defence.

Seigrist is an absolutely fantastic option to have. Hes proven he can handle more than his fair share and would thrive with us.

Hes a good keeper, proven in the league, still a good age, and won't be getting bombarded with shot after shot if hes between our sticks. More than enough time to work so called lacking aspects of his game.

* yapping about distribution, or any other *, need to give themselves a shake.

Like we're gonna go out and sign the sign the reincarnation of * buffon, to sit on a bench as cover for the next two or three years.

He provides healthy competition to Hart... Who currently has NONE, the spot his his, and hes a big upgrade on Bain as cover.

And he's * FREE.

Anything else is yapping about being handed the keys to a new car and saying you dont like the color.

Joke

2. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    This and the Bain extension together don’t really make sense at all to me.

3. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I think he's a much better GK than Bain, but I agree, Extending Bain's contract seemed daft to me.

At the same time we also gave James McCarthy a 4 year deal and James Forrest a 3 year deal, we've improved a lot over the last year in terms of decision-making, but there's still a lot of work to be done in that regard.

4. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Apparently Bain is a big personality in the dressing room and is good with the young players etc. Seems similar to keeping Forrest around

5. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I think he’s a better shot stopper but he’s hopeless for our style of play. And he’s 30 years old.

We’d be far better investing in a young keeper like Muric who suits our style and can bed in for a year, play cup games and take over from Hart next season.

Honestly think Hart’s going to get exposed big time in the CL next season and show how vital a modern GK is in today’s game. Siegrist is basically a poorer version of Craig Gordon.

Signing McCarthy at all was madness. Forrest getting 3 years was just completely unnecessary. These deals and the Bain extension honestly makes me thing we’ve absolutely no interest or plan with regards to our youth and we’re just giving contracts/extensions out because players are classed as homegrown.

trackebhoy and Wllm like this.
  6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic are closing in on the signing of Benji Siegrist.

The former Dundee United No1 is a free agent after leaving Tannadice.

Celtic boss Ange Postecoglou is now set to add the 30-year-old to his goalkeeping ranks for next season.

The Hoops need extra competition for Joe Hart after Vasilis Barkas moved to Utrecht on a season-long loan.

Scott Bain is established as No2 - but Swiss keeper Siegrist could also now be brought in.

He spent four years at Tannadice and caught the eye of the Hoops with his consistent form.

Siegrist also has options in England, with Preston and Ipswich Town keen to land him.

He started his career at Aston Villa as a teenager and a move down south would hold appeal.

But Celtic are poised to win the race for his signature after holding talks.

With domestic and European commitments next season, Postecoglou wants three experienced keepers.

Conor Hazard remains on loan at HJK Helsinki - leaving Tobi Oluwayemi as the only other option.

But Siegrist's arrival could allow the 19-year-old England youth cap to go out on loan, with interest expected from across Britain.

Meanwhile, Shrewsbury goalkeeper Jaden Bevan has revealed he has been getting expert advice from Celtic star Joe Hart.

The young prospect has recently signed his first pro contract and is delighted that the ex-England stopper has taken him under his wing.

Speaking to the Shropshire Star, Bevan said: “My mum texted Joe Hart and he replied to her because they know each other.

"He messaged me and we just talked about it all, he gave me some advice and sent me videos of him talking.

“He was really helpful. He gave me advice on what to do and how to handle stuff and it was just weird talking to someone of that level as if you’re mates.

"He was talking to me as if he actually cared when he didn’t have to talk to me at all, but he did.

"He’s where I want to be and doing what I want to be doing in life, so having a chat with him made that seem more reachable and it made him seem more human."

7. solojames86

Fav Celtic Player:
    Georgios Samaras
  8. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I agree with @Valhalla in that id rather sign a younger GK who is on the way up, with the view to taking over from Hart after this season.

But I can see why this one is happening.

Rydo1888*, Wllm and Valhalla like this.
  9. PaddyJamieson

Think this is a bit * to be honest but I'm focusing on CCV, Jota and Bernabei :83:

10. Keano88

Didn’t even realise this one was ‘close’, assumed it was just paper talk.

I’m fine with it tbh, he had a couple of cracking games against us past few years, but just not sure what we do with Bain/Tobi now.

Do we shift Bain out on loan or permanent or keep 3 senior GK options and loan out Oluwayemi?

I’ll leave that to Ange.

11. ticketyboo0 Gold Member Gold Member

Better number two than Bain.

12. StainseyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Hinkel !!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Be lying if I said I understand this signing. Barkas never played, why do we need to replace him

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  13. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

Always thought this guy was a good goalie. Signing him as a number 2 for nothing. It’s a no brainer. Welcome. :)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
    Mince.Charming likes this.
  14. Mince.Charming

If Hart gets injured we would be *. Bain isn't good enough.

15. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He would improve the squad..

Rydo1888* and Cumbernauld Bhoy67 like this.
  16. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

You do realise we currently have Scott Bain as a number 2!! A back up keeper is one of our most important places to fix. Scott Bain is smaller than your average guy in the boozer and is also a pish shot stopper, thank * we’re looking at seigrest. :giggle1:

17. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

Looking up this thread though, i seem to have missed we offered Bain a new contract, * knows how i’ve missed that. That’s a strange decision by the club.

18. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Always thought he was impressive when we played United so happy to have him as backup to Hart. Just hope he can keep that level when sitting on the bench most weeks.

19. Rydo1888* Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Will be a great backup to Hart

20. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    I honestly think he will push Hart.

Cant see him displacing him right away, but in the long term i see him featuring.

Ange and co were obviously happy with what they saw during the course of the season. And as we know, Ange signings usually are brought in to compete, not to fill up squad numbers like Lenny / strachan signings.