1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Vasilis Barkas

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Callum McGregor, Jul 29, 2020.

Discuss Vasilis Barkas in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Will go down as one of the worst ever signings for us. Genuinely in the top 3.

Duffy and Kenny were horrendous, but they were both loan deals. Ajeti at least contributed at times, but Barkas had one OK game his entire time here, and essentially cost us CL football with his horrorshow against Midjytland.

I only hope the £5 million fee was heavily based on addons

2. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    To be fair if the board vetoed a signing we'd all be telling them to keep their nose out of it and let the manager decide.
    On the face of it he seemed like a good signing, CL experience and an international.
    I think he has an attitude problem and if Ange had been here he would have sussed him out and never signed him, unfortunately Lennon doesn't have those same qualities

3. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

You really have to wonder the depth of scouting that goes in for signings like this.

The cringey wee bit of paper with Lennon's targets and system that was leaked before suggests it was pretty pathetic for a huge business like ours.

The Phoenix, gazb1888 and martin_d like this.
  4. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

Also, I don't blame the player(s) here. To have three 'starters' in Barkas, Boli, and Ajeti in the squad on their wages show there was something systematic wrong with our approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buchanbhoy likes this.
  5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Reports in Greece suggest Vasilis Barkas' Celtic contract could be ripped up but there may be another option on the horizon.

The Daily Mail report Utrecht are willing to give the much-maligned goalkeeper a chance to ressurect his career

Barkas has struggled mightily since a £5m move to Celtic in 2020 and is now third choice behind Joe Hart and Scott Bain.

6. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Hope we get rid of this clown, he is utter *.

7. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Let him go on a freebie just to get the * off the wage bill.
    We would be lucky to get a pint of lager and a packet of crisps for a transfer fee for him.
    I just hope the club learns from * like this?

8. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Definitely up their with one of our worst signings in our history.

Needs punted for anything.

9. celticdaft238

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Unmitigated disaster of a transfer.

The fact we spent £4.5m on him and are now struggling to even get a penny for him says it all.

10. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    I know Craig Gordon is a *. But how we could let him leave for free and sign * Barkas. The guy cant talk English. Its kinda important for your goalkeeper and centre halves to be able to understand each other. On top of that he is utter pish and Im sure he mentioned at one point that he wasnt even a natural goalkeeper. For that money aswell it is just unbelievable.

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    Firstly, he can speak English. In fact i'd wager he probably speaks a more grammatically correct register of English than a lot of our Scottish players. He's just had an absolute nightmare since being here and clearly doesn't have the mental fortitude or resilience to come back from it.

On Gordon, we let him go for free because he knew he wasn't going to be number 1 (He hadn't been our consistent first choice since Bain arrived really, his form was that bad) whether it was going to be Forster or a new signing and he was happy to go back to Hearts. Furthermore, at the time everybody was genuinely pleased that we had shelled out 5 million on a 26 year old international goalkeeper in Barkas (Remember there was talk of us going for David Marshall for free which was not well received) as it was the logical next best thing to not signing up Forster on a permanent deal.

13. JamesM09

It would’ve been weird to drop Gordon for a year for Forster, try and get Forster back and then end up going back to Gordon.

They had to get someone else in but they got this one badly badly wrong. I really hope they’ve done some sort of internal investigation into how they * this one so much. I know signings don’t work out sometimes but this one was a different level.

14. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    I’d literally accept any offer for him, if no one wants him and the transfer window shuts then release him.

Hammy89 likes this.
  15. Mr. Slippyfist

I reckon he could still come good.

Guchi Gucci likes this.
  16. nowherebhoy

signed for utrecht on his instagram

17. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

1 year loan apparently.

18. GavCFC1

Loan for the season to Utrecht

19. GavCFC1

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

FC Utrecht will have Vasilis Barkas available in the 2022/2023 season. The Greek goalie will be rented by the Utrecht team from the Scottish Celtic in the coming year. The 28-year-old goalkeeper becomes, after Tasos Douvikas, the second international of Greece in the selection corps of the Utrecht FC.

Barkas was born in Athens to a Greek father and Dutch mother. The keeper goes through the youth academy of Atromitos and also makes his debut in professional football on behalf of that club. In 2016 he exchanges that team for fellow city rivals AEK Athens. As the closing post of that top club, he plays more than a hundred matches, including duels in the Champions League and Europa League. His strong play will result in a debut for the Greece national team in the spring of 2018, for which Barkas has made thirteen appearances so far; for the time being, the last time on 11 November 2020. At that time, Barkas is already a player of the Scottish top club Celtic, for which he plays 24 times, including in the Champions League preliminary rounds and the Europa League main tournament.

“Due to the ongoing injury of Fabian de Keijzer and the departure of Eric Oelschlägel, we aimed to strengthen our goalkeepers' guild. We are very pleased that this has been achieved with Vasilis Barkas,” says FC Utrecht Technical Director Jordy Zuidam. “Vasilis is a big and athletic goalkeeper. He has good reflexes, rules in the air in the box, stands his ground in one-on-one duels and has charisma. Vasilis is also an experienced keeper, who has played under the bar at top clubs in Greece and Scotland and has played the necessary international matches with Greece. He gives our team an absolute boost.”