1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Aiden McGeady

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by The Regime, Mar 1, 2016.

Discuss Aiden McGeady in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Regardless of what anyone says about his attitude, he was a very talented footballer who didnt reach anywhere near his potential.

He was outstanding for us at times in the champions league. Awful decision to move to Russia.

2. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    The club wanted him to go, they needed the money to rebuild, so he went. I think he should have come back but I think by 2017 it was too late as we had Sincy, Roberts and Forrest.

aliceinsound likes this.
  3. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    I’m sure McGeady could be a bit of a * but this story reminds me of how strange Strachan was as a manager as well.
    Successful enough but always seemed like he deliberately went out of his way to * folk off including us fans.

KRS-1888 likes this.
  4. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    It was still an awful decision to move to Russia. He could have went to England, Spain, even probably Italy at that time.

5. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    Did quite well out in Russia though. Was very highly regarded in what was a very strong league at the time. Pretty sure he won player of the season once. Thought he could’ve done better at Everton though, he was 27 and that really was an opportunity for him to show how good he could be in his peak years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    It depends on who came with the right money for the club at that time.

I'd say his biggest mistake was not coming back when Everton wasn't going right.

7. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

From the interviews I’ve seen he loved it over there.

8. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Maybe personal opinion. I know he did well and played in the champions league but I think that he could have chosen a better career move and club

9. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Johnson wants him at Hibs apparently.

10. Pacific Ocean Blue

I thought he was decent. Was class in the 07/08 season and was one of our better players under Mowbray but outwith that he was more cold than hot - Maloney was much more consistent.

His performance against Celtic for Spartak at Parkhead summed it for me = largely anonymous.

11. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony

12. Fear Dearg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Pat Bonnar
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    He even learned Russian

Luis1967 likes this.
  13. aliceinsound

He did want a move to England, but the only club we accepted a bid from was Spartak so his only other option on the table was to run out his contract, which would have been terrible for everyone

Regardless I think joining the biggest team in Moscow was a better move than relegation battles with Birmingham or Sunderland

14. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    You dont think he could have done better then Birmingham or Sunderland?
    He was immense in some games in the champions league for us. I think he was desperately unlucky.

15. aliceinsound

Well he said his preference was Birmingham city, so the implication being they were the best option showing serious interest at the time aside from Spartak Moscow

I think O'Neil was interested in taking him to Villa but the fact he resigned in August because they weren't giving him any money to spend explains why they one wasn't going to happen . I'm sure Everton were a bit skint as well as they didn't sign someone else that season for a large fee

It's not that he couldn't have done better it's that nobody better was going to match the £9.5 million Spartak paid, even for most EPL sides in 2010 that would have meant a massive chunk of their transfer kitty on a player they might have viewed as a luxury

Last edited: May 30, 2022
  16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    He did, but he didn’t want that as a move. We accepted that bid because they came in high with no bullshit, money up front. He took the pish with a wage demand and they said aye no bother. Apparently we had Joe Ledley waiting in the lobby to sign waiting on him saying aye to it.

McGeady’s fee built Lennon’s team that eventually got to the last 16. And he done well in Russia, spent the majority of his best years as a player in the Champions League and made the wrong move to Everton.

Where he got knocked back moves while there that could have been good for him, just incase they needed him because he was ‘training well’

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Hibs are confident they’ve won the race to sign Aiden McGeady - and the winger could even be on board for their pre-season camp in Portugal at the end of the month

Record Sport understands the former Celticand Ireland star is close to agreeing a move to Easter Road after his release from Sunderland.

New boss Lee Johnson is desperate to link-up again with the 36-year-old who he reckons can provide the magic to unlock defences in the final third.

But it’s McGeady who will excite the Hibsfaithful after a dire campaign which saw goals at a premium and a miserable eighth place finish as well as two managers sacked.

New boss Johnson last night admitted his interest in the veteran who was a regular under his charge at Sunderland.

He said: “I have got a strong relationship with Aiden, he is a fantastic player with unbelievable feet. He gets to the corner of the box then often there’s an assist or a shot at goal.

“He is 36 so whether it’s us or anyone else he has nothing to prove but a lot to prove as well.

“He is a maverick, he is a challenging but inspiring character to have in your squad and whoever gets Aiden McGeady for a year or two will have an exceptional player and person."

Johnson has already made six signings with David Marshall, Lewis Miller, Jair Tavares, Rocky Bushiri, Nohan Kenneh and Momodou Bojang heading in the door.

But Macey will depart after 18 months and 52 appearances in a deal that will net the Hibees close to £100,000.

18. SkyeCelt

I'd pay to watch a McGeady and Gordon Strachan charity boxing match.

19. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    Would love a McGeady swansong in Scottish football. One of my all time favourites. Post-Larsson only Paddy McCourt was was naturally gifted. If Paddy had been more disciplined he would have been the GOAT

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Aiden McGeady has passed his Hibs medical and is expected to be confirmed as Lee Johnson’s eighth summer signing later tonight, writes Fraser Wilson.

The 36-year-old has agreed terms on a deal to reunite with his former Sunderland boss after his contract at the Stadium of Light expired last month.

McGeady came through a vigorous medical at East Mains earlier and is now set to join his new team mates on their pre-season trip to the Algarve on Sunday.

There they will face friendlies against Hartlepool United and Burton Albion.

Johnson hopes the 93-times capped former Ireland international can produce the magic to unlock defences and get supporters off their seats after a dire campaign which saw them finish eighth.

McGeady joins former Celtic team mate David Marshall, Nohan Kenneh, Momodou Bojang, Rocky Bushiri, Lewis Miller, Jair Tavares and Kyle McClelland in moving to Easter Road this summer.

NakamuraTastic and Liam Scales like this.