1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Great Unknowns of History

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Northerner, May 22, 2022.

Discuss Great Unknowns of History in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Northerner Ave Maria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    A thread for all the great people, animals, events, groups, or otherwise that possibly aren't as renowned in world history as they should be despite the great things they've done.

My first pick is Maximilian Kolbe, who is also my profile picture.

During WW2, he refused to sign the Deutsche Volksliste when the town his friary was in was captured by the Germans, which would have given him rights similar to those of German citizens in exchange for recognizing his ethnic German ancestry. He continued work at his friary where he and other friars provided shelter to refugees from Greater Poland including 2,000 Jews whom he hid from German persecution in the Niepokalanów friary.

He was arrested in February 1941 on charges of aiding Jews and the Polish underground and was imprisoned in Warsaw. He was deported to the death camp of Auschwitz as a result.

Things took a dramatic turn at the end of July 1941, when a prisoner escaped from Auschwitz. In retaliation, the deputy camp commander picked up 10 men to be starved to death in an underground bunker to deter further escape attempts. When one of the selected men, Franciszek Gajowniczek, cried out, "My wife! My children!", Kolbe volunteered to die in his place, arguing he was a Catholic priest and older than Gajowniczek. The deputy commander accepted the offer.

He died a true Catholic and an honourable man, opposed hatred to the end and subsequently laid down his own life for a man who didn't even know so that children would still have a father.

2. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

The wee white guy on the keyboards wrote this and loads of other classic tunes, (Michael Jackson's Thriller,Rock With You etc).Hardly anyone knows who he was,hence the name 'The Invisible Man'..

Rod Temperton - genius and unsung hero.

3. Conjuring_Obey Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley song
    I understand they’ve had quite a bit of coverage with the Sky series recently but the firefighters, liquidators and everyone else involved with the clean up of Chernobyl as plenty of people have given their lives for it. Too many people unknowingly walked into the most unknown grim deaths due to ignorance of radiation dangers even though it was pretty well known how dangerous it already was.

4. Forestbhoy66 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Warren James, the crown decided to take away our rights regarding the forest and people went into almost starvation. Managed to raise 3000 people, which must have been most of them then, and was sentenced to death. The sentence was changed to being sent to Tasmania and when the sentence was overturned he couldn’t return home and died out there. So proud to be from the same place as he was born.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_James

5. seanm

Gid bless him

Northerner and Sydneysider like this.
  6. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    That I am Officially Classed As Sane!!:84:

Northerner and seanm like this.
  7. oh bhoy

gavrilo princip ,not exactly unknown but the amount of death and destruction caused as a result of that * actions may never be surpassed. if there was one person in history you could eliminate for the greater good hes the one .

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    Northerner, seanm and Liam Scales like this.
  8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Think it would have happened regardless of him, he did ignite the spark but the fuel was already there

Northerner likes this.
  9. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Goering 2nd In The Third Reich Heavily Inspired Animal Rights

And Wrote A Letter To Churchill Warning The Dangers Of The Soviet Union and They Getting The Atomic Bomb!

Northerner and seanm like this.
  10. oh bhoy

yeah its quite possible but it may never have kicked off ,* knows what the world would look like today

Northerner and Liam Scales like this.
  11. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    The great Rangers team of 2022, who won the World Cup, the Europa Runners Up Championship, the Second Best League title, The Eurovisian Sectarian Song Contest, the * Factor, Crufts, The Water Olympics, and last but not least, the only one they wanted to win...... The Scottish Cup Champions.

Best team ever, better than the Lisbon Lions and every other team to grace the field

Unsung heroes.

12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    https://www.britannica.com/topic/Sea-People

The idea of the Sea People fascinates me, a military force large enough and competent enough to take on empires, across the world, and very little is known about them outwith the fact they existed.

Northerner and Forestbhoy66 like this.
  13. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

14. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman

It shows the class of that team that even although it went to extra time they still managed to defeat a world class hearts side and it is worth noting that if there had been more bottled water available at the stadium in Seville for their supporters then there is no way they'd have lost that Europa League final either.

johnboy19 likes this.
  15. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

I got a picture of his cell in Auschwitz and when I got them developed there was loads of energy orbs in the picture. There was definitely a feeling of strong presence in that particular wing. Wether people believe it or not. I still have the pic somewhere and will post it if I find it.

16. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Not so much unknown but not very well promoted. Leila Khalid is a Palestinian activist and former freedom fighter. She hijacked a plane from Rome to Tel Aviv in 1969. She then went through six facial surgeries to change her appearance to be able to fight on without being recognised.

[​IMG]

bagforlife likes this.
  17. Northerner Ave Maria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Amazing. I still haven't been there and I'm not sure I ever would want to. I'd love to see his cell, though. I learned about him recently and been enamoured with his story ever since.

packybhoy likes this.