1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

2022/23 Transfer Budget

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, May 20, 2022.

Discuss 2022/23 Transfer Budget in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Im a mathematically challenged, so have zero idea about overheads, player salaries et al.

But how much SHOULD we be spending this summer to "compete" in next years CL.

Obviously terms like "an assault on the CL" are pie in the sky. We just cant compete financially with 75% of the teams in the competition.

But with an optimistic view to making it out of the groups, what sort of a figure are we looking at?

Does anyone have an idea of much we COULD spend?

And what should we spend it on?

2. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    I wouldn’t even say it’s down to just competing in the champions league, we need to spend to compete on all fronts for me.

Last year we spend just under 24 million on players, but what’s extremely interesting is player sales, we sold just under 34 millions pounds worth, it including the add on for Christie now.

I honestly would expect us to be spending the very minimum of 24 million again on real quality, this 24 million will include making Jota, CCV and Meada permanent. That’s 14 million used we should be able to use another 10 or so million to pick up a quality left back and what else we need.

Cumbernauld Bhoy67 likes this.
  3. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I think we will probably spend about £18m and bring in a couple of loan to buy again.
    In the end it isn't purely about the money we spend, last summer Starfelt and Kyogo were the only 2 with significant fees and they were not that big. It's really about where and how you spend it. I think Hatate, Maeda, O'Riley, Hart, Juranovic, Giakoumakis and Abada have all shown recruitment can be done cheaper if done well.

borvebhoy, Dublin Celt and martin_d like this.
  4. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Much do yous thibk a "quality" lb will cost us?

In the european market, youre talking at least plus 6m. And even then, theyll still need a fair bit of development imo.

Hopefully Ange has had his eye on another Asian steal lol

5. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    We have a quality RB for under £3m, so it could be £6m I don't think you need to spend that.

bhoy81 likes this.
  6. Mr Diggler

I don't think the actual expenditure is that important. What is important is if the manager has a player he wants we shouldn't be fighting over 500k or an extra million in transfer fee. Backing the manager is absolutely key. I think we will see CCV and Jota sign totalling probably £12 million or so. Then it is up to the manager and who he sees fit to identify as upgrades to certain positions. I dont see us spending over £25 million altogether though and we most likely will keep our key men.

greengrocer likes this.
  7. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I'm not going to guess at figures because I simply don't know. However, sealing the league and the departures of high earners should give us a fair bit of leeway in the transfer market.

Should be remembered that if (and imo that's a big if) we manage to sign both Carter-Vickers and Jota permanently, that'll eat into a sizeable chunk of the budget.

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Barkas
    Ajeti
    Boli
    Soro
    Jullien
    Rogic
    Bitton
    Urhoghide

That's some big wages going and hopefully going out the door. Has to be no far off 100 bag's that list above..

Very likely well over 5 mill all in if we get some sort of fee's from Israel and the middle east for Bitton and Tam. Then a mill plus for Jullien, Ajeti and something for Barkas. Definitely get a fee for Urhoghide and Soro also. No forgetting Boli either..

The 40 mill champions league money. 6 mill or so for the Ange homecoming. Christie couple mill. Think I read due more Ajer money now. If any other ex player's like Frimpong or Dembele go..

I don't know how much we'll spend but our wage bill must be right down these day's. We don't even need to spend massive amounts. Ange has proven he can shop about and find bargains at any level now. I trust in him to step it up for a higher calibre now we're moving up a level to the top table and in a good position..

9. JamesM09

Honestly I would’ve taken a punt at this question 10 years ago but these days it’s just impossible.

We see teams with 5x our budget getting absolutely destroyed. I think it’s more important to bring in the right piece of the puzzle rather than an individual player of quality. I think that’s the shift we’ll see under Ange.

martin_d likes this.
  10. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    You don’t have to spend a lot, just buy wisely. Rangers have shown you can buy cheap and still compete if you play smart and get some luck. Kent aside, their starting team the other night cost peanuts.

11. oh bhoy

£13.6 million to maintain the team we have so anything North of that ,* knows the players from Japan have totally skewed the idea of what top players should cost

12. jambo_cfc

With the players that could be leaving a i think with transfer fees and wages tht would free up around 10-12 million plus i think the board will allow for another 15-20million , i think we need 5 or 6 good squad/first team players in whether that is starters or not we shall see, also this is jota and ccv stay

Gk - hart , bain , young bhoy in reserves
    Rb - ralston , juranovic
    Rcb - CCV , new rcb , welsh as back up
    Lcb - starfelt , new lcb
    Lb - new Lb , taylor
    Dmc - new wanyama type , ideguchi , mccarthy
    Cm - mcgregor , oreilly , turnbull , hatate , rogic replacement
    Lw - jota , new lw
    Rw - abada , maeda , forrest
    Cf - kyogo , giakoumakis, new striker

think we need to improve on what we have and our aim should be 3rd in champions league group and europa beyond christmas and make a good run in that

Creativecelt likes this.
  13. Lochlin Mcghee

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Roll of honour
    Budget 15-18 million.
    Dross like ajeti ect. 4-7 million.
    Christie windfall £1-2 million

Without champions league cash gives ye 20-27 million
    Jota and ccv 12-14 million.
    Couple pree contracts or good youths from city group thanks to Mark Lawell.
    Lb 3 million
    Cdm 3-5 million
    Winger 3 million
    Defender 4 million
    Striker 4-6 million
    Total spend Around 31 million. Dip into the champions league cash for the rest. And wee win the league, turn a massive profit and ruin the huns. Gees the job.

14. celtic warrior

I reckon spend will be about a break even.

Which means * all but I'd imagine that might be about £25mill....but to cheat that will consist, I hope, mostly of signing Jota and CCV.

15. StainseyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Hinkel !!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    We don't ever have a budget deals are looked at on a player by player basis. Like we'll happily spend 6 mill on Jota, but if he doesn't come, don't expect us to spend 6ll mill on a different winger.

That being said I'd hope for 13 Mill for CCV & Jota.
    Two first teamers at around 3 mill each
    A young kid of less than a mill
    Some really young frees
    And two deadline day loans

So 20 mil and a couple of loans, with a few outgoings bringing in about 3/4 mil

16. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    £30mill including the ccv and Jota deals.

Plus extra if anyone else leaves (including Julien) that isn't basically deadwood.

Half that budget to the two already here.
    3-5 mill on a left back to match the calibre of Josip
    A defensive mid and an attacking mid combined 8-10mill.

Spare, fill in some extra places like an extra winger and keeper.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

17. Creativecelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current Team:Kyogo; Invincible Team: Brown; Seville Team: Larsson; Burns Team: McNamara
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Various
    Shifting the squad players that aren't being played is the biggest challenge. it also depends on the players that we have scouted having a short contract left, which will hopefully reduce the transfer fee. this is an important window for Ange and Nicholson and lawwell jr to get right. Hopefully we have some young academy players who will make the grade and get game time next season.

18. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    We we are on the verge of signing a quality left winger for 6.5 million and 6 million for a CB in CCV.

European Market there will be plenty of players for 6 million, who is to say Ange isn’t looking further a field than the European Market.

19. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    The two things we must do first is sign Jota and Carter-Vickers. We already know they are quality so there is no risk involved.

The question after that is how much is the board willing to spend? Not how much we are able to spend. Its two completely different things as we have seen for decades now

20. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Outwith signing Jota and CCV we should be spending at least £15m on 3 or 4 players. With Ange we might get the quality but for less than that but in total 25-30m should be available if Ange needs it

Blochairnbhoy likes this.