1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Tom Rogic a Celtic legend?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, May 18, 2022.

Discuss Is Tom Rogic a Celtic legend? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He's given 9 years of service, won 16 trophies, scored one of the most important goals in club history to secure the Invincible Treble, along with many other crucial goals and wonderful performances.

2. snails67 Gold Member Gold Member

I think so as you say the amount of trophies and goals to win leagues cups and against them makes him one in my eyes

3. Cringer67

As always, this depends on your interpretation of legend. To me, legendary status is reserved for the those at the every top.
    Think Larsson, McNeill and the Lions. In recent times I think only Broony. Calmac should definitely get there too.
    Guys like Rogic, whilst tremendous players and servants to the club, don't quite hit those heights for me.

4. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    No.

Club Icon for sure. But the term "legend" gets tossed around far too easily. And I mean that with the utmost of respect to what Rogic done at this club.

Legend is for the Lisbon Lions, Larsson, McStay, Burns - Icons is for guys like Rogic, Lubo, Naka, Dalglish

5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    The only player since Larsson to make it in to the "legend" category is Brown.

6. noise

100% agree with this

7. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I'd say in terms of what he contributed as a player, he has a stronger argument than McStay and Burns. More so McStay due to Burns non-playing legacy with the club.

8. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Rogic, for mine, is on the same level as someone like Moravcik - outrageously gifted players and will be undoubtedly will never be forgotten. But legends are few and far between and stand the test of time for a reason, and in truth a tag like 'Legend' or 'Iconic' etc get bundied around far too easily.

In years to come it might be appropriate to consider how he will be remembered fully, as only time can tell that, as don't want to label simply due to recency bias.

OziBeerMan and cidermaster like this.
  9. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I knew this would split opinion and I expect more 'No' answers overall, but what is he missing in your opinion?

16 trophies and a big part of 9 in a row is a strong argument in his favour. Also an invincible, very few players can claim that.

10. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Ok, now I know this is a pisstake thread.

11. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Nope.

12. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Bitton a club legend as well then?
    Forrest?

I don't think trophy haul is the defining factor here. Some players become icons (or even legends) not based on trophies, but who they are, what they done, how they sit within the minds of fans (collectively) and a whole bunch of other factors that are almost impossible to pin down to 1 or 2 factors.

Hence it took Brown to eventually captain us to a treble treble before he cemented in the minds of everyone that he is a club legend - he then went on to get another treble as captain.

McGregor, who was pivitol in those trebles as well, doesn't make Legend status, even though he is a captain now. For most, I reckon McGregor would need to go ahead and get his own captain's treble, or take us deep in to Europe before we discuss his merits seriously.

For Rogic (and Bitton and Forrest), they didn't reach that level to captain, to lead.

Absolute Icons for sure, never to be forgotten at this club. But Legends, no chance.

Creativecelt likes this.
  13. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Bitton no, Forrest yes.

No trophy haul alone isn't the defining factor, but Rogic has a far stronger contribution and level of performance than Bitton, same with Forrest.

I can understand why you feel the way you do and I expected opinions like this, but we've no games for ages and no summer World Cup. :D

Liam Scales and Peej like this.
  14. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I'm all for the topic and discussion, absolutely love hearing the merits from both sides of the argument and we need something to pass the time for the next 10 weeks or so.

But you're still wrong

:56:

15. G40B

A cult hero rather than legend, I’d say.

Wee Baldy and Creativecelt like this.
  16. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    You serious?

Listen Rogic is probably my favourite player since Lubo and I don't even count him as a legend, Broony just makes it in for me and before that it was Larsson, them your probably going back to a mcstay/burns.

Dont even think Tam could be a great, thats only a few players also and I include the likes of current players like McGregor and Forrest.

Maybe the loosely termed legend phrase used is fitting for these type of players but not the Lisbon Lions, TB, McGrain, McStay, Henke 'Legend'.

Maybe the word iconic suits players of this ilk.

Jeannie960 likes this.
  17. BelfastCelt88

I see legends as in Henrik, Tommy Burns, Lisbon Lions etc. I wouldn’t put him alongside them so does that make him a cult hero? Great servant? Definitely.

18. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I voted that he was a legend but agree with one of the posts above... Rogic is more of an icon like Lubo and Naka in the last 22 years, I'd probably put Jamesy in there too.

Callum McGregor has a huge chance to become a legend in my eyes. Broony and Larsson are probably the only legends of the club in the last 20 years. I think Calmac needs to keep on winning trophies and playing games. If he continues and he breaks into the top 10 appearance makers for the club, would be hard to argue against him.

Think the goal for the invincible treble will go down as the most exciting goal we have scored in a very very long time. Was certainly the most emotional I have ever been in the stadium in the 15 years I've been a season ticket holder. Can't think of any better. So from that point of view, I see that moment as legendary and he will never be forgotten for scoring that goal, which makes him a legend in my eyes.

Can see both sides though. It's a difficult one.

RiquelmeCSC likes this.
  19. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I’d have a tier just below legend called “greats”. Rogic is a Celtic great.

Blochairnbhoy and Wee Baldy like this.
  20. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    You forgot Ange :86:

Peej likes this.