1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Cameron Carter-Vickers.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Thumb, Aug 31, 2021.

Discuss Cameron Carter-Vickers. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    Pay whatever it takes for * sake.

2. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Surely that goes up with CL qualification?

I don’t see a problem with paying these two the same or slightly more. The captain isn’t always the highest paid player in a team, while Cal is a top player in his own right, and would most like walk into most PL clubs teams, Jota and CCV are going to be important pieces that we can’t afford to lose if we are going to take the next step.

I 100% believe both will be with us next season. The board would have enjoyed this season just as much as the fans and they will love the energy that has been brought to the place by Ange and his team. They won’t want to undo the great work and feeling that’s been created.

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

4. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Broony was the highest paid player until he left and he was meant to be on £30k a week, I seriously doubt Calmac is now on more than he was. I doubt any of our current squad are on more than £30k per week, and I was under the imperssion the cap was £35k per week, so I personally doubt anyone will be getting offered anywhere near £40k pw as it just has a knock on effect for the rest of the squad and any new signings, regardless of how good they are wanting more as well.

I think we need to stick to the wage structure but with MUCH better bonuses for things like getting out of the CL group stage, either to EL or CL knock out stages, and winning the league etc. Things that are achievable but mean we have the money to pay them without leaving us in the *, paying stupidly high wages for years on end, if things go badly.

Not that I expect things to go badly under Ange, but the money men will be looking at worst case scenarios and where it could leave us.

5. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    He’s obviously staying if away on holiday with the rest of our team

Rydo1888* likes this.
  6. saltire78

He's technically still under the loan deal with us, isn't he? I'd assume he was signed to cover entire season - including the Scottish Cup Final and any possible euro matches. Probably not worth reading anything into it except that he likes the others and is comfortable with them outwith the matches

7. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    How long is this wage structure going back though? I dont believe that it would be the same as what it was 5-10 years ago. Id imagine the top end of each tier would have risen to align with inflation, etc.
    I would imagine even Browns wages would have risen by a % with every passing year of his contact.

It wouldnt surprise me if Cal Mac was on in excess of 30-35k a week.

8. aliceinsound

I'd say £40 K a week for a ambitous Bundesliga side in Berlin who play infront of 50K fans was a very good best option for someone of Boyata's quality, certainly no worse than Fulham

9. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    That would have been in Rodgers time here, and without CL football/money since then I would doubt they have upped it. Personally I would be astonished if Calmac was on anything over 30kpw, I actually suspect it's more like £25k, but that's just my take on it from various things I have seen and I could be way off.

10. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Supposedly all the first team are heading to Ibiza

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  11. Keano88

Ziggy likes this.
  12. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman

Henrik was on 40k a week when he got his bumper contract....and that was 20 year ago now. Obviously Henrik was different class from any other player in the country then...and still definitely would be. But it just shows that we've got the money for these wages when we need it.

We also gave Bobo Balde a crazy contract. Something like 30 odd grand a week on a 4 year deal or something again about 20 year ago....and he just sat on it....we didnt get a transfer fee for him or anything. So I suppose the board looks at those types of scenarios and would be keen not to get burned again.

But once again...... (and I feel like I've been saying this for decades now...everytime we've been champions)......We cannot miss this opportunity to improve our team from a position of strength. That means keeping our best players and also signing better ones. But I doubt the board is gonnae give a * and will probably * us peasant fans over as usual.

James Mc and bigmac7288 like this.
  13. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    The circumstances are a bit different.
    Henrik was clearly levels above. There was never a risk there.

Bobo was probably where we overpaid and in any case he wasnt favoured by Strachan after the change of manager.

Gravesen would have been a better example as he came in and commanded big wages and had never played with us or in the league. He had undoubted quality but was erratic and couldnt be depended on.

Jota is already worth more than double the arranged fee it will cost us to buy. Id give him 25-30k And performance related bonuses over and above.
    I could guarantee if he stayed fit, there would be premier league and european teams in for him next summer. He would light up the champions league, a mercurial talent.

We have seen enough of CCV to suggest he is solid and dependable. He is a rock and has leadership qualities. Id give him the money he wanted if we could afford it with a release clause. He is already established in the side. Mcgregor gets injured, CCV or Hart is your captain.

14. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fixed it for you

15. JamesM09

The problem is the agents. If you bang down big money for CCV and Jota in wages, every agent whose player has a good season or is signed for a bit of cash will be demanding those types of salaries.

You’ve got to have structure for the harmony of the team.

16. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    We won't progress if we rigidly stick to the wage structure. Players should be aware now that the more talented and important you are to the team the more money you are going to get.

If its at the risk of losing out on players like him and Jota we'd be so stupid not to.

17. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    The thing is, you can still stick to the wage structure and give them huge bonuses for playing, winning, clean sheets, scoring etc.

Broony was always the highest paid player at the club in terms of wages but I'm sure Scott Sinclair was the best paid player we had when bonuses etc were taken into consideration. There was rumours Scotty was getting £2000 for starting games, £3000 for scoring a goal. Ridiculous things like that.

Jack Hendry was getting £2000 for starting in * European games I'm sure. They were * qualifiers anaw.

18. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    There has to be exceptions and the structure has to adjust with the times.

We could pay millions trying to replace the quality of Jota and CCV. Even more on that in missing out on competitions, qualification etc.

Both Jota and CCV come from a good pedigree and have proven their quality. The risk is far less than bringing a player in from another league and/or country. What they have both achieved in a short time is remarkable.

Maybe Desmond can make up for the past season and subsidise their wages a bit for us again.

craigtheceltic and Sydneysider like this.
  19. saltire78

I think a lot of the problems stem from agents regularly inserting a 'highest paid player' clause in contracts, which mean it's not just a single player getting say £40kpw, but suddenly another 2 or 3 by knock-on effect. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Broonie got a pay bump once for that reason, which was why they subsequently had to pare his wages downward.

Clearly noone on this forum has access to all the financial ramifications of breaking the wage structure open, unless there's someone stealthing the blogs :fear:, however there's clearly a situation here where we could sign both Jota and CCV for the options available, sell just ONE of them and recoup more than the cost of both, only to refuse to do so for what amounts to about an extra £1-2M a year

20. G40B

Can’t believe there’s Celtic fans still trying to justify the wage cap.

It’s a Lawwell dreamt up nonsense that likely cost the club more than it benefited it.

The club never teetered on the edge of bankruptcy when Lawwell’s pay packet rocketed above the cap, nor did any players kick up a fuss.

Time to abolish it.

Mystic Penguin likes this.