1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Second Most Important Goal in our History?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by McGrory1888, May 14, 2022.

Discuss The Second Most Important Goal in our History? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    The day that Tom Rogic pulls on our beloved hoops for the final time seems a fitting time to ask the question of who scored our second most important goal in history?

Undeniably Stevie Chalmers is lightyears ahead as scoring the most important, but is Tom’s goal at Hampden second on the list having sealed an invincible treble that likely will never be repeated, does Gemmell’s equaliser in Lisbon rank higher, did King Billy pip him to the post by soaring highest against Vojvodina, or does someone else get your vote?

2. murphy88

I would say Larsson’s at home to St. Johnstone to stop the 10 was more important than Rogic’s.

3. Al Bootyerbaws

Good question. Maybe not second most important but Harald Brattbakk’s goal to clinch the league in 98 must be up there. It is for me anyway.

4. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    "The second best priest in the country.......the second best......"

5. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Both definitely crossed my mind, however technically speaking only one of them was actually needed for the result (although both were needed for our hearts!) so I think that takes away from them on an individual level on this type of scale. Our most important win outwith the Lions in my opinion though, so if either of those goals had been the winner in a 1-0 win that day, I’d completely agree with you.

Easter Rd Davie likes this.
  6. murphy88

I would argue that both goals that day were more important than Rogic’s. Losing the final that day would have been devastating, no question about it. I don’t think it would have been worse than losing the title and seeing they * win 10 however.

McGrory1888 likes this.
  7. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    If the most important goal was Chalmers, would the 2nd most important goal no be Gemmell's? Or are they both joint 1st?

What about Willie Wallace's goals in the semis, or McNeill's goal in the quarters? What about McNeill's late winner in the 1964 Scottish cup final, that goal is said to have launched Celtic's dominance under Jock Stein.

How can you value a goal that wins a final over the goals that get you there? How does a Scottish Cup final goal compare with a European Cup semi final goal? I don't think you can say one goal is more important than another.

We can say that Rogic's cup final goal sealed one of our most memorable achievements, but without Armstrong's goal it wouldn't have done it. And in terms of the invincible treble there was a * of a lot of important goals along the way. What about Sinclair v Hearts? :43:

8. Al Bootyerbaws

Albert Kidd.

Dannybhoy81 likes this.
  9. leeso-ardoyne

Rogics goal thst day was important but Larson and bratbscks against stjohnstone were far more important. Even Lambert's goal against the Huns in the NY game was more important than rogics. The importance of stopping them winning 10iar after us not winning the league for so long is definitely about us winning a treble. That's not down playing trebles because they are difficult to come by but anyone about during the 90s will understand the significance of winning the league that season.