1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Carl Starfelt

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Valhalla, Jul 21, 2021.

Discuss Carl Starfelt in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. saltire78

Think a lot of people made up their minds early about him early, and now use every negative to reinforce that. He's not an absolute top-tier player - if he was he wouldn't be in Scotland, but he does far more right than wrong. People also need to remember it's his debut season for us, and he's not the first/worst in taking time to settle.

We need another, better, player if we want serious impact in CL, but he's good enough for us in 99% of our requirements. Playing the way we do, if our defenders or keeper * up it's glaring. Alternative is to switch our entire philosophy of play to inherently defensive or buy at whatever cost we can to get better

murphy88 likes this.
  2. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Got off to a shaky start at Celtic, but I think he's been outstanding since then.

Better players than him make the odd error.

3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Tbf, I'd put that more down to Ralston's shocker of a first touch. Wasn't a difficult pass to control. Bounced off him.

Dan Breen likes this.
  4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Agreed, but our problem is we need that all over the pitch, really. If by serious impact you mean properly challenging to get into the last 16, our squad is miles away from that - unless we get a very favourable group.

saltire78 and Pogues like this.
  5. saltire78

I agree with you too... I just can't see any likelihood we don't get at least one CL team that'll smash us over both legs as is... If we patch one 'hole' they'll just reset onto another... Genuine CL contention could take stupendous luck or several years of continuous progression.

But... I think that the Huns are showing how well you can operate at that kind of level if you're able to shut teams out. That's why I'd definitely look at strengthening defence/DM as a priority

6. connerm57

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields
    Kelvin wilson vibes, think hel be a beast next season got all the attributes just need tae cut oot the brain farts.

7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He had a couple dodgy passes but apart from that he was a colossus, got his head on everything.

Arguably MOTM.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  8. Keano88

Been a few games recently where he’s stuck his head on everything when we’ve had the backs against the wall. Always seems to be in the right place in that respect.

Couple of * passes yesterday when under pressure though which he’ll need to cut out of his game if we’re to do anything in Europe.

Domestically he’s more than good enough for us but jury still out for European competition.

9. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    From seeing your posts in this thread, I could discern the same. Folk can set their stall out and will find anything to reinforce their perspective. I’ve reserved full judgement on him until now.

He has improved no doubt; however, the amount of mistakes or head scratching moments he can make in an average game are concerning.

Twice he gave the ball away in dangerous circumstances. He left Wright drift past him really easily when Taylor lost the header. And the one where Sakala hits the post he gets drawn to the ball when Sakala is playing on his shoulder. To be fair to him he got his head to a lot but could have easily been involved in conceding a goal and if it meant us losing the game then it’s a different story.

From what I’ve seen, he’s not going to cut the mustard in Europe for us. Far too erratic. He’ll be okay domestically but will be a concern when we play any half decent team that can press. We can do better: Denayer, Van Dijk, Benkovic, Ajer, Mulgrew and Boyata (possibly) over the last 10 years demonstrate that.

10. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Was not a fan early doors, especially after his performance in the LC final. But have to say, there has been an improvement since. Still way too many brain farts, no worries against SPL dross but will be costly in Europe, unless he can cut it out.
    I do reckon that if we do get a proper class LB, it will really help Starfelt, feel he is being exposed way too much.
    He does have attributes, his reading of the game has improved, seems to have maned up also.

11. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Really? If you read my first few posts in this thread, I thought he was a dud. But since the first month or two when he was shaky, he’s been fantastic.

Everybody keeps going on about not cutting it in Europe. It’s nonsense. Guys like Borna Barisic and James Tavernier - if we’re talking about ropey defenders - are playing in a Europa semi final. Wouldn’t have a single centre half from the huns over Starfelt, either.

If the team is set up correctly and given appropriate protection from the midfield, our two CB’s at the moment are more than good enough.

Charlie Mulgrew is not better than him ffs. Neither is Benkovic who can’t get a game anywhere he goes now.

We could do better aye. We could do better pretty much everywhere in the team. But replacing Starfelt is nowhere near a priority this summer. Other areas of the team to address first.

12. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Benkovic is nowhere near as good as Starfelt :56:

By far the most overrated player we've had in recent history.

13. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    His heading has really improved over the course of the season. Becoming really dominant.

On course for 48 appearances this season. Been a fantastic debut campaign overall and I'm glad he's proved me wrong. Hopefully just gets better.

First and foremost he's a very solid defender.

King of Kings and TheHappyLoss like this.
  14. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    He has a few shaky moments in possession but he is actually very good positionally.

15. Rossenspeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beram Kayal
    He's absolutely awful.

Looks terrified of the ball, can't jump or pass and has zero positional sense.

He seems like a decent, honest, hard-working guy. He puts himself about and gives everything, but deep down in your conscience you always have that niggling wee voice telling you he's just a bit *.

If we are serious about the champions league, he's the first to be replaced.

Ask yourself if you'd trust him against Mpabbe or Salah?

john2061 likes this.
  16. john2061

Totally agree thought he was at fault for the goal yesterday caught on the wrong side of Simms and his passing still a bit poor and we need upgrades on him and Taylor in the summer .

17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Mbappe and Salah at their best could run any defence ragged so that's a bit of an over the top example.

The stats back up the opinion that he's performed very well this year. What player doesn't make mistakes?

18. Rossenspeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beram Kayal
    Stats all good and well mate, I go on what I see.

Extreme examples admittedly, but I saw Kevin Nisbet run him ragged at the league cup final, not exactly a lofty opponent.

19. Captain Brown Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Interesting...

How many times you seen him and CCV, when playing together, lose a game?

20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Well then you've seen all the good performances too then. Especially in the second half of the season, he's been a key performer in several games.