1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Where do we improve?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Liam Scales, Apr 22, 2022.

Discuss Where do we improve? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    McCarthy will be the toughest..

Ajeti will move on I'm sure of it. Wil have interest in his homeland, Turkey or somewhere where the pace of the game will suit his slowness more. Again an ex goalscorer, title winner and International who West Ham paid big money for..

Boli will go. Did well in Austria. Did ok in Turkey for a top team that beat United in the champions league and had shown spells of form here..

Soro was close to a move to New York. He has attributes that will suit someone and won't be on a big wage..

Barkas was a Greece International, title winner with champions league experience. He's a dud with a hoaching attitude but will be moved on..

Ange won't suffer a summer with all of these here. Plenty are goners..

martin_d likes this.
  2. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I want us to have more staff. That can improve our performances dramatically. A set piece coach, also a defense one.

As for players, I guess Ange needs a LB, because he doesn't fancy Scales.

Wee Baldy and martin_d like this.
  3. aussiehoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    Sell:
    Barkas, Bain, Bolingoli, Jullien, Soro, Ajeti, Forrest.

Loan:
    Montgomery, Murray, Shaw, Johnston, Dawson.

Buy:
    Siegrist, First Team LB, CCV (permanent) 3rd choice CB to push CCV and Starfelt, Jota (permanent) and Solbakken

Squad:
    GK - Hart, Siegrist, Hazard
    LB - New Signing, Taylor, Scales
    CB - CCV, Starfelt, New Signing, Welsh, Bitton
    RB - Juranovic, Ralston, Urhoghide
    CDM - CalMac, Bitton, Ideguchi
    LCM - Hatate, Turnbull
    RCM - Rogic, O’Riley
    LW - Jota, Maeda, ???
    ST - Kyogo, GG, Kenny
    RW - Abada, Solbakken, Dembele

4. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Wish I was as confident as everyone else when it comes to moving the deadwood on :giggle1:

Dan Breen and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  5. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It's not the deadwood that's the only issue. It's the trend of our board that's fairly consistent. Any manager gets most of the money in his first transfer window. Subsequent ones see a dramatic drop in spending regardless of success. Also, we have to first buy Jota and CCV. If we do, I can't see many signings on top of them.

6. Pearse67*

Buy

a lb
    A cb
    A defensive mid
    A winger

Sign jota
    Sign ccv

Plenty to be moved on also.

7. totti-88

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,let the people sing
    Would add Hazard to your sell list aswell even seeing him as 3rd choice gives me the * fear.

8. john2061

Number 2 keeper
    Left back
    Centre half
    Number 6 midfielder
    Right winger
    Number one striker if we are ambitious with kyogo and GG as back up .

martin_d likes this.
  9. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Left back would improve us immensely.

A big * off fast wanyama would solidify us to stop the 7-0 pumpings. Although it's an ange team so it'll be a 7-4 pumping after being 4 up... :fear:

Then whatever special talent becomes available thatll shock us after thinking its not needed.

martin_d likes this.
  10. oh bhoy

a big bag of performance enhancing drugs for everyone ,get kyogo looking like the incredible hulk in no time

Wee Baldy likes this.
  11. celtic warrior

I'm running on assumption guys like Jota and CCV stay on.

With that, I wouldn't say there is much that needs doing to improve on field results, we certainly don't need to be going out and doing another summer signing frenzy when Ange first came in.

I do believe 3 players who could arguably be first 11 starters is what we need...obviously at left back. Then DM, then probably RW to help rotate with Abada.

A LB and DM are two positions I feel would really unlock another level to Anges style. McGregor can take up the role of Rogic, he absolutely is more suited to that, then the role of Brown. A DM who is in the mold of Kante type, doesn't have to be a beast like Wanyama, just needs to know where to put himself and win the ball, break up play and also help start attacks from deep when playing out the back.

Get those two right and I think we could see massive things under Ange.

martin_d and ardis1967 like this.
  12. ardis1967

GK - Hart should continue as our no1 (ok he's not great on the ball but he keeps the ball out the net)
    GK - Bain can continue as back up I'm not really that fussed
    GK - Hazard? Depending on how his loan spell goes maybe he can be the back up moving forward
    GK - Barkas - Sell
    GK - Doohan - Sell
    GK - Oluwayemi - depending on age he should continue in B team - if he's too old then maybe a loan deal similar to Doohan's?

RB - Jura (class act)
    RB - Ralston - he deserves another shot next year and he's fine as a back up however if he continues this form he's on lately we need more quality
    RB/CB - Urhoghide - I was impressed with his performance against Betis and as far as I'm aware he's been ok on his loan spell? Most probably won't make it here though so sell

LB - Taylor - Fine as a back up - we need more of Juranovic quality on our left side though
    LB - Scales - Loan/Sell - maybe a loan deal just to see where he's at next season
    LB - Boli - sell

CB - CCV - must sign him!
    CB - Starfelt - been very impressed
    CB - Julien - Sell
    CB - Welsh - I think Welsh is fine as a 4th choice CB - depending on who we bring in a loan spell might benefit him more though
    CB - Lawal - Been very impressive for B side - maybe look at moving him up into first team next year or loan him
    CB - Murray - again if he can continue to play for B side then do it but maybe a loan deal will suit at a championship side

CDM - McGregor - Captain - we need to bring in an enforcer in the CDM role in my opinion and move Calmac up for the tougher games - he's fine there against lower opposition
    CDM - Bitton - Utility players are handy but I think his time at Celtic should come to an end - only sell if anyone is interested though
    CDM - McCarthy - Sell
    CDM - Soro - Sell
    Ideguchi - Deserves a pre season and a chance next year (back up)

CM - Hatate - interested to see how he performs next year with a full pre season - could shine
    CM - Turnbull - keep
    CM - O'Riley - Keep
    CM - Rogic - Keep
    CM - Henderson - always liked both of Henderson's but he will be moved on
    CM - Shaw - again was impressive v Betis but can't get a game at Motherwell so will never make it here - Sell
    (not sure if any of the B team CM's are ready to make the step up)

LW - Jota - Must sign!
    LW- Johnston - Loan deal or sell
    LW - Maeda - will be key next year

RW - Abada - stats speak for themselves - young player who dips in and out of form but his goal's assists have been crucial
    RW - Forrest - unfortunately his time at Celtic is done
    RW - Dembele? Interested to hear people's thoughts on him? Maybe a loan deal just to see how he gets on with regular game time

ST - Kyogo - don't need to put anything about him we all know what he's capable of
    ST - Gio - Been very impressed with him
    ST - Ajeti - Sell
    ST - Couple of B team forwards are good enough to be 3rd choice ST if needed IMO

Probably missed a few players out but in summary I think we defo need a first choice LB, Strong CDM and a ball playing CB (ajer mould maybe) and another winger

other than that I'm fairly comfortable with the squad

Last edited: May 5, 2022
  13. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    The only part I don't agree with from that list would be keeper situation. Bain and Hazzard just aren't good enough and we would be really in the * if Hart got injured at any time and had to rely on either of them. We need better

martin_d likes this.
  14. apevrak

Our 25 man CL squad needs four homegrown and four from the Scottish league system.

As of now these are our homegrown that could do a job in the first team:

Forrest, CalMac, Welsh, Johnston, Ralston

Our Scottish FA produced players:

Turnbull, Taylor, Bain, McCarthy

Out of the nine mentioned I think only one of them can leave without us going in to the group stage with a light squad. McCarthy is probably the one that stands out. He's down the pecking order and won't see much game time in the coming season.

Johnston is another one we could possibly sell. I like the guy and want him to succeed, but he's injury prone and his development might've been hampered.

The rest have to stay unless there is someone from the academy who looks ready to take the step up to the first team.

15. celtic warrior

Does it have to be 8 players or can it not be 4 players as guys like McGregor, Forrest, Johnstone and Ralston all cover both criteria?

If understanding right as well, wouldn't some of the younger homegrown lads not necessarily need registering?

martin_d likes this.
  16. ardis1967

yeah that's fair, just trying to find a decent GK who's willing to be No 2. Obviously the one that stands out is Siegrist but would he be willing to be no 2?

Wee Baldy likes this.
  17. celtic warrior

Hart has been amazing for us...but I suppose it wouldn't be worst thing in the world if we could find a relatively young GK with some promise and explain to both guys the aim will be to bleed him over time.

Let him have for example domestic cup games perhaps, see how he gets on there...and if form dictates allow him time in league matches.

18. G40B

We desperately need a physical CDM that can pass the ball.

I don’t believe the talk that Ange doesn’t want one. He’s too good a manager to not see how exposed the current midfield would be in Europe, without a bit of steel behind it.

ArturBorucCSC and martin_d like this.
  19. apevrak

Of a 25 man squad (List A), 8 have to be products of clubs within their respective FA's, 4 out of the 8 needs to be products of their own club. U21's who've been at least two seasons with the club are registered in the List B, there's no cap on how many players registered on that list as long as they meet the criterias.

CalMac, Forrest, Johnston, Ralston and Welsh will fall under both categories.

20. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

Own Club - Ralston, Welsh, McGregor, Forrest, Johnston
    Own FA - Bain, Taylor, Turnbull
    Unlimited U21s - Oluwayemi, Murray, Lawal, Dembele

Kenny doesn't fit in any category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk