1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC manager Ange Postecoglou has voiced his appreciation after the Parkhead support took a “leap of faith” in backing him in the tumultuous early weeks of his tenure.

A Champions League exit at the earliest hurdle was followed by three league defeats and a draw across the first seven games of the campaign, a run of form that saw Celtic’s sit on a wing and a prayer after shipping 11 points from a possible 21.

A win over Rangers this afternoon would crystalise the turnaround with the three points confirming the Cinch Premiership title in all but name; going into the final four games of the season Celtic currently boast a six-point lead and a goal difference that is superior to Rangers by 19.

The support has been behind the team all year,” said the Greek-Australian. “They have really had a leap of faith with this team and backed it form the start when maybe it wasn’t quite so evident that we could be successful this year.

“They know we are in the final stretch and I’m sure they will want to make Sunday as much of an electric atmosphere as they can. They will try to help the team along and our role is to try and reciprocate by putting on a performance that reflects the support we have had all year.”

One of Celtic’s best performances of this season came the night they put themselves on top of the league for the first time in the campaign. The pulsating February win over Rangers was played at a whirlwind with Celtic spooking the Ibrox side with the manner in which they streamrolled over the top of them.

It put Celtic in control of their own destiny after going into the winter break six points adrift of Giovanni van Bronckhorst’s side. This afternoon is the third meeting between the teams in the past month with Celtic winning at Ibrox and losing at Hampden in the Scottish Cup semi-final.

Day or night I don’t think it matters. It’s going to be a cracking atmosphere,” said Postecoglou. “With this team there have been other games where we have played better for longer spells.

But on that particular night for 45 minutes we showed against a very good opponent how we can play. And that was pleasing for me because it gave us encouragement to push on.

“It showed that this group was willing to embrace the challenge of playing our football in the toughest of tests.

“It was our chance to go to top spot for the first time all year. After working awfully hard and chasing all season we knew the significance of that. Irrespective of the atmosphere we knew how much it meant and you build yourself up for that.

“You wait and see what the reaction is from the players but the whole group was fantastic even though many of them were experiencing that derby for the first time.

“Boys like [Matt] O’Riley, [Reo] Hatate and [Daizen] Maeda, for those kind of guys to stand up on a night like that and for the whole group to put on a performance knowing it was going to be so significant in terms of the league was pretty special.”

Rangers have made a name for themselves this term with their Europa League that has taken them to the semi-finals of the tournament.

The adopted a conservative approach for Thursday night’s first-leg against Leipzig with the Bundesliga side taking a 1-0 lead to Ibrox for the return. It remains to be seen how they approach Sunday’s game – and if Celtic go for the jugular as they did when the last hosted Rangers.

On Thursday they had a very different objective,” observed Postecoglou. “On Sunday they have to beat us so I guess from our perspective we just have to prepare ourselves to play the football we can and make sure that we get as dominant as we can early in the game which is something we have done all year at Celtic Park.

“We want to put them on the back foot and capitalise on those moments where we have the advantage. We understand that the games are running out and that every game we win between now and the end of the year gets us closer to our goal.

“There’s no doubt a win on Sunday gets us closer. There’s no shying away from that. But that was the case last week too. If we didn’t get three points against Ross County the margin would have been narrowed and there would be a different context around this game.

“Our job is to make sure we play as well as we possibly can and if we do that then it gives us a good chance of success.

“If we have success then we move a step closer to where we want to be.”

2. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    I want Ange to stay at Celtic for at least the next 3 years.

The club needs to offer Ange a minimum 3 year contract ASAP and before the end of this season.

If not, I see Leeds Utd and Everton making him an offer that he will seriously need to consider.

cfcturbo and greengrocer like this.
  3. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

If it were me in charge, I'd have offered a 5 year contract to him in the bogs at Hampden in the League Cup Final.

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

5. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

A lot of work to be done should we wrap up the league as expected.

We’ll get ploughed repeatedly in the Champions League if we play like that.

scuzzy, martin_d and The Phoenix like this.
  6. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Massive summer coming.

Few areas in the team simply aren’t up to scratch. Left back being the main one. Taylor is * hopeless

The Phoenix likes this.
  7. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    If he’s as ruthless as everyone says I’m expecting a high turnover of players again in the summer.

Won’t be anywhere near last summer obviously but so many of this team aren’t anywhere near it and there’s some who’ll wipe the floor with the dross in this league but not good enough for Europe.

Been a remarkable job he’s done. Basically impossible everything considered. He’s got absolutely everything he could out of this squad and we’ve done enough to get it over the line.

Need to step it up again this summer.

The Phoenix likes this.
  8. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Need a CDM thats good enough to start every game

Need a LB in the mould of Jura

Depth in CB

I’d like another striker

Solbakken even if we sign Jota

Keeper that can play Ange ball

9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Baffling to play Kyogo upfront when he knew they'd press high and we'd have to go long.

Tons of work still do. A dominant, physical DM should be a priority signing.

martin_d likes this.
  10. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

6 pts clear, with 3 to play...

Let that sink in..

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Still unbeaten in the league since September :cool:

13. celtic warrior

I'm being a spoilt *, I know that....but today really feels like a loss.

Don't think there will ever be a season again in the next 20 years where we could see Celtic winning the league at home against these dirty *, maybe I put too much hope into today.

But Ange has worked wonders on the utter * shitshow this club was when came in both on field and off field.

I can only hope that with a full season behind him and board that continue to invest fully into the squad and not be * and downsize each year...he could achieve great things with Celtic.

CelticBoabie likes this.
  14. CelticBoabie

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King
    7 months ago we would not believe that we could have one trophy in the bag and touching distance to winning the league.

JC Anton likes this.
  15. stew37

https//youtu.be/WAifgn2Cvo8

16. stew37

Ange Postecogluuuuuuuuuu

17. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    To be on the verge of winning the league in his first season in charge, after the mess he inherited from last season, is incredible

As many have said though, we're going to need to see an even more ruthless Ange this Summer if we're to go into Europe next season and not embarrass ourselves

martin_d and The Phoenix like this.
  18. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    If he were willing to allow for a Maeda-like technical inability at DM, then a proper destroyer could well happen. But no. McGregor is starting at DM, almost every time. He really wants a playmaker there, sadly. Bitton is here to stay, precisely because of his technical ability.

George Theodorou likes this.
  19. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    It's much easier to say this in hindsight, but he made a mistake not starting Giakoumakis imo.

The last 2 games we've started GIakoumakis in, he's bullied their defence, helps us bring the ball up the pitch and wins us fouls. Kyogo is still recovering from his injury obviously, but that's 2 and a half games where he hasn't been great against them.

20. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

IMO it should be 'horses for courses'.

Against deep-lying domestic teams where we are unlikely to be physically pressed then McGregor might be best suited. But in Europe and against the huns I think we need a more physical option. Not necessarily just a thug, we need technical ability to match with the physical profile.

George Theodorou, martin_d and AdamRS like this.