1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Karamoko Dembele!!

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by DEADEYECFC, May 29, 2016.

Discuss Karamoko Dembele!! in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Never knew they done that to be fair.

2. The Man In Black Gold Member Gold Member

If he does sign/gets offered a new contract (and it's a big if) then he needs loaned to another premiership team with guarantees of game time. He'll be forced to work on the defensive side of his game and hopefully then he'll be ready to come back and challenge for a place in the team.

Jacob knows likes this.
  3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I was thinking it was because we needed a back up left winger for a while, so was just seeing if that could work.

* shout that as well, cos he’s definitely an inverted left sided winger.

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

https://www.thesportsman.com/articl...ucial-if-he-s-to-deliver-on-his-early-promise

Such is the desire to identify and acclaim tomorrow’s superstars; budding professionals are being lauded and rewarded for potential rather than accomplishments.

The influence of social media and the popularity of football management video games have increased the profile of the next generation of young hopefuls - and glossy highlight reels have ushered in an era where hype often trumps substance.

Karamoko Dembele, at 19-years-old, is already an established veteran in the social media world. His talent was identified and known at a tender age, and his development has been chronicled on YouTube. The Celtic starlet is an online sensation, and compilation videos of his jinking runs have racked up millions of views.

The diminutive winger made his top team debut at the age of sixteen - and his progression into the senior ranks was handled with military precision. Three years have passed since his first outing in green and white though, and he is yet to start a match for his boyhood club.

Dembele has made just eight further appearances from the bench since receiving a rapturous reception from the Parkhead faithful on his debut - a wholesome welcome usually saved for legendary figures. Strained relations with Neil Lennon and injury issues curtailed his pitch-time in recent campaigns, but he has remained on the fringes under Ange Postecoglou.

A fractured ankle in pre-season, not helped by complications, damaged the teenager’s hopes of cementing a starting place under Postecoglou. Despite being enthused by the youngster, the Australian has been reluctant to utilise the Englishman’s services.

Postecoglou has repeatedly stressed throughout his tenure that he only wants players committed to the cause in his dressing-room. Dembele’s contract is due to expire at the end of the current season, and his most recent appearance was, perhaps unsurprisingly, in less salubrious surroundings than Celtic Park.

Dembele started for Celtic B in a penalty shootout defeat to Rangers in the Glasgow Cup earlier this week. For the majority of the game, he was on the periphery, isolated on the right flank, yet his speed, quick feet and dribbling became a factor in the closing stages.

As it stands, Dembele will exit Celtic in the summer. His next destination remains unknown, but he will not be short of suitors. Premier League clubs will likely attempt to seduce him, but he should avoid development leagues and seek first-team opportunities.

Karamoko’s brother, Siriki, should be a source of inspiration. His older sibling encountered setbacks early in his career, but he earned his stripes in the lower leagues and is now on the brink of the Premier League with Bournemouth. As Siriki has demonstrated, sometimes it is necessary to take a step back before advancing again - and Karamoko will hopefully consider the big picture when contemplating his next move.

Dembele, capped at youth level for England and Scotland, has reportedly held talks with Ivory Coast regarding his international options. Recent setbacks have not dampened the intrigue and fascination surrounding the much-discussed teenager, but his short-term future is of a greater concern.

Dembele has shown fleeting glimpses of his skillset in cameo appearances for Celtic, yet it remains unclear if he can handle the physical demands of first-team football. He has time on his side, but his progress has undoubtedly stalled in the last 18 months.

The list of players that have failed to deliver on early promise is lengthy - and Dembele has to ensure he doesn’t join the tale of woe. The winger, indulged throughout his short career, also has to demonstrate his desire to succeed hasn’t been compromised by too much too soon.

5. Lewis Kerr

If he were to leave, where would he realistically go? The championship down in England? A mid-table German or French team? Will he really have that many suitors based off a few YouTube videos from 7 years ago and some Nike sponsorships?

For whatever reason he's definitely not lived up to the promise he had as a kid. The guy is cutting about the B team playing universities at 19 still. Not writing him off, but you'd think he would have got a bit more of a look in under Ange.

6. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He’d have had 20 games under his belt this season but for the injury he sustained in preseason. Just bad luck, nothing more sinister.

Peej likes this.
  7. Dip 'n' Swerve

The Talent Trap

Failure is a problem in sport, but sometimes success can be a problem, too. Few boys today get adequate male attention. If a boy shows promise in football or other sports then adults suddenly begin to take an interest in him! His father/guardian or coach showers him with praise. He begins to move up the sporting ladder. The men are getting a vehicle for their dreams; the boy is getting the approval he craves. But what if the boy injures himself? What if he reaches his natural limitations, or he over trains? The approval falls away; the older men show their disappointment. Community praise turns to rejection. Thousands of young lives have been destroyed or set back in this way. The more talented a child is, the more important it is that parents guard against 'sports abuse' - using children's sporting success for * gratification.

Biddulph, 1998 - an extract from 'Raising boys'

So many of these at every club - the % window for success is so small. In the modern world now 2022 the use of instagram twitter facebook watspp etc it exposes players so much.

As a coach / scout myself it is always about the player (who can be influenced by family, friends, agents etc) it is always the 3 A's and will always be the 3 A's. Ability, attitude and application to apply. We all knows friends at teenage years who had more 'ability' than professional players it was their bad attitude or failure to apply which resulted in them not progressing (which when we speak to them in the early 20s in a pub they speak with regret - 'what if i had listened etc'.

In terms of the professional game for most young academy players, it is the 3rd professional contract that makes a career in the game, not all are lucky like Doak who can be set for life. Local lads in glasgow can avail of living at home with parents or family etc, kids coming from cork, dublin, derry, belfast..sydney, porto etc all move away from family and friends to carve out a career in a new city and a young age. There is no crystal ball as to how each person can react during the academy environment or the outside academy environment (online gambling in academy players is rife it can all be done from the bedroom) , parties, nightclubs, honey traps etc..

I guess no one knows at the min what the future holds for dembele but having seen him excel at the foyle cup and hibernia trophy i would have paid to see him then and would do so know, I just hope the lad reaches his potential whilst keeping a hard working ethic and if there is any blood suckers he can shake them off. It is great seeing a young lad with bags of potential reach his dreams whether it be at celtic or any other club.

The change in managers and coaches in a club can halt a players pathway, does celtic had a good player pathway, does playing a small number of games in a 'B' team halt development - so many variables to discuss over a proper chat, quiet pint or debate etc

marty89 likes this.
  8. Dip 'n' Swerve

it is like a lad signing with an 'agent' seeking a club, they get a pair of boots for free and think they are on cloud 9, even before that when a lad goes on trial to a club, often the first response from the parent is ' what did the club give you after a weekend /or week long trial - did you get any boots or free club gear, 'No' - * that you arent going back to that club etc.

For a club and player to connect it needs to be a relationship - the club and player need to feel the connection for the best environment to thrive, prosper and a clear pathway of development. I think this is something the club need to address - i really like the idea of a European u19 youth competition - it may cost money but for 10-15 games a season players can play against european counterparts - norway, sweden, holland, denmark, england, poland etc - similar to CL youth games played the day or afternoon before CL games.

Perhaps the club can appoint someone to look after outgoing loans, assess the loans, regular feedback to the player and first team manager etc... look at luca connell he is out on loan, is he being ready and primed for the team or does the lad feel like he is in a wilderness, the club as an employer has a duty to handle the players with care and not impact their mental health especially those moving from late teenage years into young men.

9. Dip 'n' Swerve

ive seen kids from Ireland sign for liverpool, man utd etc and they have been wanted by 5-10 other clubs, often the parents tell the kid where to go, they see the big dollars and a week or month after they sign the club sign a player of the same age and position from another country for silly money .. 'u16 Norwegian centre half signs or man utd for 350k etc' - what is the irish kid at 16 meant to think - carving it out in football can be cruel.

With Doak, nothing is stopping Liverpool signing an u16 spanish winger this summer for 800k to compete with Doak, the club's dont care at all.

Celtic signed Ajer at u17 for a fee, i am sure there was u17 players at the time at the club from age 10 expected to go onto great things and all of a sudden their confidence was shot etc.. Eoghan O'Connell / Jamie Mc Cart etc.

The fact is a club is a business thesedays and if something better comes along others often get thrown on the scap heap - it is ruthless for players and those employed in clubs in can all change in a matter of weeks etc.

10. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
  11. DdoubleD

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Its a shame but as people said in the comments on twitter if we are comparing him to Abada who is a year older he is no where near good enough.. I feel like if he didn't get injured in the pre season the situation right now would be a bit different..

saltire78 likes this.
  12. celtic warrior

Disappointing if it happens, generally speaking I just hate seeing youth players leaving the club as they just don't seem to be able to kick on from their high levels at youth level.

For whatever reason it just doesn't seem like it is going to work for him here.

13. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I liked him. I wanted to see more of him. I won't be upset though, good luck.

14. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Seems likely that he will be off on a free elsewhere this summer. Obviously a player who has potential but I have to say for me personally I am not so high on him as others are. Time will tell but it looks like one way or another he will not be at Celtic next season.

Dublin Celt and TheHappyLoss like this.
  15. TheHappyLoss

Alan Partridge shrug. Myth, Emperor’s new clothes. A tiny wee guy that someone once mused was going to be special.

16. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    If he left when he was 16, I would have been more disappointed, but at 19 he's hardly been seen. Surprised at that really but obviously not pushed on as we had hoped or there's an attitude issue.

17. stew37

Out of all the players on the edge of the squad, he's the main one I'd keep. Don't think he's had enough of a shot, unsure what the reason for that is, suppose Ange has his reasons so I'll trust his decision making.

I do think he'll go on to a decent level if he's moved on though!

Spring Time likes this.
  18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Good youth player with potential but who really cares..

Mince.Charming likes this.
  19. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Shame this has happened, you would think giving him at least a 1 year deal would have been good enough.

Clearly something is going on behind the scenes for the club not to offer him a new deal.

20. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I was under the impression we did, he chose not to sign it