1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Roy Keane

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Lennons_Ghirl, Sep 29, 2005.

Discuss Roy Keane in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    No * way, that’s just being an absolute scumbag

littlekennie likes this.
  2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

3. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    Keanes got the marmite factor !

4. Maestro 08

Aye marmite on *. He speaks his mind & says what he wants seems to be what people praise him for. Well in my experience they are the biggest arseholes goin. For Keane see dobbers like Piers Morgan. Lots of opinions, say what they want but total * that no one likes.

littlekennie likes this.
  5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

6. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    He's a fake hard man. Can't stand him.

littlekennie likes this.
  7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

ROY KEANE wants to become Hibs’ next boss.

SunSport understands the 50-year-old’s representatives have made contact with Easter Road chiefs to confirm his interest.

The former Manchester United and Celtic hero hasn’t worked in top-level management since being sacked as Ipswich Town boss in January 2011.

But he is ready to leave his TV pundit duties behind to replace ex-Hoops team-mate Shaun Maloney.

Hibs owner Ron Gordon has said he’s likely to go with a more experienced gaffer after rookie Maloney lasted only 120 days.

Keane, who bossed Sunderland to the Premiership in 2007, has been assistant to Martin O’Neill with the Republic of Ireland and Nottingham Forest, and was Paul Lambert’s No2 at Aston Villa.

He was also interviewed for the vacant Sunderland job this year before talks broke down and Alex Neil was given the gig.

8. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    I see Hibs want a real relegation battle next season.

9. HenriksRightBoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Personally I can´t see what Hibs are playing at here.
    He´s been out of management for more than ten years, and before that, his career wasn´t very impressive.

He´s a very antagonistic personality, loves a confrontation. Will end in tears, and sooner rather than later.

scuzzy likes this.
  10. TheHappyLoss

Absolutely love the guy. Hope he gets the Hibs job, will likely end in disaster but he’ll be entertaining and will be a two pronged attack with our Ange on our hun loving media.

honda likes this.
  11. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Was on my flight back from Seville in 2003 and he couldn’t have been more friendlier, posing for photos and having a joke and a laugh with everyone, was night and day from way he comes across on the tv

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

HE'S a no nonsense pundit who doesn't mince his words.

And he was similar as a player too. Certainly at Manchester United.

But though Roy Keane admits he didn't 'kick a ball' at Celtic, he still LOVED his time representing his boyhood heroes.

Though he typically didn't mince his words over some of his SPFL team-mates too.

Midfield hardman Keane pitched up at Parkhead on a free transfer after being released by Manchester United in 2005.

His outspoken views had fallen foul of Sir Alex Ferguson and an injury-plagued final year at Old Trafford saw the Red Devils' captain's 12-year spell draw to a close.

He squeezed in six months with Celticbefore finally hanging up his bootspermanently in summer 2006 - and he's glad he did.

He explained: "I spoke to Everton, Bolton and a couple of other teams.

"Everton would’ve been a good move at the time – the location, and I had huge respect for David Moyes – but I felt I couldn’t go to another English team.”

Instead he headed to Celtic where the training set-up was a come-down from his experiences at Carrington

But being around a dressing room again was important to the veteran with 67 Irish caps to his name - despite the presence of "one or two idiots".

Speaking on ex-team-mate Gary Neville's podcast 'Stick To Football' with Skybet he revealed: "I went to Celtic, an iconic and amazing club.

"The stadium is amazing, but I hadn’t really seen the training ground. I’m going back a few years – they have a good one now.

"I was in the dressing room with Celtic – we got changed at Celtic Park and drove to the ground in our boots and gear.

I didn’t kick a ball at Celtic – I was injured all the time.

"What I did enjoy – for all my comfort zone at Manchester United, and I loved every minute of my time at United – was that it was good to be in another dressing room for six months.

"The Celtic lads, there were one or two idiots but generally speaking, they are great lads. I mixed with different lads, different dynamics, and I really enjoyed my time at Celtic.”

He lifted the League Cup and league title alongside Strachan's experienced team with the likes of Dion Dublin, Neil Lennon and Stan Varga supplementing a squad that also included ArthurBoruc, Stan Petrov and Shunsuke Nakamura.

He also revealed one of then boss Gordon Strachan's startling admissions - and had respect for it too.

Keane added: "Celtic and Gordon had a bit of success, but he said he backed away from all transfers. He went, ‘I've bought too many bad players’.

"Gordon held his hand up and said, ‘I'm not good at spotting players and bringing players in’. He'd obviously had some success in terms bringing players in when he was at Coventry, but he got to the stage where he went, ‘I'm backing away from all [transfers]’.

"I'm sure he had some sort of conversations but didn't get involved and that's an experienced manager.

Rydo1888* likes this.