1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Daizen Maeda

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Dec 31, 2021.

Discuss Daizen Maeda in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Northerner Ave Maria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Didn't want to see it again but here it is

Tavernier all that way forward, instead of Maeda chasing back surely our LB should be coming for that so maeda is available for the counter.

bagforlife and James Mc like this.
  2. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Played OK up to a point. Like Hatate, I cannot accept players weakly pulling out of tackles. Especially in a game like this.

3. Al Bootyerbaws

I said this in February, I stand by it. There was worse * the day and I cannot fault the guy for effort but he just runs about like a jack russell. Kenny Miller basically done the same job for us and no * liked him so whats the difference?

4. wulliebad

Runs about like a headless chicken trying to close down the whole rangers defence. All that energy is great when there is end product but there was nothing today. Might be a great player for us somewhere in the team but i would not use him as a striker if we have other options.

5. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Not a striker

Hammy89 likes this.
  6. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

His energy is incredible and his pressing is relentless. I do think he lacks quality on the ball at times, but as a pressing/counter-attacking weapon he is a massive asset.
    With him and (a fully fit) Kyogo in that front 3, teams will really struggle to play out from the back and get any time on the ball. The number of times he caught their CBs/keeper alone was frightening, with a bit of extra luck/quality we might have capitalised on one of those scenarios.

7. murphy88

Just a pity that the players around him didn’t have the same energy yesterday. His pressing was brilliant, but doing it himself made it easy for them to play around him. I much prefer him as a winger, but given Giakoumakis was out and Kyogo is only just coming back, I wasn’t surprised to see him up top.

8. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

It's weird that the opinion is that he isn't a striker, not that I'm disagreeing, but im fairly sure he isn't a winger either. He has almost zero composure and his control, crossing and passing are pretty poor

His only strong strong point, apart from running around a lot, appears to be getting scrappy poachers goals around the six yard box.

Maybe he could be used as a Dm , but then again his tackling doesn't look great either.

It's a puzzler. Have to say i'm not sold, at all.

9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He’s not an out and out striker agreed but he can play up top not a problem at all.

Knee * opinions on a guy that has been excellent for weeks - he had the * up Goldson and their keeper umpteen times and it’s not his fault we didn’t capitalise on the mistakes his work rate caused.

Blochairnbhoy and Northerner like this.
  10. Forza 67

I wasn't sold on our shape out of possession, Maeda was left very isolated in the press and I find it incredibly harsh to criticize him, he's not the reason Celtic lost yesterday. If I'm not mistaken he was also in a great position to score in the first half and Jota completely wasted the opportunity.

craigtheceltic likes this.
  11. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    He tries his hardest can’t fault the guy he’s just not a up top man by himself he’s is a very good support man though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

That left footed cross that went about 50 yards high and wide. Jesus christ.

His pressing is fantastic and he must be a nightmare to play against, but he really needs to improve on the ball.

Hammy89 likes this.
  13. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    He was a shitebag yesterday.

Pulled out of umpteen tackles.

Dont think the guy is built for "fitba"

14. themouth1888

Maeda work rate is phenomenal and he does a job in certain types of games but he's not the answer. Well worth signing at the cost and great squad player.

15. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Jota ignored him a couple of times where a squared ball would have resulted in a big chance of a goal. Someone else ignored him also(can’t remember who) but he was sitting there ready for a cut back and was unmarked. If your own teammates ignore you because they are too busy trying the low percentage selfish route, what can you do?

On his defensive side, he definitely got isolated and missed GG. Jota and Abada were off the pace pressing and were always leaving an out ball.

16. HenriksRightBoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    His pressing is fantastic, but there really is not much else.

First touch mostly poor. Very rarely puts himself in a goalscoring position.

Shying away from tackles is unforgivable. Gave that lot extra energy as well, seeing he could be bullied, which in itself is not acceptable.

Not Celtic class, not even near. Ange got this one wrong.

17. jamiebhoy67

I hate it when we get beat look at the state of these comments honestly

craigtheceltic and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  18. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

One of the most fickle fanbases on the entire planet.

Look at this thread the last few weeks, then now.

I’m not saying any opinions are right or wrong, they are all justified. But it’s literally seesawing week to week.

19. Orsenfelt

I'd like to see him played in midfield tbh, at least in games we won't have a lot of the ball.

He's not got a lot of quality on the ball but Rangers gave themselves a man advantage in midfield by having Bassey come out tight to Rogic.

No way they do that if Maeda is a willing runner in midfield with a striker ahead of him.

20. HenriksRightBoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I stand by my original opinion, which was / is that he is not good enough.