1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    From what I’ve seen of him, rather than Vill fans, I’d take him here in a heartbeat.

2. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    I personally think we have midfielders that are just as good if not better just now tbh. I do wish we had a Wanyama type of Midfielder though

Wee Baldy likes this.
  3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    He can play all the positions we’d want in midfield. When we still need to bring on guys like Bitton or McCarthy, for the £2m odd McGinn would have cost at the time I’d have snatched your hand off for it at the time.

James, Wee Baldy and George Theodorou like this.
  4. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    The McGinn stuff didn't hurt at first because I geniunely thought Christie was the better player those first two seasons when he broke through, but then Christie had a * season and left us, so it hurts a lot more.

Don't think McGinn is better than McGregor but he'd definitely have a role to play with us.

5. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    Earlier in the season as the Ange bus stuttered .. I panicked and got up to get off . A good friend on here PM'd me and implored me to stick with him as they were convinced he would come good . I'm so glad I sat back down , this is everything I want in Celtic .. Ange immortality awaits you !

6. murphy88

McGinn would easily play in our midfield. He has got a bit of everything to his game. A massive transfer blunder from Lawwell.

7. PaddyJamieson

Aye, don't get me wrong, there are still the bargains to be found (Toney another recent example we missed out on), but returning to this 'hoover up the best of the rest and EPL dropouts' model is madness imo. Thankfully Ange only seems to be buying from the UK when there are genuine bargains to be had, so we're in good hands.

8. Kiro Kompiro

Thanks for clearing that up at the end. For a second I thought he punched the boy.

9. James Gold Member Gold Member

Aye Mcginn would walk in to our team

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

11. AussieGreek

12. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

How good does it feel to have a proper coach and style of play!? Literally stats to back it up how much better we are now than under Lennon..

Wllm likes this.
  13. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    I can only imagine what this man is capable of when he has a season where the spine of a team needs to be replaced but has to play a few games with them while they wait for their exit, having to get every single replacement bang on, a CEO walking out after a few weeks in the job etc.

14. Benzene Gold Member Gold Member

I could be wrong but I recall reading a few articles near the start of his tenure basically saying we won’t see a real Ange side until his second season in charge.

Hammy89 likes this.
  15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Yep. That was the general consensus..

He usually takes 6 month's or so to gel his side's before really motoring..

We're starting to see the fruits of that particularly now. Next season we'll undoubtedly be better..

The Prof, Hammy89 and Benzene like this.
  16. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I've read that in loads of places. I think the difference here was he didn't need to get rid of loads of players before brining his own in. Brown, Eddie, Christie & Ajer where basically already gone, giving him money to spend straight away. He also didn't need to spend big money to get players for his system.

17. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    The attacking phases are coming together. Still work to be done on playing out from the back but Ange will get there. Full pre-season and another transfer window will be massive.

What if's but may well have effectively tied up the league by now if we had brought him in much earlier instead of chasing Howe for ages.

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

BRISTOL. Mid-July. A balmy summer’s evening was the backdrop as a cobbled together Celtic team played out a goalless draw in a friendly to open Bristol City’s new training ground.

At the time, it seemed as though the new Celtic manager, Ange Postecoglou, had an insurmountable task to shape his squad into something resembling a functioning unit, never mind one that could seriously challenge for the league title this season.

A host of wantaway players sat at the side of the pitch as a slew of youngsters took their place on the field. Two of those who did play, Mikey Johnston and Karamoko Dembele, picked up serious injuries which would curtail their seasons. From the brand spanking new pavilion, Celtic looked a serious work in progress, to put it charitably.

And yet, as newly-appointed captain Callum McGregor emerged from the changing room after the game, he had an unmistakable spring in his step. Even with the bare bones of a squad they had, he could see the path new manager Ange Postecoglou had already set them on, and was certain the football he was committed to playing would bring them success.

The only question was whether they could recruit and integrate the volume of quality players required to carry out his game-plan, a question that Postecoglou managed to address by the end of that summer window, and answer emphatically by the end of January.

Many managers have been called ‘The Special One’, but few since Jose Mourinho coined the phrase – to describe himself in typically modest fashion – have truly lived up to the moniker. It may be too early to bestow such a title upon Postecoglou in terms of what he has achieved at Celtic, though with the League Cup already tucked into the trophy cabinet and the Premiership and Scottish Cup still very much live possibilities, it may yet be one he earns.

Inside the club though, it was evident there may well be something brewing from the very first time Postecoglou opened his mouth. McGregor knew it even before that night in Bristol.

Reflecting on those early impressions of his new manager, McGregor was asked when he first thought Postecoglou might be able to achieve something special at the club.

“When we first met him,” McGregor replied.

“You could see his ideas and you could see what he was trying to do.

“He always spoke about wanting us to play a certain style. He wouldn’t change, and we had to adapt and get to that level very quickly.

“You could see it in him straight away that he was desperate to do well and he had the credentials to do well.

“When you get your recruitment spot on as well then that helps, because you’ve then got good players that can come in and play that style of football.

“From pretty early on in the season, maybe the Dundee game at home where we scored six and played pretty well that day, you could start to see the cogs coming together.

“All the way through, even when had little dips, you could still see that the structure was there and you could still see the idea was there.

“It’s been pretty positive right from day one.”

Results may not have been positive right from the outset, but they didn’t take long in catching up to the performances, with supporters lapping up the attacking brand of high-intensity football served up by their new manager.

McGregor has played in many Celtic teams before that have been easy on the eye, and he rates Postecoglou’s Celtic up there with any of them when it comes to the aesthetically pleasing nature of their football.

The level of football we’ve played has been very, very high, and certainly right up there with some of the most attractive football that we’ve played,” he said. “Certainly what I’ve played at this club as well.

“It just leaves us in a good place, and the beauty of it is that the manager is asking us if we can get even better, keep improving our football.

“He’s not going to let us rest on what we’ve achieved so far. We’re going to keep pushing and keep trying to get better.

“He says it all the time that every game is an opportunity to get even better and show even more.”

A concept that seemed a million miles away back in July was that of healthy competition for starting places in the Celtic starting XI, but the level of debate among fans on Postecoglou’s strongest team for the trip to Ibrox on Sunday is indicative of the strength in depth that is now at his disposal.

“When you speak to the manager that is the type of squad that he wants,” McGregor said.

“He wants competition for places, two or three players for every position that could start the game.

“When you make changes, you are bringing on guys of the same quality, if not even better.

“That’s the type of squad he wanted to build when he came in and credit to him, he’s did it in a really short space of time.

What that then does for the players is that it makes us super sharp, because we all know we have to play well to get in the team and that just drives the whole standard of the thing.

“We just keep going, keep working hard, and keep trying to get better.”

If they can do that, then perhaps a truly special season is in the offing after all.

tarboltontim likes this.
  19. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    We have needed a left back for a long time, we had Hickey, we gave him away, the player has thrived elsewhere, and now is worth an estimated 20 mill at left back playing for Bologna FC in Italy.

Who makes these decisions at the club ? Talented players stand out early and should stay at the club and be given a pathway to success at the club by playing and being in the squad.

20. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    You just know Ange will want nothing less than a win at Ibrox

NomDePlum likes this.