1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

1997/98 Season

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Mr Diggler, Mar 25, 2022.

Discuss 1997/98 Season in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

That you looking like you would rather be anywhere else but there? :giggle1:

All seater CSC. How very posh haha.

JML67 likes this.
  2. Jo-Jo-Buffon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk alone on a champs league night
    Exact same an early 80's child , 15 then aswell , was white lightning and Gold top merrydown though lol

3. Creativecelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current Team:Kyogo; Invincible Team: Brown; Seville Team: Larsson; Burns Team: McNamara
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Various
    Stopping the ten was a very stressful season, but the adulation when we did it was worth the stress. MON’s treble was very enjoyable and the start of our dominance.

4. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Yep, that's me :67:
    Not far from Peterborough but far from posh mate lol.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  5. leeso-ardoyne

I can vaugly remember this season. Although I do remember getting the centenary top and my da with his centenary tracksuit. I was at the Huns game although I can't remember watching it. Just remember being up the back of the Celtic end and it was a good day weather wise do must have been at the end of season. I was at the NY game aswell when we all sang happy birthday to Celtic. Did we play the Huns twice or more times thst season because if it was only twice, I must be getting mixed up with my thoughts because I do remember it was good weather although if we only played them once at parkhead, I was definitely at the NY game and I can't see that having good weather on that day. I still think I have my trip color Russian hat with the pony tail on it. Think there's another name for this hat but if there is, I forget what it's called but I do remember it being popular back then.

You mention about writing about it at some stage. I just remembered I've been thinking for awhile now to try and get a small book or even a video made up for all the young and old Celtic supporters from Ardoyne or even north Belfast to document the times following Celtic over the years. Some amazing and funny stories when you get chatting to all the old timers along with our own memories following Celtic.
    What inspired this was I recently seen a comment on Facebook from someone in there early 70s say about my great grandda in the Ardoyne memories page about my great grandda and him being a mad Celtic supporter and would've like to know more about back then. Everyone has there own stories to tell about the traveling, the friendship's made getting the tickets in your hand and probably some crazy stories thrown in aswell that would bring a laugh or two to anyone reading or watching it. Definitely something I'd like to see done and I'd say others would too to document them for the next generations. What the costs of this would be I wouldn't know where to start.

Great thread this one OP.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
    The Phoenix and Northerner like this.
  6. leeso-ardoyne

Class pic! The Seville run was something else!

JML67 likes this.
  7. Goggzy60

Out of the choices I went with MoN treble but my favourite is still Seville season almost winning a European trophy it still brings up emotions never felt since.

littlekennie and AdamRS like this.
  8. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Same it’s my best celtic memory and hopefully one that can be repeated

Goggzy60 likes this.
  9. Britwell bhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    97-98 for me . We were in a bad place they were going for ten and i think we didnt even finish 2nd 7 or 8 times in those years .
    So to win it after all the * we went through was magical to me and still is .

10. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

The Davey Crockett hat. :34:

leeso-ardoyne likes this.
  11. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Invincibles I think. Mainly cause I was only 7/8 when Mon won treble

Rydo1888* likes this.
  12. leeso-ardoyne

Thsts it. :60:

packybhoy likes this.
  13. Yoshi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Andreas Thom
    2003/04

14. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I am not one to sit on the fence usually but those are all great choices for most enjoyable season. I am not old enough for 1967 but all the others are right up there as my most enjoyable seasons watching Celtic ever. I really can't pick one clearly over the other. They all had something so special about them not just the titles that made them unique. I will though also throw in the 1986 title win and that special day at the old Love street as maybe worthy of mention as well. Certainly that is another season that would be up there for me.

15. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    2003/04 is a funny one for me. The team peaked but also the decline started setting in after the Barca tie. So i always find it a bit bittersweet

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  16. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    97-98 was 13 stressful as *
    00-01 was some achievement.

16-17 just for me because it will never be done again.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  17. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    The MON era was my favourite team of ours but I think for sheer enjoyment, the invincible season was probably my favourite. The whole atmosphere around the club was unreal. Maybe didn't appreciate the MON era enough at the time, because you didn't think we would fall so far away from that level though.

18. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The Invincible season just pips it for me. Going unbeaten in all domestic competitions special and set us up for another three seasons of trebles after that, which is insane when you think about it. 69 game unbeaten run too.

1998 was the first time I saw us win the league and I was vaguely aware of the importance of it at the time. But it was topped by O'Neill's team turning us into the dominant force in Scotland which I had never seen before. It was an absolute joy to be a fan of the club then.

I'm also very fond of when we won the league for Tommy, in 2008.

19. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    I’d say this season feels a lot like way people are describing 97/98 it’s enjoyable when we win especially that 3-0 against der hun but every game has been a nail biter in my memory closing my eyes praying whenever someone in our box or set plays

And it’s not down to Celtic being poor just the prize at the end financially is so crucial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    To go on beat Barca then get so unlucky against villareal under estimated them honestly believe to this day if we went through that tie went on to actual win the cup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk