1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for Celtic fans

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Melbourne Man, Mar 21, 2022.

Discuss Question for Celtic fans in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I think what would make the split slightly better… and I know that it might sound controversial but is to basically have a new start. The split should be earlier though.

So, I think in Belgium, don’t they basically start again for like 10 games? So the split is a Championship Group and a Relegation group but everyone starts again? Like no points etc? Or am I totally wrong there? I think the split should be 8 teams in the Championship Group, 8 teams in the relegation/promotion group and we would have the bottom 4 from the Premiership and top 4 from the championship. I think the huns out a decent shout forward the last time there was a discussion about moving the game on… which went from 4 leagues to 3 leagues. 2 leagues of 12 and a 20 team bottom league which included the colt teams.

2. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    What i hate is there seems to be zero change or effort to improve the game.Total stagnation from the top.

Peej and Rydo1888* like this.
  3. Melbourne Man

A fascinating debate but I want to make it clear, again, that my original post was not aimed at the standard of the SPL. And, yes, the issue does relate to numerous other European leagues which are dominated by a handful of clubs but I posed the question here because it’s the only non-Birmingham City website I actually post on. My German, Spanish and Italian aren’t good enough to post elsewhere. :)

I totally understand the argument used in several of the replies that they want to see Celtic win every match they play. But that applies to every fan of every club and there has never been a football match, to my knowledge at least, with two winners.
    But you're so used to winning that you expect it.

I could have phrased my original question differently ... “Don't you get bored watching either Celtic or Rangers winning the title every year?” I know I would but I was being diplomatic.

Thanks for your input guys and good luck to you and Ange for the rest of the season. I have nothing against Rangers but I hope you win the treble. Cheers

4. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    In Belgium they halve the points after each team has played each other twice.

5. leeso-ardoyne

This is a sorry affir of how bad football is in today's society. Ridiculous how many teams are running away with it.

6. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Would be different if the CL was changed to just champions and all Cup winners.
    Have EL as league runners up and cup runners up.
    Have Ecl as 3rd placed and 4th placed league teams.

Davbhoyinoz and Rydo1888* like this.
  7. Cringer67

Take away the Leicester freak win and there are only likely 4 winners in the English Premier league. There are only 2 in Germany. There are 3 in Spain. Same in France. 2 in Portugal. Given the size of our league, the lack of money available and the size of the country, there is absolutely nothing disproportionate about the fact that only 2 teams can win the league up here. Quite the opposite really when you look at the cold hard facts. A myth perpetuated by haters of our league.

8. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Manchester City and Liverpool are so far ahead of anyone else in England that im 100% sure that no other team will win the EPL in the next 10 years.

9. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Itll be interesting to see what happens when Guardiola and Klopp leave

10. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    To be fair ten years ago I thought nobody but Man City, Man United or Chelsea would win it. Within ten years I can imagine Man City and Newcastle in a 2 horse race.

11. leeso-ardoyne

10 years is a long time in football. Sure wherent the Huns supposed to be 10 years away from challenging us for trophies just two-three years ago.

Newcastle once they get going they will be up there challenging for thst league.

12. Living the dream

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnston
    On a slightly different take on this i genuinely believe that Sky are desperate to form a league of Britain with Celtic and Rangers involved i believe in time we would be very successful because of our fan base. Money is everything down south with our ticket sales and stadium expansion which of course would attract top quality players as big as any of there top 4 We can always dream

13. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    I'd love to see something like a unicef cup.

Where we do away with the league cup in Scotland, England, Wales and both associations in Ireland, and the teams in all the premier league in each division play in an unseeded knock out competition.

The prize being a champions league place.

I believe the public would find it more interesting than the current league cup set up, and its also a chance for smaller clubs to raise their profile and get a good draw or run, and hopefully that can entice better quality players, for ourselves and most of scottish football.

I know the logistics of the additional champions league place would be problematic

Skelleto likes this.
  14. Melbourne Man

Would you like that, knowing you wouldn't be so dominant? Or would you rather things stay as they are?

15. Living the dream

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnston
    i see where your coming from mate but we need to get to the next level at present in scotland it’s not happening. i honestly believe we would get up there with the best eventually purely with the massive fan base that would generate income at the top level

16. OziBeerMan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    The world of football is unfortunately all about money, and the wealthiest clubs will always be there or abouts.
    Not saying it’s perfect but it’s why salary caps have their place. The EPL has even basically implemented one with the financial fair play (although not quite a cap as wealthiest clubs still have more to spend).
    In Australia with our cap in the A League we can sign marquee players outside the cap (so wealthiest clubs can bring in quality overseas players), there’s incentives for bringing youth through and in the NRL there’s loyalty rewards where juniors and long term players have %’s of their salary removed from the cap. So you still get some flexibility. What we have noted though is the wealthiest clubs now spend more on their football departments and sport science, rehab etc etc. The NRL is now looking at capping expenditure on a football department to a % of the cap. Reason being we have some very wealthy Rugby League clubs backed by licensed Leagues Clubs full of poker machines. Point being it goes to show that in an equalised competition, the coaching staff are paramount. Just food for thought. It won’t happen in Europe because of champions league. It would entail every league going salary capped and just won’t happen. But if a more competitive competition is desired, it’s possible, without giving up your ‘advantages’ so to speak.

Mr Cleansheets likes this.
  17. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    No I want everyone and the huns to be pish and Celtic to win every * trophy.

18. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Would be amazing tbh

19. Mr Cleansheets

Ever since Ange was appointed, I've made the point that consistent success in a salary capped league ought to be strong evidence that such a coach was likely to be VERY successful when he had access to better resources.

I'm constantly amazed that others are amazed.

Should've been obvious Ange was likely to do well.

OziBeerMan likes this.
  20. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Not always the case though. Look at marco rose. Absoloute brilliant for his old club. Complete * for dortmund with plenty more funds.