1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for Celtic fans

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Melbourne Man, Mar 21, 2022.

Discuss Question for Celtic fans in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    It's a hard one to compare, as neither we as Celtic fans can really compare to what you have gone through in those two years. Some of our older fans will remember the barren years better than myself, but there was decades of great success before that as well.

But what I can say, is that every single trophy that we win, I have celebrated it every bit as much as I think I would celebrate a UCL win! Each and every trophy is a great reason to celebrate and I don't think any one of them has had me thinking "aye, but we did it last year as well"

2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Of course I’d like the league and the Scottish game to be stronger, and have more teams competing for trophies, but I want us to win every single game we play.

I just feel that those in charge of our game lack any ambition and the media coverage of it sees pundits do their best to put it down when they should be promoting it.

An issue that will always go against us is that we’re next door to the most overhyped and most glamourised league in the world, with literal billions being pumped into it. I’m not getting into politics, but being part of the UK and having Sky as one of the main broadcasters shared between more than one nation, has seen them overwhelmingly favour promoting the English game and as a result we have been given relative scraps. Most countries have their own national broadcaster giving them a better deal, whereas here the Scottish game is a mere afterthought to the likes of Sky.

So I would like to see more money invested in our game and better promotion of it, and for the other teams in the league to improve. But I’d also be wary of ever becoming like the sanitised tourist’s day out that the EPL has become.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
    martin_d and Peej like this.
  3. Mr Cleansheets

Which of course begs the usual question - would people be willing to see the Scottish League absorbed into a full British League if it meant a lot more money, better players, higher standards and more regular games against truly challenging opposition?

I can see arguments both ways but the biggest argument against is that (for me) Scottish football has a unique character and tribalism that could be lost if no longer concentrated in the one pot.

It would also take a really long time for teams to find their appropriate level - given the state of existing resources etc. I really don't know enough about the relevant details but I suspect it would only work financially for 4 - 6 clubs.

4. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    As others like @Peej mentioned, money is a big thing. They don't take any risk but there is many elements. Teams in Scandinavian leagues and Eastern European leagues take in far more money for TV and SPONSORSHIP. Scottish clubs are skint, I remember non league Salford signed Rooney from Aberdeen because they doubled his wage. They will struggle in Europe. I do think English football hinders Scotland massively for sponsors and the TV companies are the same and they've already spent everything on EPL.
    There is also to many teams. 42 teams in Scottish Professional Football league, only about 2/3 are professional. England has 10x the population but not 10x the clubs. Imagine if Dundee had just 1 club (United were decent in the 80s too). If Scotland just had 30 teams Inc B teams I think you would see more competitive football at least in the cups.

5. simpy

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson,charlie nicklas(1st season)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Would you be happy for Celtic to have a place in the EPL over Birmingham

6. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_domestic_football_league_broadcast_deals_by_country

Just realising, French league is provided via Amazon Prime at 500+ million euro a season!!!!!

A service I was hoping we would have went down when the latest deal was beign touted around in 2020. France signed that Amazon deal in 2021 - money to throw around and had we had the balls to go fully online and be Amazon first package, I dare say we would have got more than the pathetic £30mil we get off Sky.

In comparison, EPL gets £1.6BILLION combined over their Sky, BT and Amazon deals.

SPFL is in line with the UAE as far as tv deals is concerned.

We regularly come up against clubs from Poland(£46mill), Greece(£57mill), Denmark(£36mill), Norway(£63mill), Sweden(£44mill) in the qualifying rounds. We wonder why we struggle against these teams? Not only are they generally fitter/healthier, they tend to be in the middle of a league campaign and as much as we like to think we are richer/bigger, these clubs are swimming in a TV deal that is sometimes twice ours!

How is it, that we have the same broadcaster as the EPL, yet we get such a pittance? Is it the English looking down on us? Partly. But largely it is the absolute twats 20 odd years ago * it all up and have since been too scared to * off Sky, for fear they need to do some actual * work to generate revenue for the league and its members.

Skelleto and AdamRS like this.
  7. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

If money men came in and took over Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts and splashed out I would welcome the competition. Competition is healthy. I’ve loved every trophy over the years but definitely some more then others.

OziBeerMan likes this.
  8. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    I would love it if we had a strong Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen but the money has to come from somewhere

9. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Calvin Miller

10. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    This is based on nothing but I feel many clubs do not want lots of their games on TV. They struggle to sell tickets as it is. They fear an accessible TV like amazon or SPL Online streaming as they are already pretty reliant on Celtic and Rangers away crowds.

Peej likes this.
  11. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Fact is we are the biggest club with the most fans. Even if money poured into the league, we would still get more of it so still be better and still be just as successful. What league isn't a two horse race?

England? Well City or Liverpool again.. take away oil money and its even less competitive.

Spain? Madrid or barca.

France? Psg only..

Germany? 1 team league.

Yet for some reason scotlands the only one branded a 2 horse race. Welcome to football. Most leagues end up with two teams most support so get a better financial advantage to become the top dogs. More money won't stop that, as the big teams will still hoover up more money.

12. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    I don't think I enjoy success any less now than I did when we won the league in 97, some will just taste a bit sweeter than others.
    We won 4 trebles in a row and for me the excitement grew each year, so personally i don't get fed up winning

Peej and martin_d like this.
  13. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    This season's potential title would feel more sweet then i can remember actually.

Mr Cleansheets and OziBeerMan like this.
  14. Mr Stubbs

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Na I’d rather win everything every year for the next 100 years. Don’t care about the rest of the teams.

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  15. Mr Stubbs

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    That’s because no other team outside of us and Huns will ever win the league because there rank rotten sides. In England there’s at least 4 teams you always get the impression could win the title, not to mention any team in that league with the right level of investment could win it, like Leicester.

16. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Austrian league is a legit one horse race but never receives criticism, most leagues i can think of are one or two horse races.

Our biggest problem is the drop off in quality outside us and the huns

17. Mr Stubbs

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Aye and teams in other leagues have a better financial playing field to compete. Hearts and Hibs are dross sides and will never have the finances to compete against us.

18. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I mean if hibs or Dundee United get investment I wouldn't be bothered, but ideally I'd want to see my team win the league every year.

OziBeerMan likes this.
  19. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    What about Chesterfield?

20. Melbourne Man

Thanks for all your comments and I'm not surprised that almost everyone wants to retain the status quo in the SPL. I’m not saying I agree with that attitude, just that I’m not surprised.

Nor am I surprised that many of you quoted other European leagues as one, two or three-horse races but in most cases the gap between the top teams and the also-rans doesn’t seem to be nearly as big as it is between Celtic, Rangers and the rest. That gap is massive and will never be breached under the current Scottish set-up.

And I was not suggesting, as one poster alluded to, that Celtic and Rangers lower their standards to help the other clubs. Ideally the others raise their standards, although in truth the original question was really hypothetical as nothing is actually going to change.

I also agree with most of the criticism of the EPL, which has become an exclusive club for the two Manchester clubs, Liverpool and Chelsea. Even Spurs and Arsenal are now struggling to keep up.

But the comment which resonated most with me was the one saying the English Championship is a better watch than the EPL. I totally agree. Literally, anyone can beat anyone in that division and that even includes Birmingham City. We’re 19th, Luton are third yet we have beaten them 5-0 at their ground and 3-0 at our place this season. That’s an extreme example, I know, but there are shock results almost every week. Yes, of course I'd like us to get promotion, but at least in the Championship we can win our fair share of matches.

As I said before, I have developed a soft spot for Celtic since Ange took over. What a brilliant coach he is and you're very fortunate to have him. Enjoy the ride and thanks again for all your comments.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022