1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Embrace craziness' - Celtic's Ange Postecoglou gives nuggets of advice 25 years on from big break
    Ange Postecoglou appears to have become the doyen to a fraternity of young frontline counterparts in the Scottish game

The Celtic manager, now 56, was the oldest of the 12 men helming teams at the start of the cinch Premiership campaign – a distinction now passed to Mark McGhee after the 63-year-old replaced James McPake at Dundee. On his travels, Postecoglou has encountered seven top-flight managers cutting their teeth in the roles. He will cross paths with one of those, Dundee United’s Tam Courts, when Tannadice plays host to the clubs’ Scottish Cup quarter-final on Monday. As with all the novices, Postecoglou has empathy and admiration for Courts. It may have been way back in 1996 the Australian was thrust into the role of head coach at South Melbourne – titles there and at two other clubs, as well as the Australian nation team’s only major honour, subsequently embellishing his trackside days – but he remains acutely aware of the onerous challenges that face first-timers.

“I think Tam has done a really good job,” Postecoglou said. “We have already seen some managers lose their roles [without] a consistent sort of run of results. For a young guy, I think he’s handled it really well. Dundee United are one of the clubs who expect to be playing in the top half of the table, contesting for Europe, contesting for cups and he has steered through that pressure, where you know two or three bad results and people are putting you under the spotlight. I’ve spoken to him the two times we’ve played and he’s a really respectful guy.

"I guess for any young manager, those first few steps are the critical ones. If you take me back 25 years, I realise now how important it was that in my first attempt at it that I made an impact. The way you address your first role is really, really important and it’s why I often tell guys who want to get into it not to rush. Your first job often dictates whether you’re going to have a career in the game at that level or not. And it’s not just about being successful, it’s about the way you conduct yourself and the way you handle the pressure. People notice these things. So, it’s really important when you’re starting off that you really embrace the craziness of the role, and how all-encompassing it is, because it doesn’t change. A loss today hurts me just as much as it did 25 years ago.

I guess for any young manager, those first few steps are the critical ones. If you take me back 25 years, I realise now how important it was that in my first attempt at it that I made an impact. The way you address your first role is really, really important and it’s why I often tell guys who want to get into it not to rush. Your first job often dictates whether you’re going to have a career in the game at that level or not. And it’s not just about being successful, it’s about the way you conduct yourself and the way you handle the pressure. People notice these things. So, it’s really important when you’re starting off that you really embrace the craziness of the role, and how all-encompassing it is, because it doesn’t change. A loss today hurts me just as much as it did 25 years ago.

“All the same sort of pressures I had in my first year, in terms of the expectations on myself, they’re still there, that doesn’t change. If you can embrace that early on, then it probably means you’ll be able to carve out a career, because that’s the key. Often young managers start off not understanding that what success looks like is having a career. If you can still be doing the same job in 20/25 years’ time, then that’s success. Obviously, to last that long, you’re going to have to notch your wins along the way, but you’re not going to win every championship, every trophy. But if you can keep doing what you’re doing for the next 25 years then you’ve done well.”

ANGE POSTECOGLOU has told his Celtic players to put the Premiership title race out of their minds and train their focus solely on reaching the Scottish Cup semi-final.

Celtic travel to Tannadice to take on Dundee United in Monday night’s quarter-final tie, and while the league remains the priority, Postecoglou won’t accept any let-up in intensity from his men as he sets his sights on a Treble in his first season at the club.

“It’s definitely not lost on us that there’s a cup to win,” Postecoglou said.

“Obviously the league has been the focus for the last few weeks but we are more than well aware that we’re deep into a cup now and a few games away from hopefully contesting for another trophy.

“We’re definitely focused in on that, knowing that Monday night is going to be a good challenge for us against a good side away from home.

“Cup games always have a little bit of edge to them. They are always more exciting so I’m looking forward to it.”

Postecoglou is hoping that the absence of a fixture in midweek for the first time since the end of the winter break will have helped to prepare his men for what will likely be a hotly-contested battle at Tannadice.

It gives us an opportunity to do some different things in training, work a little bit harder and on some specific stuff,” he said.

“With midweek games you are really aware of players’ recovery and feeling sharp for the game ahead.

“Having a full week, or in this case longer than a week, we can still freshen up the players but also have good solid sessions to work on our game.

“From my perspective, the beauty of it is that we have a pretty healthy squad at the moment. There are only one or two players not training with the main group.

“Training is really competitive and at a really good level because they want to play. From that perspective, it will be good to have two solid weeks of training that we haven’t had since the start of the year.”

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
  2. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    This may not be the place, but look at the latest contribution in The Celtic Star by the Editor on Celtic's top goalscorers.

The photo of King Kenny in a warm up is an amazing bit of photography.

The cross bar of the goal in the background is included into the white hoop of Kenny's shirt, even though his body does not allow you to see the entire crossbar in reality.

Look at the photo to see what I mean.

3. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    I will back that up at a grass roots level.

There used to be a tv sports show on channel 7 in Melbourne called World Of Sport. It ran for many years, if not decades.

Hosted by Ron Casey, it was a 'job for the boys' type of Sports show, mostly concentrating on Aussie Rules football, but also boxing, horse racing, dogs racing, athletics, swimming etc when the occasion warranted it.

Now at that time State League Soccer was a real draw card with the migrant groups and some of the local population were getting into it as well, as they had been doing in New South Wales for years. Soccer was seen as a real threat to 'football' in Victoria, and also by the veteran football commentators who were ensconced in the show and getting a weekly salary out of it.

To cancel any accusation of bias towards soccer, and not on a regular basis, they would allow a timid balding Englishman named Freddie Villiers to be on the show, and talk about British soccer mostly. The guy looked like a frightened rabbit in a room full of greyhounds.

He would get 3 minutes at most, and always seemed rushed. Soccer was seen as a real threat to football in Victoria, the 'manly' game, that was basically a very physical game and at times a slug fest. In the summer men would play cricket.

Soccer at that time and further on was called 'wogball', even though most Australians had British roots. It was a 'sheila's game', and if you did not play 'footie' there was something wrong with you. I did not mind football, liked playing it, but I loved soccer, because your improving skills needed to be developed with personal discipline. Also because my dad loved the game, as did his friends and I did also, and would go watch matches on a weekly basis.

4. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Forgot to mention that World of Sport was a three hour program on tv each Sunday in Melbourne.

Fred Villiers would only get 3-4 minutes on this show to talk soccer.

Such was the attitude to Association Football at the time.

5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I seen a quote from Marvin Bartley of all people talking about the aura he just protrudes, I think that’s something we’ve all seen from him from the very start when people were still sceptical. Effortlessly charismatic

martin_d, JC Anton and Wllm like this.
  6. DdoubleD

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    This is a standard dress code in most clubs/pubs in aus for any sports jersey just not football.

Sydneysider likes this.
  7. Big Marn

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Ange Fenian Song
    There were many dinosours then and still some around now. Got to break the glass ceiling. Casey was a real Rugby League man, like the late Rex Mossop which was on channel 9 with Sportsworld. Minimum football on that show with the late Johnny Warren. I hope that this is the start of the best era of football coming up for Aus footy. Mainly for the fact that the Teams have broken away from the establishment, and the wealthy owners will now spend alot more on each of their clubs as they said they would. National second division (NSD) being introduced 2023 by the establishment means another pro level between the A League (top level) and the NPL (part timers), which already exist.
    I hope more Scottish players come down here and have a run, its physical, quick and technical enough.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2022
  8. Mr Cleansheets

In case any Glaswegians were wondering about the Oz cultural references...

This was the culture Ange grew up in where football (and football lovers) were total pariahs.

It's kinda why we love him so much - being successful in a place where football is king.

9. jambo_cfc

Watched the open goal interview and you can tell he really enjoys laid back interviews even though he probably struggles with their accents lol , on the open goal and his australian interviews you can see the difference in him than when the scottish media are interviewing him.

as some have said i could listen to him all day, theres just an aura about him and he doesnt belive in failure.

really think in 2 or 3 years time we will be seeing ange at a top top club , only thing that may hinder him is age and maybe the spl.

10. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    I know about Ron Casey in Melbourne. Was there a Ron Casey in Sydney also, loved his boxing, self opinionated ?

11. Foley1888

For me this is spot on and it all comes down to Open Goal and the Australian interviews it’s genuinely asking him about football what his take on football matters are and a bit of humour thrown in.

Compare that to the media here, that MacIntyre describing our game as a tough watch whilst his colleagues praise the other side for hanging on against bottom of the league. Being asked questions about ticketing, political statements, off field issues, injuries, referees, basically anything bar the actual football. He’s made it clear he’s a football man not there to talk about the other stuff so maybe if someone asked him about his view on a game, performance, how his team are progressing against how he wants to play the game then they would get quality opinion back the same way Open Goal and Australian media do.

12. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    As a follow up to what has been discussed above, I found a great piece of nostalgia on youtube that runs for 26 mins and is a film/documentary produced in Australia.

It shows Denis Law, Pat Crerand, Mat Busby, George Best, Bobby Charlton etc on the club tour to Australia in 1967 and highlights playing against Victoria and New South Wales.

Gives you a good insight to football in Oz at the time. Its good to watch so give it a go.

youtube Victoria v Manchester United 11 June 1967 and NSW v Manchester United 18 June 1967.

Celtic were later to play on the same ground in Melbourne some years later on their tour.

13. Big Marn

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Ange Fenian Song
    What? there were two Ron Caseys? When I read Melbourne I was thinking, that can't be right. Well there you go. That wasn't boxing Giorgo, that was a handbag.

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC manager Ange Postecoglou says a £40million Champions League jackpot would take his side to a new level.

Postecoglou knows a place with Europe’s elite would boost his bid to keep loan pair Jota and Cameron Carter-Vickers.

But he also expects it would lead to more top talent joining his Parkhead revolution.

He said: “If we are playing in the Champions League next year, and that should be our goal every year, then it will be an attraction for players to stay. But it will also be an attraction for players to come.

“The appeal to come here is playing in front of 60,000 people every second week.

“It’s competing in Europe, competing for trophies and playing for a club that’s universally known around the world. That’s the attraction.

“This is a two-way thing. The player has to want to be here and we have to want them.

“When you have that sort of thinking, I’m sure we will get a deal done.

“There’s no issue if players see their future away from here or have different motivations.

“Both Cameron and Jota are saying all they need to say to me with their performances. They have been outstanding contributors all year and are great young men as well and I am loving having them as part of his football club.”

Celtic are keen to trigger the £6million buy option on Jota’s Benfica loan deal.

Postecoglou also wants to sign Carter-Vickers permanently from Spurs.

But at least four English clubs, including Wolves, are keeping tabs on the USA international defender.

Asked about the difficulty of competing with Premier League wages, he said: “That’s OK, I would never deny that.

“We could get offers for some of our other players, depending on how we finish the season.

“That’s the choices they make. There’s no problem.

“If that’s what they desire for their next move, I have no issue with them.

“But while you are here with me, you give everything you can to this football club to make it successful. If you do that then whatever your next step is I am happy for you.”

Postecoglou admits Premier Sports Cup glory whet his appetite for more success.

The Aussie coach landed his first trophy as Hoops boss back in December.

Now, with just two months of the season left, his side are firmly in the Treble mix.

Three points clear at the top of the league, the Hoops face Dundee United in the Scottish Cup quarter-finals.

Postecoglou admits the memory of that Hampden win against Hibs has fuelled his desire to deliver more.

He said: “I celebrated, but it will sound pretty boring to what you guys might have in mind as a celebration. I had a couple of quiet Scotches to myself and that was the extent of it.

“I wanted to make sure the players celebrated their efforts because I think it was a fantastic day.

“The semi-final and the final at Hampden were sensational days and my experience of them as Celtic manager. I enjoyed them immensely.

“It helps when you are successful, but it was a great atmosphere and occasion.

“For us it was important because it showed people we had made progress.

“We didn’t rest on our laurels and say, ‘OK, we’ve won a trophy, we are OK for the rest of the year’.

“If anything it whet the appetite for more.”

But Postecoglou played down potential Treble talk and added: “I just don’t think that way.”

If players get comfortable, I’ll sign another’ - Celtic keep squad on toes as only one assurance over on Cameron Carter-Vickers and Jota

It can appear that the trick for Celtic manager Ange Postecoglou over the closing months of the season will be keeping his sizeable squad happy.

With the Scottish Cup quarter-final away to Dundee United on Monday night beginning a period where the cinch Premiership leaders have regular midweeks, his two-players-for-every-position will have fewer opportunities to be dropped in and out of his starting line-ups. Yet, spreading the contentment by rationing out game-time isn’t in his thinking when he sees banking outings as on his players, not him.

With English suitors with much deeper pockets circling for Tottenham Hostpsur loanee Cameron Carter-Vickers and Jota, on a season-long deal from Benfica, it could seem another source of difficulty for the Celtic manager will be persuading the pair that the attractions of his club offset greater remuneration elsewhere. Except that Postecoglou is sanguine about that situation. His only demand from them is retaining full focus over the closing two-and-a-bit months of this campaign, which he has no concerns over.

"How do you define happiness? I've never worried about players being happy,” said Postecoglou. “I assume players get their happiness from winning things and being part of something successful. I don't expect them to be walking around with smiles on their faces and singing a tune if they are not playing. I want them to be disappointed and determined to break in, as long as they don't use that in a negative way. At the moment, training is really competitive and at a great level because they want to play and be a part of it - they don't want to miss out. They are disappointed if they miss out, but what they do with that disappointment is come back to training the next day and try to show me they are ready to go should they get called up. That's the important thing.

"If a player is not happy with their situation here, they have choices they can make. But always understand that you can go to another club, play every week, and never win anything. If you want to be at a big club and fighting for trophies every year, then you have to be prepared to be competing for your spot every week. There won't be a moment while I'm here that any player will feel comfortable. If they are comfortable, I will sign another player to play in their position to make sure they are at their absolute best. That's my role and that's what they want me to do - keep pushing them to be the best they can be. As long as that disappointment isn't used in a negative way, let them come back tomorrow determined to prove that they should be out there.”

It is more than likely the cinch Premiership title winners this season will earn direct entry to the Champions League group stages. It could be a factor in retaining Carter-Vckers and Jota, the Celtic manager agrees, but there could be another strand to that carrot. And should financial reward trump all else for them, Posteocoglou won’t take the hump. “I’m sure [Champions League football could help keep the two of them] but I'm sure it would be [a draw] for other players who want to come to our football club. This is a two-way thing,” he said. “The players have to want to be here, and we have to want them here. When you have that thinking, I'm sure we will get a deal done. There's no issue if players see their future away from here or have different motivations. The appeal to come to this club is playing in front of 60,000 people every second week, competing in Europe, competing for trophies and playing for a club that's universally known around the world. That's the attraction.

"If we are playing Champions League next year and, if not, next year - it should be our goal every year - then it will be an attraction for players to stay but will also be an attraction for players to come. It doesn't really change the situation. Both Cameron and Jota are saying all they need to say to me with their performances. They have been outstanding contributors all year and are great young men as well. I am loving having them as part of his football club.

"That's OK [if they can get more money down south]. That's fine. I would never deny that. We could get offers for some of our other players, depending on how we finish the season. That's the choices they make. There's no problem. If that's what they desire for their next move, I have no issue with them. But while you are here with me, you give everything you can to this football club to make it successful and if you do that then whatever your next step is I am happy for you."

Celtic’s Ange Postecoglou second cup bid fuelled by memories of 'sensational days' and 'a couple of quiet scotches'

There are myriad reasons why Celtic’s Premier Sports Cup success from December would pale against triumphing in the Scottish Cup.

Aside from the far weightier prestige attached to the latter competition, the possibility it could complete a treble, the contrast between the two is wrapped up in the scheduling. Celtic had to curb their enthusiasm over Ange Postecoglou’s first trophy of his tenure, earned with their 2-1 victory against Hibs in the weekend before Christmas decider, because they had a league game three days later. Meanwhile, the Scottish Cup showpiece ends the domestic season for every cinch Premiership team that avoids the play-offs.

The Celtic manager’s bids to return his top flight pacesetters to Hampden involves negotiating their Scottish Cup quarter-final with Dundee United at Tannadice on Monday. As he does so, the 56-year-old doesn’t see festivities that accompanied his route to silverware in a fifth frontline coaching post as providing mere snifters, though. It was more a case of his afternoons at the national team to achieve that going down so smoothly that the palette of the Australian has been fired up for more.

“I celebrated the League Cup properly, but it will sound pretty boring to what you might have in mind as a celebration: I had a couple of quiet scotches to myself and that is the extent of it for me,” said Postecoglou. “I wanted to make sure that the players celebrated their efforts because I think it was a fantastic day. The semi-final [win over St Johnstone] and the final at Hampden were sensational days. And my experience of them as Celtic manager was I enjoyed them immensely.

“It helps when you are successful but it was a great atmosphere and a great occasion and for us it was important because it showed people we had made progress. We had a tough beginning to the season, in terms of form and results, [and going from that] to winning a trophy in the first-half of the season was really important as a marker for us. We acknowledged it but also knew we had a game days later so it was important we used that as a good impetus for us. We didn’t rest on our laurels and say ‘OK, we have won a trophy, we are OK for the rest of the year.’ If anything it whet the appetite for more.”

tarboltontim likes this.
  16. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    The Melbourne Ron Casey was dark haired, short and stout and was a life member of the Celtic Club. He called the Lionel Rose v Fighting Harada fight live from Japan.

The Sydney Ron Casey was infamous for having that extraordinary punchup on live television with Normie Rowe, popular singer in the 60s, and ex-Vietnam veteran over comments he made about Australian returned servicemen.

Big Marn likes this.
  17. PaddyJamieson

I think Ange is handling the CCV and Jota situations perfectly, really impressed. Never talked them down but made it abundantly clear what they have here and what they'd be giving up if they were to leave. At the same time making it clear they're not irreplaceable.

martin_d likes this.
  18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

19. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I know it's been said umpteen times already, but what a guy. So glad he's with us :49:

20. DEADEYECFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    teemu pukki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Even sourness is a fan of oor ange

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk