1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Brown

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by hkbhoy, May 15, 2007.

Discuss Scott Brown in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Your argument was he must be good if we offered him a lucrative coaching position in the youth ranks.

I already pointed out that means literally nothing to wether he’s a good coach or not. You then said we wouldn’t offer him it if we didn’t think he was a good coach. Our track record shows we don’t know who’s good youth coaches or not.

It’s really not that hard to understand…

2. James Gold Member Gold Member

I agree to an extent but our recent history would suggest the jobs for the Bhoys approach doesn't work we've got McManus and O'Dea who were previously coaching the youth i know McManus is now first team coach but do we honestly believe they were the best avaliable coaches and they just happened to be ex players even Lennon second spell Lawwell is on record as saying the other CVs were shoved in a drawer.

I get none of that is a negative or a positive towards Briony but Aberdeen have hardly been flying this season and that's his first real coaching gig. I would love nothing more than him to come back and be a major success but would prefer he proved his coaching ability elsewhere first

3. Mr. Slippyfist

Absolutely correct, because unlike you I don’t think they’d be offering him deals to come back in a youth coaching capacity if they thought he was a * coach - you know, considering he’s actually shown what kind of coach he’s been at Celtic Park - but yeah, that is of zero bearing to you…

And, what’s this “track record” of not knowing who’s good youth coaches or not? Would love to hear it.

seanm likes this.
  4. seanm

* me id take broony over kennedy and strachan jnr combined right now as a first team coach.id still play him today.bring him home HH

5. Mr. Slippyfist

Come on pal, all this “best coaches” stuff is just generalised nonsense. Was Ange the BEST coach we could have hired? Absolutely not, but he’s doing not too bad eh?

We haven’t done enough in terms of promoting youth players into the first team for the past few years - but that has no bearing on the youth coaches, considering it wasn’t them deciding that players weren’t getting call ups.

In regards to Stephen McManus and Darren O’Dea - neither of whom simply walked into a job at Celtic - both were at Motherwell (I believe) before being recruited back to Celtic.

Were they the absolute best youth coaches we could have brought in? i dunno, probably not but the way folk bleet on is as though these guys haven’t got a clue ffs

6. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Really?

The Phoenix and Moore like this.
  7. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I never said they thought he was a * coach. I just said them thinking he’s a good coach doesn’t mean he is. That’s the whole point.

The people evaluating whether he’s a good coach or not have a poor track record when it comes to hiring people and a poor track record when it comes to what’s good for youth development. Just saying he got offered a job with no context as to who’s offering it and our recent record doesn’t make any sense.

Just because we sign a player or hire a manager it doesn’t mean they’re any good either.

Our track record in youth development is brutal. We need a clear out from top to bottom. When all that is done and we’ve got a good people in that department if they think an ex player is the right person for a job then even better.

8. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Ange rates McManus very highly apparently. I love Broony but would rather he went elsewhere

9. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
  10. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Looks to me pushed out by goodwin. Was never gona work when he came in to the sheep. All the best for the future…hopefully goes out and carves his way in management and could be back managing us one day

11. James Gold Member Gold Member

It's not even just exclusive to them either though Strachan jr had nothing on his CV other than his surname to suggest he should have been scouted to take a first team role here. You could make a decent case for Ange obviously to much lesser extent though with the city group and Lawwell links the boards first choice was Eddie Howe clearly then Ange came from nowhere when that fell through. I'm not saying every single appointment we make will be horrendous but I would just like to see a bit more ambition at board level ... maybe ambition is the wrong word but I don't for a second think the best available at any given time just happens to have links to Celtic in some way.

The Phoenix and Valhalla like this.
  12. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I'd love for him to go to Hibs first. Join Maloneys coaching setup.

13. Yoshi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Andreas Thom
    Get to rehab

14. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Any player coach runs the risk of being pushed out once the manager they came in under goes.
    Wouldn't be surprised if he takes a break and waits to see what is open in the summer.

Boruc17 likes this.
  15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Kinda strange how it's panned out for Broony there. Can understand Goodwin wanting a fresh start though with the coach going with his best man who he's just replaced in Glass. So probably no that strange actually..

He definitely does. He's very highly rated..

Been pretty much fast tracked through the ranks because of it and done well at Motherwell also..

16. Mr. Slippyfist

Fair enough.

I agree with you in that we have nowhere near utilized our youth academy in recent years to anywhere near it's maximum potential, however that blame can't fully be laid on the youth coaches.

In terms of Brown, you've a club legend with multiple trophies to his name. He's coached at Celtic, he's been in demand in terms of folk trying to sign him as a manager - any youth player in Celtic (I believe) having Scott brown as their coach should be in awe - as they will see what it's like to be a model professional, and what it takes to be a premier player.

In no shape or form is it simply "jobs for the boys"....

17. Mr. Slippyfist

That's just childish pal, come on now - don't swallow that gumph! Gordon Strachan doesn't even have enough pull here to be inserting his lads into top positions ffs.

GAVIN strachan - 6 years or so experience managing and coaching teams...

Liam Scales likes this.
  18. Keano88

• Son of Gordon Strachan
    • Good with computers and that
    • 100+ streak on wordle.

James and Valhalla like this.
  19. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    wordle csc. hh