1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. HenriksRightBoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I´ve said it many times, and it needs repeating; Any manager worth their salt can and will adapt (who are we playing, on what surface, what options are available considering injuries and so on). He came across as arrogant in the post-match interview, wasn´t a good look at all.

Yesterday was very disappointing, on many levels. Most disappointing for me was not giving it a proper go, it was only 1 - 3 when the game started, against a team who hasn´t played in a while.

martin_d likes this.
  2. DdoubleD

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Roll on sunday so we dont have to keep reading the * coming out of some of your * fingertips..

johnfife1959 and cfcturbo like this.
  3. saltire78

Jesus! That's a brutal answer, if it's what he said... That's an answer for folks in a pub chatting with their mates, not a professional manager... :38:

I like a bit of magnanimous behaviour in victory and decorum in defeat. I find it's like gaining a little victory itself... Of course, the questions asked could shape the answer, but it's not a good look. Especially given that it is a club with the 'right' way of how it got where it is - not bankrolled by billionaires, TV money or eufa 'handouts'

martin_d likes this.
  4. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    I dont see the problem with a honest answer? He dont care who wins it. Why would he give a *? I dont care who wins it.

Sydneysider, Slaw, Rydo1888* and 3 others like this.
  5. DdoubleD

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    lol no one cares who wins that *.. Was an embarrassment even playing in it tbf..

Sydneysider, The Phoenix and Skelleto like this.
  6. JamesM09

Fast becoming a victim of his own success, much like when he qualified for Europe in the first place with half a reserve team.

We are not ready for Europe this year. The focus is on winning the league and preparing a squad for next season.

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    'I was super confident the players I selected last night would get the job done'

There's no way on earth he genuinely believed that

martin_d and Free the Adblock like this.
  9. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Even more embarrassing getting skudded oot it 5-1

aliceinsound and martin_d like this.
  10. ddub11

Good post.

martin_d and RogicHasMagicToes like this.
  11. Dazza

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Welsh Ralston Scales at the back are replaced by CCV Jura Taylor in our current first 11. Hatate and Mcgregor start in our midfield 3 so Bitton and one of O'Riley or Rogic drop out. Forrest and Maeda replaced by Abada and Jota.

So that's 7 first 11 players not playing. 8 if you take out Giak once Kyogo comes back, so arguably only Hart, Starfelt and Rogic/O'Riley are normal starters for us.

We sent out a back up team to concede the tie and prioritise the league. No two ways about it imo.

12. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    If he sticks with his tactics in the champions League next year should we win the league, we will be torn to shreds. We can't even compete in two lower tier competitions for the last couple of years, champions League is a humongous step up especially as teams are even further ahead than when we were last in it.

martin_d likes this.
  13. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

Glad to an extent for a reality check and also will have learned a number of lessons about players and systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sydneysider, Wee Baldy and JamesM09 like this.
  14. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    We got 9 points in our tough group for * sake.

Aye these two games are * but it happens.

He has had to clear all the deadwood and then build a team from scratch this season.

People are forgetting this is his first season with Europe and with us.

15. john2061

That's the problem if he doesn't get the three points on Sunday after leaving half a team out he will get it big time on here .

martin_d likes this.
  16. MAP

Magnanimous is fine, but I think he is just being honest.

What manager is going to care what their opposition get up to going forward in a competition they are no longer going to participate in? I doubt the club will be monitoring their performances, and I suspect Ange won't be watching their games; he has enough on his plate.

I personally don't care what Bodo get up to going forward. I won't be watching them. I probably won't watch any more Conference games. By competitions end, I hope they do win it so I can satisfy my bruised ego slightly and confirm that we were beaten by a very good side.

Sydneysider and Guchi Gucci like this.
  17. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

We all know he rested the players for a more important game.

Whether you agree or disagree with his logic, you surely can’t expect him to come out and say “Aye mate, I knew we were pumped and on a hiding to nothing, so I gave Welshie, Forrest, and Scales a game”

Sydneysider and Guchi Gucci like this.
  18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Ange Postecoglou says close enough is not good enough for Celtic.

The Parkhead boss is demanding increased levels of performance as his side prepare for tomorrow’s Premiership crunch against Hibs.

Postecoglou ’s men head to Easter Road with a three-point lead at the top of the table.

But the manager was unhappy at the nature of Thursday night’s European exit at the hands of Bodo/Glimt and is looking for a higher standard.

He also provided injury updates on crocked duo Kyogo Furuhashi and David Turnbull as the title race heats up again.

Postecoglou said: “There’s no good that comes from defeat. We weren’t good enough and we haven’t progressed, so it’s disappointing.

“But that’s a separate issue to the [Hibs] game. We have a big game on Sunday, another difficult game away from home against a good side.

“So we have to make sure that we perform well, as we have been. But that’s not because of anything that happened [on Thursday].

"That’s the expectations on our football club, that we perform in all competitions and our next challenge is the league on Sunday.

“That’s what I am talking about. We want these players to get to that level.

“I think that they can, but they’ll only do it if we keep exposing them and keep putting that assertion on them that close enough is not good enough.”

Postecoglou used an example of missed chances from sub Liel Abada during the Conference League second leg to push home his point.

Asked about the Israeli showing some fight as the game slipped away from his team, the boss said: “He did, but he missed some chances.

“That’s the quality we want them to get to and that’s his challenge because I think he could have had at least a couple of goals in Norway.

“That’s what I am talking about with levels of performance. It’s not just we didn’t play well, but in both games we had chances and haven’t tested the keeper. Daizen Maeda had one as well.

“Liel did very well, but I’m hoping he’s disappointed he didn’t score a couple of goals because he has scored in Europe before.”

Abada is among those who could return to the starting line-up in Leith having been benched at the beginning in Bodo.

Cameron Carter-Vickers, Jota, Josip Juranovic, Greg Taylor were all unused in the Arctic Circle as Postecoglou looked to manage the group ahead of the Capital clash.

Shaun Maloney’s team are finding some form, but Celtic have won all three meetings of the teams this term.

Postecoglou said: “I think when you look at the league in general, it’s become pretty tight now.

“There are not too many teams that hit a consistent run of results. They are in a similar boat, but they are still in a good position in the league because it’s so tight.

“We have to expect it’s going to be a tough game. It always is when you are away from home. We’ve just got to make sure we perform well.”

Postecoglou, meanwhile, has offered a short update on injured pair Turnbull and Kyogo, who have been out since December.

He told Sky Sports earlier that Kyogo wouldn't be "far off" from his highly-anticipated return

But he said here: “Turnbull is almost back training, but Kyogo is nowhere near it.”

Sydneysider likes this.
  19. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I'm hoping Kyogo is back after the Livingston game. Having him fit for the huns game would be massive.

Sydneysider and martin_d like this.
  20. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Sorry fella. But thats bollocks.

Ange has quite literally, and justifiably smacked that question into touch. We're out of the comp. What does it matter who wins it now .

If he responds with a yes, he conceeds we're * for the rags to have a go. Beaten by a better side.

If he responds with a no, he conceeds we're *, and totally *.. to be beaten by a team that cant go all the way.

Him saying that it doesnt matter is a perfect answer imo.

Its not about being magnanimous, or even humble. Its about focus.

Those comments alone, display his disappointment at the players. Its not about B/G, how good they are or how far theyll go. Its about US.

Thats not to say i dont have criticisms for the big fella. Imo, hes made TWO major mistakes since he arrived. Overplaying an unfit Kyogo. And not allowing the squad to train on their patch.

Im in total agreement with Chris Sutton. Its imperative that the squad get a run out on their patch. Lets them feel for the pitch, the speed, the dimensions etc. In fact, id go as far to say that his nonchalance regarding their surface cost us a result .

As Sutton rightly said,"by the time Celtic got to grips with the surface. The tie was over".

He * up.

But that doesnt mean hes wrong post match.

Some of our players need a rocket up the *.
    Ange underlining theyre out of a competition, by lack of endeavour, and how said competition now moot for us... Can only be a positive. Especially for the players.

oh bhoy and PaddyJamieson like this.