1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Bodo/Glimt v Celtic Thursday February 24th kickoff 5:45PM BT Sport ESPN

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Feb 20, 2022.

Discuss Bodo/Glimt v Celtic Thursday February 24th kickoff 5:45PM BT Sport ESPN in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The Don

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll never walk alone
    Probably don't mean anything to be honest, if a bigger club want him enough they will just take him.

2. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I think they just had us completely worked out cause of all the time they had to plan and watch us. They have a good manager it seems, they are on the up and really just getting used to European football, doing well against us is a big achievement and they had two months to plan against us and seem to carry it out perfectly.

Usually teams don't really get much of a chance to see the opposition before they play as they're playing every 3/4 days but to have 2 month knowing you are playing a team home and away in big ties, you couldn't get a better chance.

They were really comfortable defending us and like shadowing us all over the park, reading our patterns of play that we never even looked in the tie as soon as they went 1-0 up in the first leg.

Looked like men vs boys.

3. DonnyCelt

Would've drawn AZ if we'd beat these. A team we've already beaten this season. Ah well.

4. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Pretty sure seedings and stuff wouldn't have brought same outcome

5. DonnyCelt

Ah ok

6. Multatuli

Fav Celtic Player:
    Karamoko Dembele
    Cheers mate! I sure hope I can be there one day!

p.s.
    I just saw the draw: Bodo Glimt vs AZ :D

7. Foley1888

My original post isn’t meant as a go at Ange, it is more about the infrastructure of our club or the lack of it to be more exact. We are asking Ange to pretty much do everything be our chief scout, full coaching staff on his own, director of football, he needs support and help.

A lot has been said about the success of B/G with a small budget and their manager is getting a lot of praise but even a team at their scale has a very strong support infrastructure around how they do things and brings in people to compliment what he is doing. If a club that scale recognises it then surely we should?

Football has moved on so much over the last decade and we have remained very static in the old model. If we want to fulfil our potential we need to move on too. Ange is a massive part of that as a good manager who has a clear vision and I fully support him.

However tackling our age old problems of pathway from academy to first team, recruitment set up to try maximise value for money due to our revenue restrictions, these are all things we sorely need to address and properly staff up to do so. Ange again as the corner stone of what we are doing should be a big part of those appointments.

8. celtic warrior

Glad we are out of Europe...when ange came in I was happy to write it off. Appreciate that is not something we should be aspiring too but with the utter * show of last season and mess we were in I honestly didn't give any * at all about European football.

With what was at stake domestically we had to put our efforts into winning the league and as other teams on the continent show much like Bodo, is that if you can put the infrastructure together and build a new culture from top to bottom we could potentially go on to achieve big things in Europe.

Winning the league and building from that position PROPERLY for once could see us really build something for the future.

The Don likes this.
  9. KevMan

You’re correct, teams who went through last night unseeded and those who won their group seeded, so we’d have been in same position as Bodo.

DonnyCelt likes this.
  10. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Knutsen looks to be an exceptional manager. Everyone talks about how good Bodo are going forward (and they are). But defensively they hardly gave us a snuff over two legs.

Outstanding defending and they just know what they are doing in general.

Would definitely be keeping tabs on this guy and at least half their starting team as well

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. joemc

I mentioned rangers would pump us at ibrox with both games last night being a representation of form or how we will play ,
    Think many of us with bruised egos , it's not nice , we are meant to be the big team and we got handed our * tbh , not once but twice , making it not a fluke , but on a brighter not and trying to appear positive, we are ahead of wot many felt domestically, I felt this season would be full of ups n downs , we are not really nailing down the performance as yet and maybe it will come nxt season.
    We have been poor the last 4 or 5 games and the pressing has dropped along with the tempo , we do play much better with kyogo and his enthusiasm transmits through the team with more energy, and a bit more dynamic, I will judge ange nxt year at this point as I didn't expect anything this year .

13. The Don

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll never walk alone
    Yes, this is how I feel

14. evilbunny1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Sorry but can the same not be said of Bodo and the quality of the Norwegian league? Celtic have better quality than all teams in the Norwegian league and I really believe player for player we have better than Bodo but they were clearly better drilled more effective as a team and therefore better than us over two legs. But you aren’t telling me the whole Norwegian league has good quality attacking teams so Bodo are therefore ‘used’ to it.

I feel like we as fans need to constantly create excuses as to why we don’t compete in europes third tier competition. The unkind fact is we are simply not good enough right now, we are unfit, we lack a physicality to our game, we are slow in midfield and at the back. We get exposed easily on the counter attack and tactically both on and off the pitch leaves a lot to be desired our pressing game is poor at the highest level we don’t shut off lanes of passing very well, we don’t press as a whole team. I don’t know if it’s just being used to Celtic being so bad in Europe over the last 5/6 years but the expectations levels and just acceptance from fans is really disturbing.

15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I don’t think we’re unfit. Look at the amount of late goals we’ve scored this season.

16. Keano88

AZ were/are a really good side as well.

We were the better side first leg but they definitely could have knocked us out over there, missed a couple of sitters and hart made a few key saves over the 2 legs.

Saying that, our defence was a riot at that stage. Pretty sure that was the game Welsh and Hart gifted them a goal then Starfelt scored a mental own goal too.

Not sure who’ll win that tie.

Multatuli likes this.
  17. Pheeso

Maybe I'm being too simplistic but I do worry about where we are. I know this was a third level competition, but If we can't make progress in Europe where the big money is, we'll soon be selling players and can forget about winning any league. Obviously we have to win the Premiership this year, but this, on its own is not enough.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  18. s88 Gold Member Gold Member

I don't watch Norwegian football, so I have no idea what the quality is like. I can look at the historical data and speculate though, and I admit it is in no way a representation of the actual quality. Bodo/Glimt's success has only been very recent and coincides with the arrival of Kjetil Knutsen, which suggests he has some part to play, I don't think that's controversial. I don't know any of his credentials or history, but he has the team playing as a unit well and I can believe its how they play domestically. How else does a team win promotion and get second place, followed by first within three seasons? I wasn't comparing Celtic and Bodo/Glimt, or the leagues.

Having better players doesn't always result in a stronger team, but I agree with the second part. Maybe we'll see similar results with Ange in time? He's certainly shown promise.

You're correct; I'm not telling you that. I don't even think I implied it nevermind explicitly stated it, but I am suggesting that teams who take the game to us always seem to play better than us, and I think that's because we are so used to having time on the ball when playing domestically that once we're out our comfort zone, we start making more and more forced errors. We see nothing of the sort domestically. I don't think that's a controversial opinion. Maybe its the reason we play bad in Europe, maybe its not, its just my speculation; mere belief. I have nothing else to suggest why we are so characteristically bad in Europe; is it some phenomenon with CFC that we just have to accept?

In the same way we need a CB partnership that is used to playing together, we need a team that knows how to defend as a unit against players of comparable skill, and the only way to do that is by playing against attacking teams; learning by doing. The majority of the SPL is of terrible quality, so we get let off lightly due to the lack of ability and are frequently punished in Europe, something we all acknowledge.

This has been a terribly excessive post and I apologise; I'm hungry, apathetic towards European campaigns and procrastinating :giggle2:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
  19. ddub11

last weekend we pick up 3 points they pick up 1.European performances dont translate domestically.

Slater67 likes this.
  20. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    Pumped by a bunch of nobodies.