1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Rogic and O'Reilly just doesn't work has to be one of them alongside hatate.

King of Kings likes this.
  2. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    This season i'm not overly bothered about Europe tbh, of course it would've been nice to have went on a run and go far, but the League is all i'm thinking about.

It was a really poor performance no question about that, when i saw the team selection i just assumed Ange had chucked it.

All eyes are on the game against hibs at the weekend.

3. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Look how weak the teams left are compared to the other two tournaments.

The European places in Scotland means we’ll probably rarely be in this competition.

4. BigDoggyWoofWoof

Only another 2 seasons til we're cleaning up according to my mate from down under.

5. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    He was bossed tactically in the first game and it killed the tie. They knew exactly how we would play and how to stop us, it worked to a tee, unfortunately.

He needs to learn from this going forward. He also needs to take on board that we can't afford to play two guys like Rogic and O'Riley in European competitions. Especially against opposition of that standard. Our midfield was non-existant for 180 mins.

We need a proper dm to play alongside McGregor and either one of that pair and a left back. Badly.

6. CountyDownFaithful

Can’t argue with our league campaign (so far) but there’s a couple of questions hanging over Ange after the two legs against Bodo.

We need to be much better in Europe going forward. We’ve been embarrassed enough recently.

7. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    There are still teams I'd be wary of: Roma, Leicester, Basel, Feyenoord, Marseille, PSV, Fenerbache.

At the beginning of this season, we weren't even expecting to be anywhere near the title, never mind European success, given the sheer scale of the mess Lennon and the board left us in.

I'm annoyed, and even a bit worried, about the performance over the two legs. Worried about our reputation, worried about the capability of some of the players, worried about the system and even a bit worried about Ange. We'd every right to expect a better performance and every right to be hopeful of progressing, but winning it was never realistic in my view. We're still not even a full season through a complete rebuild.

I'll be far more agitated if these performances carry over to the league and we start dropping points.

JML67, The Prof and Taz like this.
  8. evilbunny1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    The thing that worries me most is that yes Bodo had a lot of time to study how we play and we’re clearly coached and drilled to nullify us and exploit our weaknesses.

On the other hand where was the evidence of us studying how Bodo play how to take advantage of their weaknesses, where were the tactics. It kind of screamed Neil Lennon esque just go out and play football with absolutely no consideration for the strengths and weaknesses of the opponent. It’s a glaring red flag with not just this performance but with Lennon and Rodgers, completely out thought in Europe by teams with a fraction of the budget we do.

Mr Shelby and Ryanm1984 like this.
  9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

10. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Not just tonight to be fair conceded at least twice in EVERY away game in Europe this season

CountyDownFaithful likes this.
  11. Jeffrey

A Celtic manager who does not change their approach in Europe will never succeed.

12. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
  13. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Ongoing problem no matter the manager, no matter the players.

Still early days but will need to up his game. In Europe.

14. Dylan1996 Gold Member Brigade Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Stupid decision no to train on their ground yesterday IMO, pure arrogance that was at fault for a fair few of our dodgy passes tonight

King of Kings likes this.
  15. Pogues

Some of our away performances in europe this season have been pretty good. Not too concerned with this tonight, ange will know exactly what he needs for next season

16. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    I agree but if we need to score 3 to win each time then we are hugely up against it

17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Hate to bring these * into it. But there's Van Bronckhorst switched to a back 5 at HT as the game was turning.

Its worked perfectly for them second half. Could you see Ange doing that? This is what worries me with him in Europe. It's something that also worried me with Rodgers and with Deila.

There needs to be some pragmatism there. We were so naive and looked amateurish over this tie.

Immediately people will use the rebuild etc as an excuse but for me, we should still be expecting better than what I just witnessed.

Free the Adblock and oh bhoy like this.
  18. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I know what you are saying but some of our play this year has been the best I think I've seen us play ever.

Some of that came under circumstances I'd never expect us to be playing the way we did. I don't think I can celebrate that without accepting the downside of it too. Tonight was that downside. I expect less in the future.

Tonight was * but we are going in a direction and at a pace I wouldn't have thought was possible. Almost solely down to Ange.

JML67, Pogues and johnfife1959 like this.
  19. Mr. Slippyfist

There’s only so much that Postecoglou can defend his his “we only play one way” comments:

Either team find it too easy to twig on to the same way a team plays,

or Ange thinks we’re * idiots that we can’t see when he changes the way we play and we lose points.

Regardless of how amazing he’s been this season, he’s done a fair bit of talking * at points…

20. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

We didn’t train on their pitch because we are used to it and had played 2 games on astro already this season…aye because we were brilliant in them games.

Still can’t get over that team tonight, fuming that we gave up on it before kick off and will just say ah well leagues priority when questioned about it. If we had went for it and didn’t come up then fair enough but that was a riddy. Sunday better hurry the * up and if we don’t win that then we will look like idiots.