1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Enjoy. Lots of great stuff in there including how he went mental in the changing room as his Brisbane team equalised to go into half time at 2-2 :giggle1:

Cumbernauld Bhoy67 likes this.
  2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

ANGE POSTECOGLOU is raising his Celtic benchmarks — due to the quality of his SUBS.

The Hoops gaffer admits he sometimes lowered performance expectations during an injury-hit first half of the season.

But returning players and a January signing spree has allowed Postecoglouto set a higher bar again.

Tom Rogic, James Forrest, Nir Bitton, JamesMcCarthy and Giorgos Giakoumakis were among the subs for the midweek win over Aberdeen.

Kyogo Furuhashi, David Turnbull, Yosuke Ideguchiand Josip Juranovic were all out through injuryand illness — while Chris Jullien didn’t even makethe squad.

Postecoglou now has an array of options for his title push and hopes it helps take Celtic to another level.

He said: “We are getting a strong squad which means there’s competition for places and no-one wants to miss out.

“That gives me the opportunity to set higherbenchmarks for us.

With the competition for places, I can rotate theteam and that means that certain things like our intensity, our tempo, our intent to play our football, shouldn’t really drop.

There were probably times, particularly in the first half of the year, where I had to make allowances that we weren’t going to be as sharp as wepossibly could because the players were playing so much football.

“So you assess a game a bit differently, and saywe may have been a bit flat in certain parts of thegame but there’s a reason for that.

“Whereas now, with the talent we have available,irrespective of the changes I make those things should be there.

“It’s not so much changing the team for tactical reasons, it’s about changing the team to make sure everyone can perform at the levels we want.

It’s not about saying ‘He is going to be better than him’.

“It’s more about saying ‘Which 11 players are going to bring the energy and tempo we need,who is looking the best in training, who needs a game to get to that level, who maybe needs a bit of a rest?’

“It’s different for me now. My assessment has a higher threshold than before.”

Postecoglou has Celtic playing a distinct brand of attacking football but he hopes extra bodiesshould help fine-tune that.

The Hoops boss added: “It should, in theory, moving forward.

“Even the Rangers game we were still pretty restricted in terms of what we had on the bench. Not the players but the make-up of the bench.

“It’s only been post-Rangers game that we have got some bodies back and all of a sudden got some real options, both within a game andbetween games.

But I have been around long enough to know that can change pretty quickly as well.

“What I’m trying to do is make hay while the sun shines.

“So I’m trying to get as much in now while we have got the players in and hopefully that stays until the end of the year, which means we can accelerate a lot of things.

“But, if not, and if we are again in a position where we are restricted, we still have a big squad.

We are in a good place. They key word isprogress. The players and everyone have been fantastic but we are still building something.

“We are still putting pieces together to be the team we want and progress is the No 1 thing.

“We have had different challenges in the last week and I am looking at how we are dealing with it all.

“I am really pleased, not just results-wise, but with the performances and trajectory of the team.”

Celtic already have the Premier Sports Cup in the bag, and are now chasing the Premiership and Scottish Cup.

Postecoglou’s side will also start their Europa Conference League bid when they take on Bodo/Glimt on Thursday.

But the Celtic boss insists his players won’t let their intensity drop for the visit of Championship side Raith Rovers.

They have had a perfect start to 2022 and Postecoglou is desperate to continue their winning run.

He said: “It’s the next game and the next challenge and we don’t want to let our standards slip in any way.

“We won’t think we can cruise through a game. The relentlessness is still there, this is a cup we want to do well in.

"We try not to differentiate between the challenges we have — from the league, to the League Cup and Europe

Cup football is a bit different but the football we play is transferable.

“So nothing has changed in our mindset. It’s a cup game and we know the nature of the competitions.

“We have seen it here and all over the world, irrespective of who you are playing it’s a one-off game. It will be a good challenge for us.

“We are at home and that will give us an advantage to play our football, but they will be coming to try to cause a shock and we just have to be ready for it.”

Ideguchi returns to the Celtic squad for the match — with Furuhashi and Turnbull remaining sidelined.

Juranovic is also set to sit out the Cup tie, but should be back for Thursday night.

Postecoglou said: “Ideguchi is probably the only significant difference, he is fully training now and available for the game.

“Apart from the long-term ones, Josip will probably not be back for Sunday but will be fine for midweek.

Crilly and Liam Scales like this.
  3. PaddyBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Joos Valgaeren
    * bless Ange Postefuckingcoglou!

Frightening how much this man has turned the squad, club and our mental health around.

* hero of a man.

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Ange Postecoglou believes Celtic can win the new Europa Conference League.

And the Hoops gaffer says he won’t prioritise the Premiership title over a crack at a European trophy. The Parkhead club face Norwegians Bodo Glimt this week in the first leg of their last-32 tie.

And Celtic manager Postecoglou says his in-form side can go far in the first ever Conference League.

The likes of Leicester, PSV, Marseille, Fenerbahce and Roma could lie in wait if they see off Bodo/Glimt.

But Postecoglou said: “I want to go deep in every competition.

“I’ve never entered anything without thinking about trying to be successful in it.

“I took Australia to a World Cup and thought I could win it. I know people will say I’m being ridiculous but that’s just the way I’m made up.

You go into something and do your utmost to be successful so that’s what we’ll do in Europe. We’re in it and we want success in it.

“That’s what we’ll try to do. I’m not discounting this competition

I want us to perform well in it and win because it adds to the prestige and story of this football club.”

ANGE POSTECOGLOU has provided an update on the fitness of Karamoko Dembele, saying he will look to get the attacker some game time for the Celtic B team instead of rushing him back into first-team action.

Dembele has been out since picking up an ankle injury caused by a horror tackle in a pre-season friendly against Bristol City, but has recently returned to full training.

While happy with his progress, Postecoglou won’t be taking any chances with the 18-year-old.

“He’s been training well,” Postecoglou said.

“He’s been out for quite a long time. We might get him some game time in the B team to start with. We’ll see how he’s tracking.

“He’s training at the moment and getting close to being available.”

There may be an opportunity for Yosuke Ideguchi to return to the side in tomorrow’s game against Raith Rovers after picking up his own ankle knock in the Scottish Cup win over Alloa in the previous round.

Long-term absentee Christopher Jullien will return to the squad, with Postecoglou hinting this tie may be a good chance to get him back into competitive action.

“Everyone got through the game [against Aberdeen] no problems,” he said.

“In terms of availability, there’s still obviously the long-term ones – David Turnbull and Kyogo who are out.

“Josip Juranovic is probably not for the weekend. I’ll probably leave him for the Thursday game. (Yosuke) Ideguchi is now available. He’s had a full week of training and everyone else is okay.

“Christopher Jullien is available. He’ll be in the squad. In terms of game time, whether he starts our not, I’ll have a look after tomorrow’s training but he’s training okay and if we get through training tomorrow he’ll be in the squad.”

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
    OziBeerMan likes this.
  5. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Ange - “I want to win every competition I enter. It’s just how I’m wired.”

Scottish media - “Ange says Celtic can win the conference league”

Idiots.

6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Did you watch the Ralston media conference? Asked him the same question about being behind Juranovic at least 6/7 times. He gave the standard PR answer every time, ‘good for the team, plenty games’ etc etc.

That’s the tactics they use, repetitive questions and one of them might give the slightest bit of a headline, they wanted disharmony amongst the squad headlines. It’s so * boring

7. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I don’t read any traditional Scottish football media and not living back home any more I’m not exposed to it as much either. A lot of the time it’s just what filters through on to here. Do you feel that the rise of fan media has seen it diminish considerably back home too?

Liam Scales likes this.
  8. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The one where they asked Ralston if whilst sitting on the bench does he learn anything watching Juranovic was a belter.

Thought he handled the questions well.

9. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

Really want to see Jullien and Ideguchi today.

10. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

187B8AAC-8739-4AE0-94FF-E71854B145E1.jpeg

2BAFA373-C128-4646-B642-0CB5D17DBA84.jpeg

There ya go mate :50:

Guchi Gucci and lazyregula like this.
  11. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    I just read the 1st few pages of this thread for the 1st time!

We really wanted Howe over this guy :56:

MASSIVE turn around since he has joined.

OziBeerMan, VT8 and lazyregula like this.
  12. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Very honest again

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
    OziBeerMan and FrankMcCallum like this.
  14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Loved how unhappy he was with that first half..

Was livid. Good signs..

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  15. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Hes been quite brutal in his post march comments in places.

Good thing though. I don't think forrest will be here next season.

16. Rydo1888* Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Love his honesty

The team wasn't upto his standards in the match

17. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Love how honest this man is

18. JamesM09

Loved how angry he is at that first half. Don’t think Lennon was ever angry tbh.

19. Orsenfelt

Journo:Has this squad surpassed your expectations in the time you've had?

Ange: Nowhere near my expectations

* me I love this guy.

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member