1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic v Dukla Prague

Discussion in 'The Lisbon Lions' started by James Easton, Feb 6, 2022.

Discuss Celtic v Dukla Prague in the The Lisbon Lions area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. James Easton

Fav Celtic Player:
    Dalgleish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand Old Team
    In my recent, introductory 'newbie' post, I mentioned:

"64 now, maryhill born and bred, dad, now passed on, would take myself to European games and I have fond memories of a big night against the European giants, which were Dukla Prague".

I was only 8-years-old at the time and the thought just occurred... don't suppose there might be archive film of the game?

To my understandable delight, there is and I wondered if I might please highlight same - possibly of historical interest to some of your good selves?

I haven't actually see this yet.. well, not since 1967, so have a 'small refreshment' in dram glass, at the ready.

Cheers dad, mate!

Celtic 3 - 1 Dukla Prague 12/4/1967

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
  2. James Easton

Fav Celtic Player:
    Dalgleish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand Old Team
    Wow.... (dries a tear or three)...

Jimmy unplayable.

Wallace (only just signed?) unplayable.

Chould have been 5-1.

Dirty cheating bast#@ds. :mad:

The chant at 75 mins in, from 75,000...

"Celtic, Celtic, Celtic..". :ynwacelti

The early commentary use of 'stramash'. :giggle1:

cidermaster likes this.
  3. jj81

Who were the other cheats ? Ma da told me but I forgot

Is it atletico Madrid and some South American team?

cidermaster and James Easton like this.
  4. James Easton

Fav Celtic Player:
    Dalgleish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand Old Team
    Athletico Madrid.

The worst ever.

Celtic v Atletico Madrid - 1974

jj81 and cidermaster like this.
  5. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Racing of Argentina.

That series of games for the Intercontinental Cup was notorious for how bad the fouling by Racing was in all 3 games. Celtic won the first 1-0 but the as the South Americans couldn't really cope with the Celts technically, they used fouling more and more to nullify that advantage, and it only got worse once the tie moved to Argentina. The return leg ended 2-1, but not only were the Celtic players getting incessantly and cynically fouled and spat at by the opposition, and it wasn't just the opposition players, as Ronnie Simpson was hit by something thrown from the crowd which floored him and was knocked out cold.

The decider, played in 'neutral' Uruguay, is called the 'Battle of Montevideo' for good reason. The game was a shambles, virtually from start to finish with more of the same in terms of constant cynical fouling, and the referee was pretty inexperienced and competant. As Celtic's discipline and composure after taking so much from the Argentinians over the course of the 3 games began the frey the game became more of a running streetfight as much as a football game, with riot police repeatedly entering to restore order, and 5 or 6 players were sent off between the two teams - including mistakenly sending off Bobby Lennox, who hadn't done a thing. Bertie Auld was sent off for a couple of times when he reacted to being fouled (but he ended up going back on to the pitch to continue to 'play' anyhow, which just underlines how shambolic it all was, but can't be any complaints about John Hughes, who punched the Racing GK (and possibly layed the boot in as well). Racing scored the only goal of the game, but it really was an absolute mess.

There are vids about it floating about. Am sure a google of Celtic Battle of Montevideo will find footage or interviews or something.

6. James Easton

Fav Celtic Player:
    Dalgleish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand Old Team
    Thank you so much for the reply.

I actually remember this from my formative youth as 'the World Club Championship'!

Highlighted because, the following wonderfully captures the history.

Tommy Gemmell:

"So I hit him one almighty kick in the goolies... what a scream he let out"... :84:

Celtic v Racing Club - Battle of Montevideo - Part 1

Celtic v Racing Club - Battle of Montevideo - Part 2

Celtic v Racing Club - Battle of Montevideo - Part 3

7. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I was just a kid when the game was played but remember ma da going daft at how dirty Prague were. The Jimmy Johnstone goal was a delight to see.

cidermaster likes this.