1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt O'Riley

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Jan 20, 2022.

Discuss Matt O'Riley in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. PaddyJamieson

Clever, clever lad. Head screwed on, hard worker. He'll go to the top, no doubt. Like others have said, it's brilliant how Ange is so clear about the type of people he wants to sign, not just players. It leads to a cohesion and harmony in the squad and it's what allows them all to settle in so quickly.

truedub1916 likes this.
  2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The Sky Sports guy that reports on them thinks he’s arguably a bigger prospect than Alli was coming through at MK.

Alli has stagnated but it’s easy to forget a few years ago he was rightly touted as a world class talent. Just has a pish attitude by the looks of it.

O’Riley appears to have the exact opposite attitude, on the face of it.

Cringer67 and Liam Scales like this.
  3. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Ange saying he was injured on Wednesday and didn’t expect him to play but pulled himself through so we pumped them without rogic and Turnbull plus McGregor and Matt played injured when they shouldn’t have!

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

MATT O’RILEY has a taste for title glory after devouring Rangers.

The Celtic midfielder was blown away by the intensity of his Old Firm debut on Wednesday night.

While new boy O’Riley, 21, accepts there is still a long way to go in the Premiership title race, he does believe the destiny of the Premiership is now in the Hoops’ hands.

The 3-0 victory helped Ange Postecoglou’s title-favourites leapfrog their bitter rivals at the top of the table.

O’Riley revelled in the post-match party as 60,000 Hoops fans lapped it all up.

And the transfer-window arrival reckons finishing top of the pile come May would see the wild celebrations go up yet another notch.

Former MK Dons ace O’Riley said: “It really inspires all of us to keep pushing each other to chase the final outcome, which we all know is hopefully winning the league. But at the same time we can’t get too carried away.

“It’s only one game and we’ve got another one on Sunday at Motherwell to focus on now.

But, of course, it’s nice to strive for the best and that’s what we’re going to try to do.

We would rather be first than second, that goes without saying.

“It puts us in a position where we are the people who control our own outcome now.

“We can’t rely on anyone else to drop points, so that’s definitely a better position to be in, and one we want to continue to be in for the rest of the season.

“That’s the plan, but at the same time, we can’t get carried away with it.

We need to take it one game at a time and go from there.”

O’Riley was immense on his derby bow, as he effortlessly made the step up from England’s League One.

He flourished in the white-hot heat of Old Firm derby battle, and feels the big occasion brings out the best in him.

O’Riley added: “Before the game, I didn’t really know what to expect.

I knew the importance of the game and the magnitude of it, but I didn’t know exactly what the experience was going to be like.

“When I got in that stadium and the game started I was thinking, ‘This is pretty crazy’. In that sense, I was blown away.

“Once the game started I was fine. I found my feet again. It was a cool experience.

“I think once you play enough games you do get used to it

Even before the Dundee United game last weekend, I was pretty shell-shocked just by the number of people in the stadium.

“Being able to play that game before the Rangers match probably helped me in terms of my own headspace.

“I am someone who likes playing in front of a big crowd. It’s what I thrive on.

In that sense, I didn’t find it difficult. I think I relish it more than a game when the number of fans isn’t the best. I found it very enjoyable.”

Much has been made of the impact made by Postecoglou’s Japanese signings, understandably so. But in just three appearances, O’Riley has also looked a natural for the high-octane style favoured by the Hoops boss.

He said: “I said before I left my previous club that I didn’t want to go somewhere where the style would potentially jeopardise the way I like to play.

“It was pretty evident that it would be the right style for me here when I spoke to the gaffer on the phone.

He made it clear I would fit in well here, and hopefully that’s shown in the first few games.

“I really enjoy playing football this way. It’s how the game should be played, in my head. It’s nice to be a part of.

“It’s always nice to get the recognition, but at the same time I’m just happy to be playing in a team with good players who have the aim to win games.

“If you do get a draw here, it’s considered a loss, so that’s a big change for me.

But I enjoy being part of a winning culture, which I think we have here.”

While it is not for everyone, O’Riley is also loving the non-stop attention in the Glasgow goldfish bowl.

He added: “It’s definitely been a change for me but I’m trying to get used to it.

“You get a bit more recognition naturally when you are at a bigger club. I’ve had more publicity and attention from the media etc.

When you can show your ability on a bigger stage you obviously get more credit for it. In that sense it’s been nice to show what I can do.

“It’s hard to walk around without getting stopped and asked for a photo, which is honestly pretty amazing.

“It shows how passionate everyone here is about Celtic and football in general

Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
  5. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Get this DOB to *

6. LTPS

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sign
    Tbh mourinho nearly destroyed the boys career

7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

From what we’ve seen (and considering they done an entire Amazon series it was a lot) I’d tend to completely disagree with that. He did his best to help him but he spotted his poor attitude and work ethic instantly and treated him accordingly. Whilst attempting to coax it out of him.

Going back to O’Riley, he appears on the face of it to have an exemplary attitude, a maturity beyond his years and a willingness to improve as well. Early days right enough.

8. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    This * should be gracing the World Cup and Champions League not Fir Park :eek:

9. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

This boy is something seriously special and I don’t say that lightly. Wow.

10. Scottk

Oddly reminds me a bit of paddy McCourt

11. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Don't sell O'Riley

12. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Wit a * steal man. Ridiculous talent.

13. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Boys looking ridiculously good, hes that good he could be nearly as good as Rogic, classy player.

14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Best player on the park when he came on..

He is sensational..

Astonishingly good player..

15. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Was just going to post that. He's different class.

That midfield three of him, McGregor and Hatate is unfair.

16. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Him and Rogic together ... someone post the Spider-Man meme.
    This boy is absolutely class.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  17. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Sky is the limit for this guy. Crazy how Fulham released him.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    His first touch was a flick round the corner for an attack in the 10 position and then the backheel after..

Everything he did was class..

19. Lewis Kerr

His ability to pick out a pass is next level - like verging on world class level.

Incredible signing. So excited to see how he progresses with us

20. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

they didn’t, he didn’t sign a contract. Took a pay cut to go elsewhere and play more football.