1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange's Bhoys vs The Invincibles

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by PaddyJamieson, Feb 5, 2022.

Discuss Ange's Bhoys vs The Invincibles in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. honda Gold Member Gold Member

The old split up but found himself with a new lass the very next day story. Aye sometimes * doesn't work out, but things don't move that fast if something wasn't going on beforehand. Again we won't ever really know but thats part of it.

Born green likes this.
  2. Born green

I'm sure there is more to the story than we know. But I've done as much digging as I'm willing to do, and it's not conclusive, so I'm not going to let that affect my good footballing memories of him.

His form in his final season as our no.1 wasn't his best, but I did think it was over the top criticism. Anyway, I'm not one for villifying Celtic players after they leave. I prefer to look back fondly. There is a very small group of ex-Celts I actively dislike. Gordon isn't one of them.

3. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    Invincibles were a better team than this current one but this one has potential to be better overall in a year or two, anges system will also add to this teams potential.
    I can still see a lot of personel changes happening with this squad over the next windows. If we want to do something in Europe ( like I think ange is aiming for in the long run) the likes of taylor, turnball, starfelt Forrest etc wont cut it as good as they are cause weve seen before how ruthless ange can be in his previous jobs when it comes making changes to improve the team.
    Personally I think this team is more likeable and is less individualistic than the invincibles and will in time show more character when things get tough like we have already seen this season.

4. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Current Rogic looks stronger and fitter than ever.
    Kyogo over Dembele .
    Mcgregor over Broony.
    JJ over Lustig.

I would take Tierney and Boyata only.

5. PaddyJamieson

100% mate didn't mean for one second to take away from that achievement, just trying to figure out why people might overlook it. I'll never remember a season more fondly than that one, it was right as I was getting proper obsessed with Celtic.

6. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Recency bias is incredible…

The invincibles went unbeaten in every domestic competition and went toe to toe with the likes of City.

The Phoenix likes this.
  7. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Aye they were something else. Dembele and Griffiths hit 50 between them despite barely ever playing together. Topped up by Sincy scoring 25.

8. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Think a lot don't like him due to his inability to ever hold his hands up to any mistake and would always blame his defenders. Came across as an arrogant *. His reaction to eduards pen in cup final spoke volumes for him too

9. Born green

Really? I never got that impression from him. I don't remember him blaming defenders at least, but I'll take your word for it.

I actually laughed at that reaction. To be fair, I think a lot of goalkeepers get * off by the panenka penalties, because they are unsavable unless you don't move.

10. Lewis Kerr

That City team wasn't great. They finished miles behind Chelsea that season and comfortably behind Spurs, scoring less and conceding more than both. Didn't win a single trophy and never made it past the last 16 of the CL.

The 3-3 game was unreal because it was our first game back in the CL for years and the first time we played an English team for a long time. Naturally, getting a fair result to the surprise of arrogant EPL fanboys was a great feeling.

But in hindsight, it wasn't an achievement and shouldn't be regarded as one. The Rodgers team was a killing machine domestically, but flattered to deceive in Europe. I don't recall us ever being this easy on the eye under Rodgers - whose circumstances back then massively favoured him compared to what Ange has faced (and continues to face).

11. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Aye couple in Europe spring to mind, 1 with janko and 1 at home in champions league were he ran away out his goal and got skinned by Coman where he blamed Boyata.
    Have a mate who works in media and was talking with him about it and it and he said it was bit of a running joke with press as to who he would blame after the game whenever he made a mistake.

12. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    The competitiveness of the league then and now should always be a factor when comparing both teams. Also the * show Ange inherited aswell

13. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Circumstances and style have nothing to do with who was the better team though.

That City team was still miles ahead of the likes of Leverkusen and Betis.

People have got carried away comparing the teams because of one game against the Huns. If this team go and win a treble and/or the ECL then start comparing them.

14. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Can we wrap this pish now?

The Phoenix likes this.
  15. PaddyJamieson

Aye - and I'm the * who started the thread!

The Phoenix likes this.
  16. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    The Invincibles shat the bed in Europe.. at a much higher level.

Still the consistent theme of us capitulating, shortly after we score a goal or have any decent run of play..

17. PaddyJamieson

Actually this game tonight reminds me of a game under Rodgers - Salzburg at home when we got beat 2-1. Totally outclassed by a team who played a similar style to us but to a more efficient level.

18. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I don't think we're miles away from the invincible in terms of quality (Except Taylor is far worse than Tierney) but the biggest difference was how fit they were. Might be wrong but the only injury I remember back then was Dembele in the cup.

This season, we've currently went without, for months for some:

Rogic
    Turnbull (Still out)
    Kyogo (Still out)
    Jota
    Juranovic
    Starfelt
    Giakoumakis
    Forrest
    Mcgregor

19. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    That was Rodgers' worst team though.

By 2018 our squad was noticeably inferior to the one we won the Invincibles Treble with.

PaddyJamieson likes this.
  20. PaddyJamieson

Aye, not saying that to try and bring up this argument again, just that the match came to my mind. Felt similar.

The Phoenix likes this.