1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

New Iconic bands

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by We named the dog Indiana, Dec 16, 2021.

Discuss New Iconic bands in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. We named the dog Indiana Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic song
    Can anyone think of bands now that will have real iconic influence like say Van Halen, Beatles, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Rage Against The Machine, Deep Purple, Rush, Faith No More, Queen, ACDC and all these massive bands did will in future? There is a few bands i like now but none that are totally iconic so far.

2. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Tough to tell.

Bands like Green Day, Foo Fighters and RHCP are quite iconic right now but who knows how they'll be remembered in 20/30 years. Tbf I'd argue those three are all far more popular than Van Halen and Faith No More.

Fontaine likes this.
  3. scootz

Radiohead
    Public Enemy
    Arctic Monkeys
    Pearl Jam
    Arcade Fire
    Nine Inch Nails

4. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    How do you define 'new'?

Literally some of these bands listed in this thread have been around since the 80's and early 90's, which is a long time if they are only now being considered 'new' or iconic, and literally Arcade Fire and Artic Monkeys are the only ones that have been formed since the turn of the millenium. Maybe using that (formed 2000 onwards) as the marker?

Not really my thing, but I guess Imagine Dragons would fit with that criteria also.

5. stew37

It's a good question, as is the question how you define new.

Bands that have come out in the last couple years, it remains to be seen how iconic they will be. Sitting listening to the Brian Jonestown Massacre thinking maybe they're modern compared to Pearl Jam, Radiohead etc, band I love, and just read they started in 1990.

I'd like to think DMAs are a cut above, they are a great live band. Won't know if they're iconic til maybe 2050.

6. nudge1086 Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke,Lubo,Petrov,lambo,Hooper,Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    One I can think of is the American band The Black Keys, excellent band who have sadly started doing a Muse and are moving away from the sound that made them so great to begin with.

I'll toss another band in there named Tapes n' Tapes who although not in any way iconic had an amazing album called The Loon which was different from the norm. All personal opinions of course :56:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
  7. nudge1086 Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke,Lubo,Petrov,lambo,Hooper,Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Oh and of course wolfmother

8. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Tricky one this. I don't believe you can be considered Iconic until a certain amount of time has past and you still hold major status and have survived the early hype train.

By that logic, I think there's only really one stand out contender:

Coldplay (i cant stress how much i've went off them since A Rush of Blood but still).

You could make an argument for Foo Fighters, RHCP and Green Day as although they were about in the 90s (even 80s for RHCP), the majority of their major success came in the 00s.

The other bands in the maybe pile are likely:
    Muse
    Arctic Monkeys
    Kings of Leon

9. Northerner Ave Maria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I think you'd have to look at the genres that are currently experience a renaissance of sorts at the moment, which I think is post-punk.

It's certainly the most exciting genre that I know of right now as they've taken it in a radically different direction than the post-punk of all.

Fontaines D.C., Idles, Black Country New Roads, Parquet Courts, Protomartyr, The Murder Capital, Iceage, etc. are all putting out great albums and none of them seem like slowing down.