1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    His part can be to come on and kick a few opposition cloggers for retribution in the last 15 minutes.

2. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

:56:

3. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    Shocking our manager has to do this to protect players as the ref failed to-

Ange from Celtics website,

“I’ll be honest, I told some of the lads towards the end of the game not to bother going into tackles but just to look after themselves because I didn’t want any more injuries because I just didn’t feel there was control of that environment.

“This is not me looking at a referee’s performance in terms of the outcome or the result. This is about protection of the players, protection of the environment.

“We had a player who got a serious injury, we had a couple of others who were lucky to escape from that, so that’s why I was disappointed with the way the night panned out.”

honda likes this.
  4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic head to Tynecastle tonight (Wednesday) anticipating, as always, a fiercely competitive match against Hearts.

It will be the fourth meeting between the sides this season, with the Hoops leading 2-1 in terms of victories, and Ange Postecoglou’s side will be determined to take all three points in the capital.

Celtic go into the game on the back of a Scottish Cup victory over Alloa Athletic at the weekend, though that 2-1 win was not without cost, with both Callum McGregor and Yosuke Ideguchi picking up injuries in the course of the 90 minutes.

And reflecting on that match, Ange Postecoglouemphasised the importance of the officials in protecting players from dangerous, illegal or reckless challenges, stating 'that is the referee’s sole responsibility'.

'You want referees to provide that protection for both sets of players, both from deliberate actions but sometimes just by reckless action.'

"There needs to be some sort of control out there so that the players are confident that things aren’t going to get out of control.

“I’ll be honest, I told some of the lads towards the end of the game not to bother going into tackles but just to look after themselves because I didn’t want any more injuries because I just didn’t feel there was control of that environment.

“This is not me looking at a referee’s performance in terms of the outcome or the result. This is about protection of the players, protection of the environment.

“We had a player who got a serious injury, we had a couple of others who were lucky to escape from that, so that’s why I was disappointed with the way the night panned out.”

The Hoops now go into a run of three league games in a week, with the Dundee United and Rangers soon to visit Celtic Park. But tonight, it’s a trip to Tynecastle to face the side currently third in the table and on a run of four wins in a row, including a 5-0 Scottish Cup victory over Auchinleck Talbot at the weekend.

The last time the sides met, back at the beginning of December, a first-half Kyogo goal was enough to give Celtic all three points.

And while the Japanese striker will be absent tonight, the game might present another opportunity for Giorgas Giakoumakis, who netted Celtic’s opening goal at the weekend.

“I thought he did well the other night, particularly because he hasn’t played 90 minutes,” said the manager.

'He looked pretty strong, he took his goal well and I’m sure he’ll improve from there.'

“He’s one of the ones who came in very late in the piece. He didn’t do a pre-season for us and any player will tell you that puts them behind the eight ball straight away, and then he’s had some setbacks in between.

“Over the break we gave the players a week off but he kept coming in and did some really good work with the likes of Chris Jullien and James Forrest – they had like a mini pre-season – so it is like a new beginning for him.

“Now he gets an opportunity to show people exactly why we did sign him.”

5. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Tbh I'm with you but i think I'm being insanely hopeful and ignoring everything I've seen so far :giggle1:

I've just always wanted to see him play for us and it's a shame how he is atm. Still has enough to play in a game like that though!

Liam Scales likes this.
  6. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Should not have been given a 5 year contract. Two years with an option for a third would have been better for him.
    The reality of his situation would make him lift his game if he wanted to stay at Celtic longer at this stage of his career.

His performances would determine a contract renewal.

7. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Its 4 years but aye I do agree. Bit of a mental decision.

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I've got a bone to pick..

We went 2 up and i know the philosophy is high tempo constantly but use your noodle..

We had the game easy. Take a minute..

Every goal kick at 2 nil was quickly played. Every freekick. Every throw..

Just take a breather. It's no wonder we're completely spent by the hour.....which is a concern..

Great win all the same though..

9. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Not criticising as I've done the exact same, but I've noticed we only really complain about Ange after wins :fear:

Major difference from last season, do agree with the critique, but I think Ange was probably wanting a third to kill the game.

10. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    That first 45 was superb, but we need to manage games better over the 90 mins.

11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    We could still get the third just by showing it down a touch and hitting them on the counter...which to be fair should've happened..

George Theodorou and HTG like this.
  12. LTPS

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sign
    Think about it
    We play it quick to get possession of the ball on the pitch and catch hearts players out of position therefore getting on the front foot
    If we take a minute and slow it down hearts get into position and cover..thus making hart kick it long with a greater chance of us losing possession and being on the back foot

OziBeerMan likes this.
  13. Div

We naturally run out of steam over the course of the 90 minutes, down to the way we play. I think we still need that wee bit more quality in the bench for us to then make changes and keep playing that style.

Next week especially, we need to be switched on for the full 90 minutes, our fans will rightly so demand it and its up to these players to do so

14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    I'm no just on about goal kicks or that. Just in general with everything..

There was time's we could easily have just taken a chill pill. We were 2 up and cruising with all of the ball..

Liam Scales likes this.
  15. david100825

Seemed like two different teams in each half. As much as McCarthy aren't wanted they should have been on much earlier. We were overrun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Killing the game is definitely something we need to learn, either through more goals or general play.

Tim-Time 1888 and McChiellini.. like this.
  17. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Agree with @McChiellini.. we need to be smarter with the game management. At 2-0 up we could have slowed the tempo, lulled them in and then play at 100mph, in bursts.
    Instead, again the whole team seemed * at the end, apart from Abada who was great when he came on.

david100825 and McChiellini.. like this.
  18. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

I must say Ange's clear disdain and hatred of the media is brilliant :giggle1:

19. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

What an interview. Bet no * wants to go near him, the producers will be pushing for questions on the referee decisions and the * doing the interview will know what’s coming

Rydo1888* likes this.
  20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member