1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Lee O'Connor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Thumb, Sep 2, 2019.

Discuss Lee O'Connor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    No he was born in and grew up in Waterford. At the time you could not sign a professional contract over there until you turned 16 which is what he did signing for Manchester United when he turned 16. As an aside due to brexit this has now changed and no Irish kid can sign for and move over there until they turn 18 now.

Clearly this was the best move for him and for Celtic. It was obvious he was not in Ange's plans from very early on.

2. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    * * had no idea about that.

Dan Breen likes this.
  3. Paradise_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    All I can do is picture Lennon anytime I see this or hear this lol

Valhalla likes this.
  4. Fear Dearg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Pat Bonnar
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    That applies to all EU players which is a blessing in disguise for Irish soccer

Valhalla likes this.
  5. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Yes internationally FIFA only allows the transfer of minors once they turn 18 with only a few exceptions. One was if the player was in the EU or the European Economic Area which for example includes Norway as a non EU country then the transfer can occur from 16. But now the UK is out of the EU that exemption does not apply to them anymore hence Irish players can now only move to clubs in the UK once they turn 18.

Valhalla likes this.
  6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Be interesting to see if it was us who stagnated his career..

7. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    For some reason I thought UEFA would exempt the Republic so they wouldn’t have to deal with the Republic/North stuff like international allegiance etc.

I take it Republic declared players from the north can still get over at 16 though?

8. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    The * was pished and had a complete meltdown in the Lennon thread the other day.

Disappeared for a couple of days and back like nothing happened.

9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    The ultimate who gives a *..

10. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    That would be a no. If the players hold an Irish EU passport which they would in the scenario your putting up there then they would not be allowed move to a UK club until they turned 18.

11. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    How much did we get is the important thing

12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Feels like Ben Hutchison all over again :42:

He’s been getting good reviews from down there, don’t think good enough for us so I’m ok with us letting him go but I hope we’ve put a sell on just incase.

A club our size if we focus on youth and use the loan system well there will always be some who do well who get left at the wayside, but when it happens we need to make sure in the future it can come back to help us in the future if the talents realised a year or two down the line.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Saidy Janko was that highly rated in the youths he somehow ended up at Porto mate. Others played there way in training for a chance, the man who’s my namesake on here that kept him out the team at the start of the season show’s that more than anything.

if he showed he was good enough he would have got the chance,what reason would be good enough that they wouldn’t when we had one right back on our books, that could also play other positions that we lacked in?

14. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Couldn’t they just apply for a British won for the move?

This is why I just assumed UEFA would exempt them…

15. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    FIFA has accepted that the good friday agreement makes it fully legal for players born in the 6 counties to be Irish citizens and hence eligible to play for Ireland. No Irish citizen is legally allowed move to a UK club until 18 regardless of where in Ireland they are born. Now if a kid born in the 6 was an Irish say U17 international and wanted to move to a UK club and so went about the process of getting a UK passport as well would that then entitle him to move I flat out do not know the answer to that question. I am not aware of that scenario having played out at all yet. But any player in the 6 counties that is on an Irish passport only is a no as they are considered Irish by FIFA.

16. Maestro 08

Prob not explained it very well. Don't think he was showing that he merited a game otherwise he would have. More that there might be more to why he's not showing that potential. Either way it has the same result, no game time. With how well he was regarded and seems to have played previously, and his comment on joining tranmere kind of led me to speculate he wasn't happy here for whatever reason. In the end it doesn't really matter and I'm not fussed about him moving on.

Liam Scales likes this.
  17. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Have to imagine it was a small fee. I don't see Tranmere being able to afford anything significant. There was a year and a half left on his Celtic contract so I would guess it was something in a low 6 figure number most likely.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  18. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    We must have just wanted him gone then I’m guessing, can’t have made our money back including wages/development fee

19. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I doubt the development fee would have been anything other then small 6 figures as well so probably pretty close to even in that category. Wages are wages. Doubt he was on much but he is off the wage bill now with still a year and a half left on his contract when we sold him. All in all the best move for both O'Connor and for us. Hope he does well for himself at Tranmere.

The_Bhoy likes this.