1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

James McCarthy

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Gioventu, Aug 3, 2021.

Discuss James McCarthy in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Pearse67*

He is chronic.

2. OverandOver

Sad to see a player finished at 30.

3. cammy07

Brutal, so so slow. We’re in bother if he has to play any more than a handful of games.

4. tits-oot!

Fav Celtic Player:
    too many to mention but probably Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    I think it's unanimous then..

5. OverandOver

He would be a good player for Alloa actually. A past it player with a bit of extra class - like Sammon

6. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    There was an occasion in the 2nd half where he had all the time in the world to look up and make the pass to Jota who was in miles of space however, he chose to * about with it and ended up nearly getting caught with the ball. He's so slow and cumbersome and offers nothing - especially to Ange's style of play

7. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Yes, you definitely must be watching something different or maybe you just had the beer goggles on m8

Liam Scales likes this.
  8. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    I didn't think he was that terrible tonight and some of his forward passing was actually quite incisive, but it's clear that he's not a natural fit for Ange's system. The main issues are that he's not at all comfortable receiving the ball under even the slightest pressure, and he often takes an age to pick a pass, slowing our play down.

I watched a lot of him under Hodgson at Palace, and as I said when we were linked with him, the style of play was very different to what would be expected of him here. More often than not, he was brought on to sure things up with 20 minutes to go. He never really had to receive the ball facing his own goal, and usually he'd be playing it long or down the channels for Zaha when he did get it.

You can tell from the players Ange has brought in this window that he has a very clear idea of who will fit his system. It appears he has the trust of the board now to bring in his own players, whereas when he first came in, I suspect it was a bit of, 'Ok, we'll get you Kyogo, but we're also looking to bring in McCarthy (on a 4 year deal!).' Because there's no way in * that Ange scouted McCarthy and said: 'This guy will be perfect for the way I want to play'

david100825 likes this.
  9. Fear Dearg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Pat Bonnar
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    Look at his career stats

He has been a bit part player nearly his entire career

I've said it before and I stand by it,over the course of his 4 year contract I'll be shocked if he manages 80/90 games

10. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    This signing has all the hallmarks from the club structure of the past years...

Thank * Ang seems to have put that in the bin ...that's where it belongs and so should the person who sanctioned a 4 year deal.

The Phoenix and Taz like this.
  11. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Soro has had a raw deal, regardless of what anyone thinks of him he's 100% a better option than McCarthy

12. Foley1888

See near the end where he continually played the ball back to Hart rather than having a look around to see what other options he had before receiving it for the third time, is exactly why he can’t play for us again.

He totally kills our system the complete with his refusal to even think about turning on the ball or doing anything other than pass it back in the direction he is facing. He is so slow to get to people he can’t even track a runner. Brown was done and it was time for him to go but was far better than McCarthy is now.

There better be some sort of break clause in that 4 year deal as he is done and we are only half a year in. What would you do with him for another 3.5 years? I would rather play McInroy or one of the young guys who I don’t think are good enough than waste a place in the team on this fraud.

AdamRS and Wee Baldy like this.
  13. SkyeCelt

Any idea what his wages are?

14. david100825

Just simply isn't going to work. Hopefully move him on to some English Championship side. It's not even fitness / match fitness, it's been months and it was Alloa. Jesus.

15. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    They aren’t gonna be low. Wouldn’t surprise me if he was one of out higher earners.

Useless, expensive, and tied down for years.

The 4 year contract decision is genuinely terrible. Gonna be a major task getting him off the books without paying a small fortune.

The Phoenix likes this.
  16. Rogicisgod

Wouldn't surprise me if Ange bought in Guchi to squeeze out James. Typical Ange play get rid of the senior players you don't want one way or another

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

17. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    4 year deal….. was this one of the deals that DD said he was going to handle?

18. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Brutal player.

No idea why we signed him, or why it was for a 4 year deal.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

19. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Totally agree but we would get money for Soro but we won’t get a packet of crisps for McCarthy and he is on good money and we are stuck with him for another 3.5 years.

20. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Ange sanctioned the deal, so McCarthy is on him..

Whether he was forced to take him or felt forced who knows, but you do wonder if the departure of McKay had something to do with Ange not happy with the recruitment.