1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Irish foreign births register

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by TimFloyd, Sep 7, 2021.

Discuss Irish foreign births register in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. TimFloyd Gold Member

Anyone here went through this process? I'd imagine a few have.

I was going to do it through my Irish grandparent but looking on the site there seems to be a few routes.

Is it correct that my Dad (born outside Ireland) who gets citizenship automatically and has now just received his Irish passport I can apply for citizenship through him?

I have most of the documents to hand for my grandparent I think but it would be easier to do it the other way if I can.

How did people on here find the process?

Fear Dearg likes this.
  2. Johniebhoy.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Johnny thompson song
    I got my Citizenship through my paternal grandmother, had to provide a few birth certs and my parents marriage cert, fill in the forms, pay the fee, get the application stamped at the local Garda barracks and send it away to Dublin, i think it took around six weeks to come back.
    There's not a lot to complicate the process as long as you have the relevant paperwork.

TimFloyd likes this.
  3. muaythai postie

Fav Celtic Player:
    lubo
    My parents are Irish so automatically qualify for Irish citizenship and with my passport recently running out I decided on an Irish passport instead of the UK passport just to make it easier to holiday when we're allowed again. Also will be getting my 15 year old son one so he has the chance to work or get an education in Europe.

4. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

I'm in the same boat how did you go about it I looked online and it fried my head

5. TimFloyd Gold Member

When did you do it? I see the register is closed for applicants because of covid and it's giving waiting times of up to 18 months for it to be processed

Yeah I felt the same looking at the website.

Cena likes this.
  6. Johniebhoy.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Johnny thompson song
    I done it around 2016.

7. muaythai postie

Fav Celtic Player:
    lubo
    Sent off for the passport form. once filled in I had to send my dad's birth certificate and parents marriage certificate. Might have needed to send my own( can't remember) but 2 or 3 letters like bank statements and proof of my address. Didn't take too long to get back to me with my new passport.

Cena likes this.
  8. TimFloyd Gold Member

The FBR office just recently reopened again and I applied today.

Just follow the online application, it states just entering your details and the parent+Grandparent details and then you send away the downloaded form with the supporting documents ie birth/marriage certificates etc (they have to be the originals apparently)

There is a checklist at the bottom of the application you can see all the things you need.

Was all pretty straightforward forward it's just the gathering of documents that are a bit of a pain.

Cena likes this.
  9. robbiek

Fav Celtic Player:
    danny mcgrain
    Can you apply for a Irish passport if your great grandparents came from Ireland and you had the proof as in birth lines etc

10. TimFloyd Gold Member

I don't think it extends to great Grandparents.

11. Fear Dearg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Pat Bonnar
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    If your Da is a citizen you can claim directly from him

If it is a great grandparent your only hope is one of your grandparents or parents getting citizenship

robbiek likes this.