1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Ange Postecoglou has shut down talk Kyogo ’s season is over and revealed Christopher Jullien’s injury * is finally finished.

The Celtic boss admitted the Japanese striker is facing months out but he rubbished rumours the fans’ favourite has been ruled out for the rest of the campaign.

Kyogo, who may require surgery on the problem, played through the pain barrier to help Celts win the Premier Sports Cup last month but picked up further damage in the win against St Johnstone before the winter break.

Postecoglou has drafted in Daizen Maeda and has Gio Giakoumakis fit again – and Jullien is set to end 13 months absence against Alloa in the Scottish Cup on Saturday night.

The Hoops gaffer is gutted about Kyogo but said: “He’s not out for the rest of the season. I can assure you of that.

“Kyogo’s injury is more significant than we were hoping it would be and he will be out for a number of weeks.

“It’s not going to be a quick return.

“I don’t know how long and I don’t want to put a timeframe on it.

“Mainly because of Kyogo himself, plus we are still getting him assessed and we need it to settle before we get a definitive answer on it.

“But he will be out for a number of weeks and that is disappointing for us and also Kyogo.

“He loves playing for this club and he can’t wait to be back out there.

“Kyogo is really disappointed and I feel for him because he put his body on the line for us.

“To be fair to him, he wasn’t 100 per cent for the cup final but he scored two goals and helped us win it.

“That is testament to him as a player and a character.

“A lot of people would have taken a different option, so I am gutted for him.

“Kyogo did all he could for this football club and I am hoping that because he got the rewards for that cup final performance, it’s enough to sustain him through this period out.

“He deserves to come back better than ever and he will.

“Kyogo is that type. Whatever timeframe is put on his recovery, he will beat it.

“He is such a determined person and he loves playing for Celtic.

“The fact he can’t go out and perform is hurting him but we will provide him with support.

“I am sure whatever recovery time is needed, he will do his best to be back as soon as possible.”

Postecoglou snapped up £1.5m midfielder Matt O’Riley this week and he is confident he has the strike options to cope with the Kyogo loss.

He said: “We have already brought in Daizen and Giakoumakis is also fit now.

“It feels like we have two new players.

“To be fair to Giakoumakis, he was a victim of us having to do things in a rush in the summer.

“He missed pre-season, he came in late, and then picked up a couple of injuries.

“I feel we have bolstered our frontline with two new players, so I am comfortable with that area.

“There is nothing in the pipeline. We aren’t talking to anyone at the moment.

“But there are still ten days to go and we just have to stay alert and agile.

“I am just keeping Michael on his toes!

“Until the transfer window closes, I won’t rule anything out.”

Postecoglou will lose Tom Rogic for the Old Firm class on February 2 after his Australia call up and he’s sweating on Japan summoning Maeda and Reo Hatate.

He said: “We are awaiting official confirmation but they will both be in the frame...thanks to you blokes in the media!

“Their good performances against Hibs got publicised in Japan.

“It would nice if you started writing they had shockers! We will wait and see what the squad is.”

Postecoglou admitted Jullien’s return is a major boost though after the Frenchman battled back from a brutal knee injury suffered in December 2020.

He said: “He’s been training well since the restart and doing everything with the team.

“He is obviously not ready to play 90 minutes at the level he wants to, more than anything else, but he will get in over the next few weeks.

“There is a good chance he will be involved against Alloa.”

Rydo1888* likes this.
  3. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    We need to be more clinical.

Whether it's because we are just back from a break and there's a few new players here and there but the performances have dropped off second half twice in a row now.

We will need to go for 90 mins on Wednesday if we want to win.

I'm not seeing the we don't stop stuff atm.

The Phoenix likes this.
  4. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Really wish he would take big Tam off after 60 mins.

5. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    He needs to be a bit smarter with his selections imo.

I know people were saying "he's the captain" but there was zero need for Mcgregor to play today, it's the ideal game to rest him.

Also don't think there was any real reason to bring Jota on, he gets injured and we're absolutely *.

Also need to sort out these second half performances, two games in a row where we were absolutely rotten in the second half, we weren't great against St Johnstone second half either.

6. BigDoggyWoofWoof

The injury risk exacerbated by not rotating players is bizarre. I literally can't fathom what the rationale is there. I feel like lessons aren't being learnt.

Also, I'd like to see some sign of attempts to address our weakness at the back in the transfer window. After finding another striker, I'd have thought that would have been top of our list of priorities. The drop off in quality between the back and the front is unreal and needs to be addressed.

The Phoenix likes this.
  7. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

On the second half bit. Maybe my memory is * but I can’t remember too many games this season where we’ve actually played well over the full 90.

Feel like we regularly have a good 45 and an average/poor one.

George Theodorou and Artorias like this.
  8. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Aye there's not many, and it's worrying when we aren't scoring in the first either.

Games like Dundee, St Mirren at home etc are fine to have slack second halfs as we've already blitzed them in the first, but St Mirren Away, Livingston etc are games where if we don't score in the first, it feels like we're guaranteed to drop points.

I do think part of this problem was the squad we've had. We've needed to rely on players like McCarthy, Moffat, Juranovic at RW etc. It's been dire. Once we've got players back from Injury/international I think we'll start seeing major improvements over the 90.

Next 3 games are massive, I honestly think if we win all 3 we're winning the title, even if the huns are still 1 clear after the game against them.

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Love him but he still doesn't use the noodle at time's..

Should've rested Kyogo against Betis
    Should've rested most of our first team tonight at least

There's a dark element to our game where we'll be kicked off the park deliberately and any chance possible. He needs to realise this..

11. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    On top of that, his passivity is really irritating.

Horrendous challenges and poor refereeing needs challenged at all times.

12. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    It's my biggest criticism of him, * it's maybe my only real criticism of him.

Kyogo against Betis, McGregor tonight, he even brought Jota on tonight, which was utter madness.

Kept Rogic on far too long as well, all it takes is one bad challenge and he's out for months, * I wouldn't have started Rogic either.

If McGregor is out for anything longer than 2 months, that's us missing our two best players for the most important part of the season, and both injuries were entirely avoidable.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  13. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Aye im a bit annoyed at him tonight tbh.

Hes gone on about needing more options to rotate the squad and it being a long season and now he has them and doesn't really do it for some key players. If you're not gonna rest players against alloa when are you going to do it?

Mcgregor should have been nowhere near that game. I wouldn't have even brought Jota on. Was a bit naive in the midst of what is a really really crucial period of the season.

Now our captain looks to be out for a month at least.

BigDoggyWoofWoof and The Phoenix like this.
  14. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    It is kind of mad that the two times this season I've got annoyed/Criticised him have came off wins, we really are ungrateful :fear:

Big Marn likes this.
  15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Yep. Just said word for word to you elsewhere mate..

Three on our captain this season that.hes watched. Porteous high round the shinpads. Butcher just on and high. Tonight..

All deliberately on our small captain which everything goes through..

Walking on and shaking this rat * hand...isn't gonna change a thing..

Start making them feel uncomfortable about the decisions they're getting away with..

I'm always in for the honest mistakes thread moaning but we are being completely bypassed from a duty of care standpoint..

Enough is enough..

16. Lewis Kerr

Needs to start pressuring these * up here. It's beyond a joke now.

Also needs to figure out how to break teams down better. 2 goals against that mob tonight is really poor. We should be scoring a lot more this season.

17. OverandOver

He needs to protect our main players better. No need to start Callum tonight.

18. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Sit in with a low block 11 behind the ball against our 4-3-3..

It's the way to play against us, needs to find a different Plan B, in saying that we did miss some easy chances tonight..

George Theodorou likes this.
  19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

ANGE Postecoglou bristled at the suggestion Tynecastle provided his Celtic baptism. What isn’t up for debate, though, was the reaction as the Greek-Australian got off to a losing start on the opening night of the league campaign with suggestions that he was out of his depth.

On the back of a losing Champions League challenge and with a squad in disarray, Celtic as a club looked still to be cast adrift following the chaos and unravelling of the doomed ten-in-a-row campaign. And yet it was Tynecastle where Celtic were afforded the first glimpse of Kyogo Furuhashi who had barely digested his inaugural team lunch than he found himself sitting on the Gorgie bench

There has been a particular trinity this term between Celtic, Postecoglou and Furuhashi and redemption has been swift. The first trophy of the season has been banked and along the way there has been a harmonising within the club with the support firmly singing from the straight-talking Postecoglou hymn sheet.

If there has been a stirring within Celtic this week given the immediate impact of Reo Hatate and Daizen Maeda coupled with the gap at the top coming down to four points, there is a feeling it will be put to the test on Wednesday night as Postecoglou returns to Tynecastle.

“I wouldn’t call it my baptism,” he said with regards to that opening game of the season. “I had already been baptised by then, we had had a couple of Champions League games. But obviously it was a disappointing start to the league season for us.

“We played okay and certainly did enough in the game to get a result out of it but not winning wasn’t a great way to start off our campaign. At the same time, I do remember it was in the middle of a pretty hectic period for us.

“I think Kyogo had just arrived at lunchtime that day. He had lunch with the boys and then I put him on the bench. Carl Starfelt had only been in a couple of days and just joined us. It was a tumultuous time for us and but we were disappointed not to start the season better than we did.

The whole idea is to build a strong squad,” he said. “We have competition in midfield but also up front and at the back. That is what we want, we want an environment where guys are getting challenged every day and I think that is what the players want.

“Sometimes players get a bit insecure if you bring good players in, but what I think is that the best players, the ones who want to be successful, welcome new players because it challenges them and it increases their chance of success.

“The environment is really good and all the guys have embraced the new arrivals.

“As a manager the worst thing that can happen is you bring in new players and the others don’t think they are up to the same level. Because then they think why did you bring them in? I think the one we have brought in are contributing already and the guys can see that and that is what they want.

“They want to be challenged every day because if you just want to be comfortable you are not going to be successful. Certainly not at this football club.”

There will be a few familiar faces on Wednesday night in Cammy Devlin and Nathaniel Atkinson. Overlooked by Australian manager Graham Arnott they are available to play against Celtic. Devlin spoke highly of Postecoglou in a recent interview with a Sydney newspaper and complimented him on how he has conducted himself since he arrived in Glasgow.

I could introduce Cam to a few people who probably don’t like me!” joked the Celtic manager. “Nah, he is a good lad and a good player, they also have Nathaniel Atkinson who I know from Melbourne, and I am super pleased for them.

“They are Aussies and I have followed their careers pretty closely. They are good young players and good young men as well. They are in a great environment. With a good club and I think this league is good for them and I am happy they are getting the opportunity.

“Hearts are going really well so I expect Wednesday to be a really good game. They are having a good season. They have been very consistent, not too many dips I can remember, and I think that has been reflected in their results and their performances. They will want to keep doing well and that is the challenge for them.”

Celtic’s challenge is just as clear.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member