1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt O'Riley

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Jan 20, 2022.

Discuss Matt O'Riley in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. s'escocès!

All players with O' in their surname should be automatically qualified to play for Ireland.
    All players with "Mac" In their name should be the same for Scotland.
    :34:

Fear Dearg and martin_d like this.
  2. Hope N Ur Heart

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone followed closely by Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Them all!!
    Reo:biggrin:

s'escocès! and Dan Breen like this.
  3. Heb Celt

Ola,bebe

4. Fear Dearg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Pat Bonnar
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    Mac/Mc originates in Ireland:60:

And their are Scottish O's

Ogilvie for example

s'escocès! likes this.
  5. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Just as an aside as I often get that from Americans here that Mac is Scottish and O is Irish. Firstly Mc is just a shortened version of Mac which means son in Irish. O which should be with an accent mark called a fada above the letter not beside it as an apostrophe which is the most common spelling today that means grandson of. The equivalent females versions would be Ni and Ui both with accents above the i. Neither is Irish nor Scottish. They are all Gaelic equally Scottish and Irish.
    Ok language lessons for today done:83:

6. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

He did say O' to be fair

s'escocès! and Fear Dearg like this.
  7. Fear Dearg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Pat Bonnar
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    Not to be a pedant but there is no apostrophe

The O/Ui is a stand alone word

s'escocès! likes this.
  8. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Came in to see if we think he would start tomorrow and leave feeling like Albert Einstein, after a history of Scottish & Irish surnames.

s'escocès! likes this.
  9. s'escocès!

Was just a throw away joke but love a good chat about linguistics and onomastics :56:

Ó and Mac are definitely the most defining and recognisable characteristics of each nation's surnames, due of course to shared gaelic influence and history.
    But then of course many traditional Irish and Scottish surnames are Norman, Brythonic or anglo-saxon in origin. Neither Scotland anor Ireland are some parangons of ancient purity as they are perceived from afar. We are, as all nations, a melting pot of cultures and all the better for it.

tarboltontim and eire4 like this.
  10. s'escocès!

There is on the back of O'Riley's top /s

11. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Agreed.
    I really do get that misconception from Americans quite a bit about Mac being Scottish and O being Irish when in fact they are both Gaelic words and belong to the Gaelic Celtic language of both countries. The Briton's and their language of course being our Celtic cousins also. The Normans being of Viking origin with Viking blood being very much part of the make up of both Ireland and Scotland also.

s'escocès! likes this.
  12. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    * no even Scottish or Irish and * are having full debates about history cos of his name :57:

13. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Really looking forward to this one

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

IT’s not every young player who would turn down the security of a big-money contract to move down the divisions in search of first-team football, but then not every player is Matt O’Riley.

The new arrival at Celtic raised eyebrows when, as a promising 19-year-old on the fringes of the Fulham team, he decided to reject a new deal on faith alone that a club would come along where he could play a more central role.

It took a while, with O’Riley training on his own in public parks for a number of months, but eventually the call came from MK Dons, where he eventually went on to become the team captain.

That gamble has now paid off in even more handsome fashion after he became Ange Postecoglou’s fifth signing of the window, and his new manager says that O’Riley’s steely determination to become the best player he can played a huge part in convincing him that the 21-year-old was made of the right stuff for Celtic.

"That is part of the process for me - I don't just sign players, I sign people,” Postecoglou said. "That is important and I had a great conversation with him.

"He is a very mature young man and credit to his parents for his upbringing. He knows what he wants to do and what his priorities are right now.

"Matt was prepared to take a step back to MK Dons after he left Fulham, in terms of the levels he was playing at, because he backed himself. He could have had a more comfortable existence where he was but he went down a level and then won a move to a big club.

Matt has a burning desire to reach the very top and that's great. Those are the types we want at the club.”

O’Riley’s clearance is not expected to be through in time for him to play against Alloa in tonight’s Scottish Cup tie, and the initial problem for the former England youth international may well be that the Celtic midfield is already well-stocked with that type of player Postecoglou so admires.

The Celtic manager says that his versatility will work in his favour though.

Matt can play in different midfield positions and I like that area to be very fluid for us,” he said.

"I want players who can move about and Matt fits that perfectly.

"He can play in the deeper-lying role as he has a great passing range, but he also has a goal threat and can play further up.

"Matt is only 21. He has really good attributes and will fit into the way we play.

"That can help us in different areas and he will be able to play in a couple of roles for us.”

From O’Riley’s perspective, he has already made clear that the style of football deployed by Postecoglou – and where he sees himself thriving within it – played a huge role in his decision to snub interest from elsewhere and make the move to Glasgow.

"Matt's comments on our style of play aren't a reflection on me - it's about the work we have done so far,” said Postecoglou.

"The players are the ones out there exciting the fans, not me. They have delivered performances and bought into how we want to play football.

"For me, that's a really strong part of the culture of this football club. It's a club built on success but it also demands success in a certain style. That's the kind of team we want to be but we are not there yet.

"From the first day, the supporters can see what we are trying to do and we need to continue that now.”

Postecoglou had previously said that he expected no further business in the transfer window, but he explained he had been keeping an eye on O’Riley’s situation for quite some time in case he became available.

The deal did happen quickly this week but he's one that was on our radar in the summer when I first arrived,” he said.

“I kinda looked at it then and for a number of reasons the timing wasn't right.

"But I have followed him in the first half of the season and he's been really good for MK Dons.

"When we came into the window, the first priority was to tie up the deals that we did.

"Matt's situation then surfaced a few days ago and I thought if we could move quickly it would be a good one for us.

"He's a talented player and I had a good chat to the lad, so he will fit in really well. From my perspective, once I knew it could be done then I was really keen.

"Michael and the club concluded it in a couple of days, so although it felt like it came out of the blue it was one that was in the pipeline for a while.”

15. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Ange said he won’t join the group to next week

16. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Said in the rags his international clearance won't be through in time

17. GavCFC1

Would’ve been an ideal game to get him some minutes. Get him on the bench for Hearts and start vs Dundee Utd

McChiellini.. likes this.
  18. Hydrobhoy

reminds me of christie

19. Big Marn

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Ange Fenian Song
    Good to see that Matt McRiley chose Hoops over West Brom, who also came in on the 11th hr with a higher bid than they did initially.

20. oh bhoy

ó is the gaelic word for 'from' as in Matt from Riley (riley being the ancestors first name)