1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Johnny Kenny

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Jan 5, 2022.

Discuss Johnny Kenny in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He looks the definition of #RAW as you would expect from an 18 year old coming from Ireland.

Hopefully get a wee glimpse of him here and there. As Ive said, would love to see a young striker come through with us.

Tommy25 likes this.
  2. celtic warrior

Should be immediately loaned out to a spl team.

Get him senior experience in the league.

3. ArturBorucCSC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    Well he got immediately injured and is now out for a few weeks, so that won't happen unfortunately.

You couldn't * write it

4. Fear Dearg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Pat Bonnar
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    * sake

5. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    How the * did he do that already? Did he pull his hamstring collecting his baggage from arrivals in Glasgow Airport?

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

And among those who could possibly benefit from the ruling as the season unfolds is new Bhoy, Johnny Kenny who flew in from his native County Sligo earlier this week as Ange Postecoglou’s fourth signing of the January transfer window.

The manager said: “Johnny’s one we’ve been tracking for a while through our scouts over in Ireland and he was one that was put to me in the summer window.

‘We’ve been tracking his progress and we like what we see in terms of his development so far.’

“He’s already had a year of senior football and he has some really good attributes. So we thought it was a good opportunity to bring him in in this window, obviously with the league finishing over there, we took advantage of that.

“In discussions with him, he was keen to come across. Our scouting department’s been tracking him for quite a while, he’s only 18 and we’re trying to bring in players who we feel we need right now, but also not discounting the fact that we need to look a bit further ahead.

“Once he settles, he’ll start training with us, settle in and hopefully look to make an impact over the next year or so.”

Tommy25 likes this.
  7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Hope he is a success with us, but signing's of this nature make you wonder about Lennoxtown, could we be doing more to promote our own youth ?

9. King Kwon Gold Member Gold Member

I think the most talented striker in the academy right now is probably Rocco Vata who is like 15 or 16. Probably they were looking to bridge an age gap between the experienced strikers here and the youth.

ArturBorucCSC likes this.
  10. Paradise_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Are you sure he’s a striker seen the B Team a few times and he’s always played wide for them never up top at all

11. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Dont regard him as a boost to the squad, he wont feature for us this season.

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Johnny Kenny’s talents were ‘obvious’ from a very young age, as he scored goals for fun for his school, Coola Post Primary.

Kevin McCarthy, who coached Kenny during his time at the school, said that while there was no doubting his talent, his small stature could have got in the way.

“It was very obvious when he came in in first year that he was a special talent,” McCarthy said.

“I remember we played our first school game, the first one I was involved in, we played Summerhill in a friendly and we beat them 6-2 and he scored all six goals.

“But at that stage, he was very small, you were wondering if he was going to grow. Which he did, eventually.

Before the first lockdown I was looking down at Johnny and when we came back a few months later in September, I was looking up at him. Once he started to grow it just took off then

As he grew he had growing pains and was picking up hamstring injuries from 14, 15, 16 and once he came out of that and once he got his growth spurt he was banging in goals right, left and centre for Sligo Rovers and the school and then onto the Rovers senior squad.

“It was only really a question of whether he was going to grow or not to get out of picking up injuries. And once he did he was unstoppable.”

For everyone at Coola PPS, seeing Kenny progress to the Sligo Rovers first team, and earning call ups to the Republic of Ireland Under 19s squad, scoring on international duty and now signing for Celtic is the sort of stuff dreams are made of.

“It’s great to see him rewarded for all his hard work going back over the last five or six years. Great boost for the school as well to see his career progress, particularly over the last five or six months as he went into Sligo Rovers, seeing him get his first goal, seeing him get his first cap for Ireland and then getting the move over to Scotland. It’s made everyone in the school very proud.”

Kenny has been praised by all who have worked with him for his hard work to get himself to the level he is at.

Good coaches have helped, but Kenny’s own determination means he was able to add to his game over the years.

“Even when he came in in first year he was a good goalscorer and by the time he got to third year he was scoring all sorts of goals, left foot, right foot, headers, it was obvious he was working a lot on his own. I know from speaking to him he was doing a lot of strength and conditioning on his own.”

The Riverstown native completed his Leaving Certificate this summer while also scoring for Sligo Rovers.

“It helped raise the profile of the school,” said McCarthy, who added that Kenny joined Sligo Rovers’ John Mahon, his then team-mate, on a visit to Coola before Christmas.

Both players are past students of the school, and both picked up awards at the end of Rovers’ 2021 campaign, with Mahon picking up player of the year, and Kenny awarded young player of the year.

McCarthy said: “Credit has to go to the clubs that developed them. They put in a lot more work than we did. The school is very proud of all they have achieved and all that they will achieve in the future.”

The non-uniform days at Coola PPS will probably see more and more ‘Kenny 24’ jerseys being worn at the school, while Kenny himself makes sure to keep an eye on his school and their progress in football competitions.

Before Christmas, McCarthy and Keith Raymond coached Coola to yet another Connacht title.

And Kenny was quick to get in touch, despite being busy in Scotland.

When Johnny was signing over in Celtic, on the day we played the Connacht final, the first two congratulatory messages we got afterwards were from Johnny Kenny and Johnny Kenny Senior.

“Even though he was over in Scotland sorting out his future he still remembered the school was playing in a Connacht final.

13. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    "The non-uniform days at Coola PPS will probably see more and more ‘Kenny 24’ jerseys being worn at the school, while Kenny himself makes sure to keep an eye on his school and their progress in football competitions"

We only signed him to sell jerseys in Coola and tap into the Connacht market... disgrace.. sack the board...

Fear Dearg likes this.
  14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

JOHNNY KENNY has revealed he's gone through a "rough patch" with injury and self-isolation after sealing a move to Celtic.

The striker, 18, became Ange Postecoglou's fourth January transfer signing after agreeing a five-year deal at Parkhead.

But his switch from Sligo Rovers was halted by injury and having to self-isolate after being identified as a close contact after a driver's positive Covid test.

Despite his difficult start to life at Celtic, Kenny told The Sligo Way podcast he's loving his time in Glasgow.

Discussing his start at Celtic, Kenny said: “I had a rough patch because I’m out injured now for a few weeks and I’m just out of isolation.

"I’m on the hunt for an apartment now. I love it over here but I have to get an apartment now to settle down.

“My driver that brings to me to training had Covid so I had to isolate for 10 days.”

Kenny went on to hail the "unreal job" Postecoglou has done at Celtic since his arrival in the summer as he insisted "everyone's behind" the Greek-Australian boss.

On the atmosphere at the club and support for the manager, Kenny added: “It’s very good to be fair.

"He’s come in and he’s done an unreal job there, up the top and they won the trophy about a month ago.

“He’s good, he’s very good. On the pitch, I haven’t been with him yet if I’m being honest, but off the pitch he helps me.

"He’s told me that if I stick at it then I’ll get my rewards and he’s been great to bring me to the club. I think everyone’s behind him.”

16. Fear Dearg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Pat Bonnar
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    And we all know Coola is a hotbed of hunnism anyway

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

And he's ready to introduce the one January signing yet to make his debut to the first-team squad soon with a route being planned for teenager Johnny Kenny.

And young Johnny Kenny is getting to a space where he can train with us.

18. Heb Celt

I always thought this guy would have gone straight in to the colts team but sounds like Ange is going to utilise him in the 1st team soon with our heavy schedule of games.Looking forward to see what he can do.

19. celtic warrior

If we look hard enough I guess there would be talent in any league we could buy to help improve squad strength.

Personally see him going the way of guys like Shaw and Urhoghide.

Also as solid as he's been and with the sudden turn around in form from Taylor...if we go out and buy a LB that's somewhat close the level of Juranovic then even Scales won't be getting a look in for game time.

However saying all this...next season, under the assumption of winning the league, I'd be happy to put domestic cups games at risk and use those games to play most of the fringe players assuming they are still here.

20. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    In first training in that video.. miles off I reckon though for this season

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk